Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good topic, I day 5 from vsg and have a drain, annoying but I didn't get a lot of info on how long I would have it, etc. don't mind getting rid of potentially dangerous liquids, however it's counter productive to keeping the hydration up I would think. I'm getting 10 to 20 cc about every 6 hours now, don't know what's normal..

Calling my doctor tomorrow because I'm not sure what's normal but I've increased Fluid output in my drain each day ( I'm 7 days post op). First 24 hours home from the hospital I had 75cc, in the last 24 hours 165cc! Yes seems counter productive since I'm trying to get fluids INTO my body. I guess it's great that this fluid isn't building up in my abdomen. liquid is clear and Amber in color as it should be, but I'm still having a lot of pain associated with it. Can't wait to get it out!

I didn't have one for my band but I did for my band to sleeve revision. They pulled it out the morning I went home. It was a pain and they had to pin it up to my gown so I could do my walking in the hallways or it was banging on my knees. That incision is still the sore one 2 weeks later.

I'm so glad you posted this question! My surgery is scheduled for June 22. My surgeon said he'd be fine with me taking out my own drain about seven days post op, as I am a nurse and live about an hour and a half away. Has anyone pulled their own drain out after their VSG? How did it feel? Or how did it feel to have your drain pulled out by a health care team member? I've never had one before. Thanks for your input!!

My surgeon never mentioned anything about drains… I never had them for my band surgery and never had them for my band removal. Does anyone know under what circumstnaces drains are used? Thank you!

I never had drains for my sleeve surgery. I don't know why they are used, maybe just surgeon's preference? Some do some don't? I did have them for my Tummy Tuck and it was the worst thing I have ever experienced, so be glad if you don't have them!!!

I'm so glad you posted this question! My surgery is scheduled for June 22. My surgeon said he'd be fine with me taking out my own drain about seven days post op, as I am a nurse and live about an hour and a half away. Has anyone pulled their own drain out after their VSG? How did it feel? Or how did it feel to have your drain pulled out by a health care team member? I've never had one before. Thanks for your input!!

The nurse pulled out mine before I left the hospital. It didn't really hurt but it was just mildly uncomfortable coming out. I winced a little. I didn't watch her pull it out though. No thanks.

I'm sure you can pull your own. There was one stich that had to be cut and the the dr just pulled it straight out. Surprising that there was a foot or more tubing in there. Didn't hurt at all and I'm certain I could have pulled my own. No bleeding at the site, just have some gauze pads ready to tape onto it..

I had a drain. My drain actually was causing me pain. I didn't even realize it until it was removed. Fluid did come out but I am sure I would have been fine without it. Surgeon said it speeds healing time. I felt The same way about staples. Kind of weird but I just went with it.

I didn't have a drain for my sleeve surgery but I just had my ventral hernia removed on June 5th, by my same bariatric surgeon, and I ended up with a drain. The hernia was larger than they thought and left a pretty good sized pi5cket he said. I had to stay overnight because of it and he finally took the drain out on the 16th. I was in no hurry to get it out, I wanted to make sure all that Fluid was out of me. I was still outputting on the 16th but he didn't want to leave it in any longer. It never hurt me, but was a nuisance I have to admit. When he took it out I didn't even feel a thing, it was so weird. So now I'm just hoping what little bit was still in there will be reabsorbed and I will continue to heal.

I had a drain for my 6/15 surgery. They removed the morning of discharge 6/17. I had read it could hurt, but I agreed to let a Med student do it ( my niece is in PA school, so I want to provide great opportunities for these kids). Plus, I wasn't his first ( 2nd I think). Didn't feel a thing! Just have to keep a band-aid over the incision. All good! They explained the drain gave them good info on what was going on inside-they checked the color of Fluid daily.

I didn't have a drain and I was discharged same day, minimal scarring and small incisions. I think it's surgeon preference.

My surgeons puts drains on everyone, and I appreciate his willingness to go the extra mile and avoid complications, even if it does take a few extra minutes of his time. Even though leaks are only a 1% risk, I'd rather be safe than sorry. As a nurse, I've gotten to pull out these suckers before, so I really hope they'll let me snip the stitches and pop it out myself for old times sake!