Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yikes...did something unthinking

I don't feel so well today and it is unrelated to my sleeve...I got a bit of an appetite and made grits- which I'm allowed- but I made the whole packet and wasn't being mindful when I ate and caught myself trying to finish the container..I have to say...aside from being overly full I am surprised at how I pushed myself to finish and I never even thought this was a behavior for me. I am going to learn from it and move on...but I just wanted to share. As much as I would like to have removed that part of me along with the majority of my stomach it is still there and I must be mindful.

I know how you feel...I am not cheating of course on my post-op 3 shakes a day, I am lucky to get one in at 2 days post-op but I find myself going too fast. It's a lifetime of habit to break and not an easy one to do. Good luck!!

Well, what happened was.......you did not measure out your portion before you started to eat it. I have found that even at 15 1/2 months out, if I do not weigh and measure I can lose my perspective of volume and quantity very quickly.

I have to keep repeating to myself a scientific principle I learned from my father, who was a science and biology teacher. He said that in the lab, you cannot control that which you do not measure. I miss him, but his guidance did not fall on deaf ears. I have had a couple of mishaps like yours and agree. It's over and done before you know what hit you.

Giving up my membership in the "Clean plate club" was one of the hardest things for me. But I only had to overeat and feel miserable once before I didn't make that mistake again. My dogs helped retrain me, too. I formed a new "leave 4 bites on the plate, one for each dog" club and they were big fans. I also used the "eat slow" app on my phone to help slow down my spoonfuls. Now eating slowly and just until satisfied, not full, is second nature. You'll get there.

Yes, pre measuring... head smack!

I like the idea of leaving some for the dog...My dog eats more than I do these days!

Well, what happened was.......you did not measure out your portion before you started to eat it. I have found that even at 15 1/2 months out, if I do not weigh and measure I can lose my perspective of volume and quantity very quickly.

I have to keep repeating to myself a scientific principle I learned from my father, who was a science and biology teacher. He said that in the lab, you cannot control that which you do not measure. I miss him, but his guidance did not fall on deaf ears. I have had a couple of mishaps like yours and agree. It's over and done before you know what hit you.

And this is exactly why I measure and log every damn thing that goes into my mouth.

I would eyeball myself back up to 268 in no time if I didn't.

I made the same mistake today with Water. I was on the phone with my grandmother and had just finished a walk to the park when I opened my water and took 3 HUGE gulps of it.

I didn't feel sick or anything but it's just amazing how mindless eating and drinking ACTUALLY are.

Old habits die hard, but now your body says STOP THAT :)

-RC-