Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone-

I am trying to find myself once again after completely losing myself post goal. I had the surgery in December 2011 and honestly it was too easy. The weight just came off and I had to remind myself to eat. I actually got "too" ambitious and made myself gain weight to a place that felt healthier to me. I did really well for the first 3 years. I had some weight creep on but these past 3 years I became full on menopause and it has not been pretty. The hot flashes and the metabolism changes were rough. I was so religious about the food intake and I think that is when my small caloric intake had a huge collision with menopause. My metabolism was non-existent. I played tennis 4 times a week for 90 minute sessions and the weight started creeping up. Long story short, between not making myself a priority (zero self care) and no metabolism and allowing sugar back into my life (never again! I was like a druggie when I detoxed this time) I was a wreck and 45 pounds over goal.

I tried to find support groups but the 30-somethings didn't have the same problems that I did in the face to face meetings. I was too far away from my original surgeon to talk to him and my new surgeon just said to stop eating and move more. That was so unhelpful. It actually gave me a sense of shame that I just felt was failure and it caused me to curl up in a ball and I didn't try to do anything else.

Still not sure if I have done the right thing but I have a new ob/gyn that is marvelous. He didn't say "just deal with it" when I talked about what seemed like never ending hot flashes. He actually took a look at me as a whole person-not just a pair of ovaries. We did gallons of blood work but he was able to get me on a hormone regimen where I don't live in a perpetual sweat. Then I asked him about the weight gain and metabolism issue post menopause AND the fact that I was post-WLS. He stuck with me and is helping me find the answer.

I am his first WLS patient on this serotonin weight program that a colleague came up with and it appears to be doing the trick. While others on this program have a hard time with the Protein and veggies ONLY diet, it was easy because it was like remembering what it was like post-surgery all those years ago. It is easy to follow. It does have a phentermine component but he explained the chemistry between the serotonin and phentermine and how it helps boost my metabolism. I did have to face the sugar and wheat demon...I am winning the fight so far but it is a big demon so I am on high alert. 10 pounds down after 2 weeks and 35 to go until goal. The number is so much smaller than before surgery but I imagine it will be just as hard to reach. Those last 10 are nasty boogers.

So my question is...I needed a RX to wake up my metabolism. Is this going to a chronic issue because we can only eat small amounts of food? My doc has composed a suggestion of food pairings that I alternate every 2 weeks to keep the metabolism going now that is has woke up. I play tennis at least 4 times per week for 90 minutes at a time. I am not a sedentary person and yet my whole body turned on itself at menopause.

Anyone else have issues with weight regain after full onset of menopause? Did you struggle with your body thinking it was in starvation mode all the time? What did you do? I might be crazy for going to this extent, but the weight gain was bringing previously extinguished co-morbidities back. I had to do something to get my health back. This was my answer.

Would love to hear if you are in the same boat. I like the scale going down again but i have to admit that I was more than a little sad that I had to find a way to give my Gastric Sleeve a boost to start the train rolling down the track again. I thought it would be a lifetime tool and it needed a boost for sure.

Thanks!

Teachkdz0507

Choosehope, have you made the decision to have surgery? I will be 59 in 2 days and will be having surgery a week after that. Why? Because, like I told my Dr on the 1st visit "I choose life over couch" "I choose Freedom over Fibro meds". Hang with me girl, you can do it!!

Good foryou Treat-Mema! I am 6 years out and had the surgery a week after my 59th BD. Never regretted a moment. IMG_5698.thumb.jpg.c05a6a974d2fa8a21f0cea37e95ccbe3.jpg