Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why the Band and not sleeve?

Hi! Just wondering why anyone has chosen the band over the sleeve? I originally was going to do the sleeve but ended up changing it to the band because I am too afraid of it being permanent of a situation, scared to take out half my stomach, and not know 20 years from now the side effects. I'd love to hear your stories! Please share! ☺️

Hi

I chose the band against the sleeve because to me I didn't want to lose it overnight but over a period of time. Also I know many sleepers who stretched their sleeve over the years and put the weight back on. With the band you have that adjustable fill that can put you back on track. But most of all I didn't want anything cut out of me.

I chose the band because there's less of a chance of me having an allergic reaction. I'm allergic to the staples they use for the sleeve. Otherwise, I'd have asked for the sleeve.

Hi! Just wondering why anyone has chosen the band over the sleeve? I originally was going to do the sleeve but ended up changing it to the band because I am too afraid of it being permanent of a situation, scared to take out half my stomach, and not know 20 years from now the side effects. I'd love to hear your stories! Please share! ☺️

What you said...except I never considered any other type of WLS. I wanted nothing permanent done to my insides. This is typically the reason given for choosing the band over another type of procedure.

I have copied this from a post I made elsewhere.

Please bear in mind that I am a very happy and very successful bandit now 9 years post-op. I do not regret my band, would do it all over again and if I ever have to have it removed, I would hope to have a replacement.

When I was banded in 2006, it was a miracle surgery. And for some people, who accept that they will still have to work hard, it is just that. It was and still is for me. But over the years it has become clear that serious complications necessitating further surgery are much more common than originally thought, some of these are avoidable by careful eating and by not keeping the band tight; unfortunately others are beyond our control.

We used to be warned about band slips, leaks and about ( very rare) erosion into the stomach tissue but it turns out that a build up of scar tissue round the band (causing it to tighten) is quite common. It can be very difficult to get the right level of restriction and some people are tempted to keep it tight enough to physically limit food, in fact it was once thought this was how it should be. But this causes food to back up into the oesophagus and that risks problems such as oesophageal dysmotility which may be irreversible. It can also damage the vagus nerve.

Quite a number of doctors have stopped implanting bands as they found the removal rate was unacceptably high and it was too easy not to lose enough weight. Revision from band to sleeve is not uncommon!

We still need lots of will power. The band makes it easier by dimming hunger, but it does nothing for heard hunger and, contrary to popular opinion, it does not and should not physically stop us eating. If it does it is too tight!

Having said all that, I love my band, I know many successful long term bandits in real life. My own experience has been good and so has that of almost all those I actually know and have met.

I never considered another form of WLS either -- I think I'm lucky that way, no struggling with a decision. I am kind of a health food girl, never had been an overnight patient in a hospital before, not the type to ever consider plastic surgery or anything like that -- so for me the band just made perfect sense. Reversible if ever needed, nothing removed from my body. I like it that there was good follow-up in that first year, that I was not off on my own without input, and I like the way the weight came off steadily but not too dramatically as I have been quite private about my surgery. Just know that whatever you choose you are choosing yourself and your healthy future -- that's the important thing! Good luck with all.

PS I don't have will power, really, just a dimmed appetite and now the ability to make good decisions, to eat slowly and to stop. I used to just keep going -- always looking for more. That's not possible now and no longer a desire. Hallelujah.

Wow! Thanks so much for the feedback! Some of the meetings I go to are done in a group setting, and all of them are getting the sleeve. I feel that I haven't found anyone to "connect" with yet. Glad to hear about all your great personal success stories! ????

Even the doctors are so pushy with the sleeve?! I don't get it! No thanks, I'm okay with the gradual weight loss ! ????

The doctors push the sleeve because there's alot less follow up. Easier money for them. Never forget that medicine is also a business.

The doctors push the sleeve because there's alot less follow up. Easier money for them. Never forget that medicine is also a business.

In fairness- not all. We have a national health service and my doctor is salaried, so it makes no difference to him financially which surgeries he offers. He no longer offers the band because he sats he has to remove too many. I personally love my band and have never regretted it for one minute but I would be dishonest if I said that the chances of further surgery were not high.

Hi, I’m brand new to this site and have been following this thread – which has been VERY useful – I wanted to say thanks to all for the info and helpful advice within.

I am at the start of this journey –made the decision to have bariatric surgery about a month ago and since then have been speaking to a UK Obesity Surgery Centre – they have been very helpful and I had more-or-less settled on a gastric band. I’m fit and healthy – just very over weight – about 20 stone and BMI of 41.

Yesterday I have my first consultation with a surgeon and sadly it was very disappointing. His first question was ‘why a band and not a sleeve’. Then followed a power point presentation about why obesity is a worldwide problem (errr – thanks I kinda know all that already!!) and a helpful run through the band surgery and the sleeve surgery – with some rather gory – but interesting videos of his work.

The surgeon is a sleeve evangelist and was very negative about the band. He explained that it is has a 40% success rate compared to 89% with the sleeve (this doesn’t really feel correct) and that there are lifelong complications with the band. He also said the NHS do not offer the band due to the low success rate.

At the end of one hour – he quickly ended the meeting – saying he was needed in surgery – leaving me no time to ask questions. I am left in a total state of confusion.

Is the sleeve a better option for me? I had discounted the sleeve previously because I feel it is so much more extreme and invasive. I have a little girl, so risk is a very big factor for me (as I’m sure it is for many on here). Will I fail with the band and/or have lots of complications – or have I just had a rather one-sided, biased consultation for a surgeon who has made up his mind that bands are not a good option?

I haven’t spoken to the Obseity Centre councillor yet, but though I would ask a few questions on here first.

I'm particulary interested in hearing from members who faced or face a similar dilemma – Band or Sleeve? Has anyone had a band, but wishes they had a sleeve? Also- how did my first consultation compare to your meetings with doctors – I thought I would be coming out of that better informed and with the next stage of my plan – instead I am more confused than ever and somewhat disheartened.

Thnaks again for all the useful info people have shared so far. I'm so pleased I found this site! Jx

@ AnotherBrit!! Two (apart from me) in two days! Unheard of on here!

Although NICE has listed banding as one of the wls surgeons an offer, some NHS clinics are no longer doing so. I currently am looked after by the All-Wales Bariatric Unit in Swansea. Mr Barry, the consultant and surgeon, no longer does bands as he says he was removing more bands than he was doing all new bypass and vsg operations together.

The 40% band success rate is unfortunately the one found by most recent studies. Success is measured by loss of 80% excess weight, keeping that off and not requiring further operations. It is very easy not to lose enough weight once the initial motivation wears off. Over 30% of people according to some studies require a second operation ( personally I had a leak repair at for years out) and the removal rate after the first three or four years is very high.

BUT I love my band. I have had it for nine years. I,lost all my excess weigh quickly and maintained with ease fir around six years. It s much harder nowM but I am still winning the battle so far. I hope my band is for life as we were once told it was! But Zinhave seen too many removals to be over-confident.

Edited by KateP

I did the band for two reasons.....

1. I was 488lbs when I started the process and thought the was band safer choice with less chance of complications and reversible. I was pretty concerned about being able to survive the procedure.

2. My only options were band or bypass because the Sleeve was not yet offered at my Center and quite honest I never heard of it before.

I have had tremendous success with my band and I have been pretty fortunate to have such a smooth journey but if I am being totally honest I don't know if I would make the same choice if I had to do over with today's available Sleeve option. Decision would definitely require more pondering.

I went to my Surgeon because he had thousands of lapband surgeries performed successfully. He also does sleeve and by pass. I did not want my intestines re-routed and a large portion of my stomach removed or stapled. the sleeve seems to be the flavor of the week, everyone is rushing to get it. I think over time there will be as many issues with the sleeve as people claim there are with the band. no surgery is 100% guaranteed. I chose the band because I wanted an option of removal or revision if needed. the follow up care has been good for me. I haven't had a fill in 6 months or more, haven't had any issues with my band. I have lost what I wanted and slowly , never lost my hair, never had dumping syndrome or malnutrition. I only take 3 Vitamins a day, B12, D3 and a Multivitamin. I am no longer on diabetic meds, high cholesterol or high blood pressure.

I pray that I never have to have my band removed but I will most likely have it replaced if needed. All in all we all have to make the best decision we can for our own health.

Hi Everyone, A big thanks for all your posts and for some very constructive feed back. It means the world to me to be able to speak to people who have been through bariatric surgery and through similar issues with obesity - it can feel like a lonely old road sometimes! So really - thanks a million xxxx

I will keep an open mind on which direction (band or sleeve) I take - but right now I am definitely in favour of the band. It's great to be going into this with my eyes open and to understand the pitfalls through other people's experiences, rather than just the statistics.

Today I had a chat with a lady from the centre I have been speaking to, she had a band fitted 6 years ago - she has had a very positive experience with her band and it was great to be able to ask her some very direct questions.

Thanks again all - I'll keep you updated on my progress - so that hopefully I can pass on some of the generosity that you lovely people have shown me, to other people who might come looking for answers and advice.

Balfin xx