Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my first post on this site. I'm 61 and having my sleeve done tomorrow the 17th. I'm nervous but reading all these posts from all of us in the same age range makes it much easier. Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 67 now and had my surgery in Dec @66yrs old. I was worried about my age but I had no complications. When the endocrinologist told me I didn't need to take my pre diabetes mess any longer when I left the hospital Iwas thrilled. I no longer take cholesterol mess and am down to one BP med. This is possibly the best decision I have made for ME!!!!

Hi everyone! Queen of Crop here....most of you don't even know me but I was on this forum daily for at least 2-3 years in the beginning. I am almost 6 years out now and decided I needed to check in again. I was 58 at surgery (am now almost 64). I lost all my weight at exactly one year (83 lbs) and kept a weekly blog about it which I turned into a book called Queen of Crop. It completely changed my life as it will all of yours. But now, 6 years out I have gained 10 lbs back and realize , like so many, that you have to be diligent....the first 6 months to a year is your honeymoon period so lose as much as you can and learn new skills and exercise! It's like your youth; it will go by fast! Good luck to all of you.

IMG_5698.jpg

Great to see you again Queen!
Some of us are still here... others have moved on for many reasons .
I'm 10 years plus bander and still trying!
Hope your book did well. Do tell!
Ps you look healthy and younger!!

Hello dearest Queen. Lovely to see a post from you. You were my greatest inspiration when I was a newbie and I devoured your book with great gusto so that I could have a hint of what my weight loss journey could be like. It should be required reading for all the newly sleeved as it is just simple common sense from front cover to back. Oh yes, and humour, which always makes things that much more enjoyable.
I'm now in the maintaining camp having had my surgery 18 months ago at the age of 58. I reckon that the really hard work starts once the main bulk has left your frame and the maintenance has to become part of every day life. It's hard sometimes. Worth it though.
I walk 6-7 miles with my dogs every day, loving every step of it. I do two ballet classes every week with a teacher who taught me when I was a professional dancer. Although I take it a lot easier and don't have the ability (or the suppleness or strength) to get my legs up around my ears I can quite happily move my normal weight body around the moves. The thought of even trying to do that with all the pre-sleeve excess weight just doesn't bear thinking about! I couldn't have done it.
As far as I'm concerned, it's never too late to start an active life so bariatric surgery in later life is one of the most wonderful options open to those of us who wake up one day and find, to our horror, that all those random extra ounces that were slowly creeping onto our frames have turned into serious poundage!

I will have sleeve surgery on July 18th 2017 my 56th birthday is August10th i see my surgeon on August 9th one month after surgery wow am I really looking forward to this I'm not really sure I'm not nervous or concerned about the surgery what I'm concerned about is whether I will be able to hold down any of the Protein Shakes I did buy the Protein Water expensive as hell 12 bottles $19.99 at Sams a total rip-off but a girl got to do what a girl got to do so yes I bought it and I like the Premier Protein Waters very tasty too 20 grams of protein per bottle and it's a 16 oz bottle well 16.9 Oz and as it comes in one flavor tropical punch has 90 calories though and of course zero grams of sugar and it says one serving per container so one whole bottle is one serving we'll see keep me uplifted in your players this journey is real and I ready to get it rolling my weight now is 274 as I haven't been on the scale at 4 weeks after all my classes were done and I went to see my surgeon I just don't want to get on it but I will and do time expressly before I start this liquid diet and after oh great I'm looking forward to that not really but I was trying to psych myself up anywho I've been on a sweet binge for last two and a half weeks and I vowed that I would not touch another one my grandson's came and it has been Dairy Queen Dairy Queen Dairy Queen I don't want to see a damn Dairy Queen I bought some sugar free popsicles if they want one feel free I also bought sugar free fudgesicles sugar-free this is sugar free that they don't care long as they get something sweet it sweet enough but granny has got to get it together I'm too young for this mess overweight I know the weight I have lost which I went from a size 24 to a size 16 already what 16/18 more of 18 side let me put a w in front of that 18 women has anyone noticed that all the way drop down to the hips by the butt in the back I got saddle bags I hate it

Edited by Cynthia powellholmes

Hi Julie....better late than never! You sent this to me months and months ago...to be honest, I stopped going onto BP because I couldn't type anything...it kept stalling on me...so I just changed browsers and now it's working. But thank you so much for touching base!

I was just interviewed on the radio podcast wieghtlosssurgery.com with Reeger Cortell. She asked me to be on the show because of the book and because I was a veteran. (6 years this October). And there aren't that many of us really.

I am still struggling with these 10 lbs...I sure wish I knew of a Sleeve Retreat I could go to to get back on track. Am almost tempted to start one myself, but I doubt people would come to Europe. Thoughts?

HI Jintycb!!!

Better late than never! You sent this to me months and months ago...to be honest, I stopped going onto BP because I couldn't type anything...it kept stalling on me...so I just changed browsers and now it's working. But thank you so much for touching base and your lovely compliments...I remember when you were first starting and that we started at the same exact weight! Are you still at 137# Wish I was!

I was just interviewed on the radio podcast wieghtlosssurgery.com with Reeger Cortell. She asked me to be on the show because of the book and because I was a veteran. (6 years this October). And there aren't that many of us really.

I am still struggling with these 10 lbs...I sure wish I knew of a Sleeve Retreat I could go to to get back on track. Am almost tempted to start one myself, but I doubt people would come to Europe. Your'e the closest I know. Thoughts?

Hi Julie....better late than never! You sent this to me months and months ago...to be honest, I stopped going onto BP because I couldn't type anything...it kept stalling on me...so I just changed browsers and now it's working. But thank you so much for touching base!
I am still struggling with these 10 lbs...I sure wish I knew of a Sleeve Retreat I could go to to get back on track. Am almost tempted to start one myself, but I doubt people would come to Europe. Thoughts?

Nice to see you on the boards
Reeger is an awesome podcaster... I will look for your interview. Lovely to see some veterans still around! 11 years in December for me ... seems like a lifetime ago.

to my fellow "oldies, but goodies"!!:rolleyes:

i was one month shy of 58 years OLD when i was sleeved 12/15/11.
now i am 63 years YOUNG!!

DOS weighed 235 DOS

present - GOAL 130 lbs

you're never too old to have WLS

life is good.

I'm/we are not getting older, i'm/we're getting better;)

kathy

HI proudgrammy! I remember you! We were so similar! I turned 58 a few days before my surgery, am 63 now. Weighed 223 lbs, lost 90 lbs (but I have gained back 7 in the past year...but am working on it). But I agree....YOU ARE NEVER TOO LATE TO GET HEALTHY AND LEAD THE LIFE YOU WERE MEANT TO LIVE!!!!!

Author of Queen of Crop

IMG_5698.jpg

25 minutes ago, Queen of Crop said:

I remember you!

@Queen of Crop

back at ya

i remember you traveled the world while you were

losing weight. i was always amazed how you could be

successful with so many different foods at your fingertips!!

but you did it!! (always knew you could!)

where is your new home/country? like i said above, "you are not

getting older, you are getting better!"

As @Julie norton said " Lovely to see some veterans still around! "

pop in more often if you can. always nice to see you and

your pretty smile:rolleyes:

take care

kathy

Yes, we traveled for 14 months....had my surgery in the middle of it all! A weird time for sure...never even had a blender to use after my surgery but I made it work some how. It was a very exciting time. I moved from Hawaii to Amsterdam almost 5 years ago...and we love it here!!!

But as I said, I am really struggling to keep the weight off now...as you know, at this stage you can eat and drink anything and some of those old habits are creeping in. Does anyone know of a Veteran sleeve retreat to get those of us back on track? I am thinking of putting one together myself, but would rather just pay the money and have someone else organize it! Still, I am so happy to have done this!!! Any other veterans still around????

www.queenofcrop.com

Hello...
I am 55 and just getting started so I will be 56 by the time I have surgery. The common sentiment I hear from everyone here is that they are sorry they waited so long and they'd do it again in a minute. I don't think we're too old at all. 1. We deserve a good life and 2. We will be extending our life.
I'm still learning my way around this site and look forward to meeting new friends. The journey is better with support. [emoji4]
PS: How can I get a ticker like so many others on here?

Ticker....I'm on my phone app right now and I don't see that here but if you're on the computer go to your profile settings where you add your stats and you should see the ticker section there...I kind of stumbled into it but it's there.