Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reflux, lapband, and Sertraline (zoloft) issues

Ah, the joys (NOT) of big pills. I'll never forget the last Mucinex DM I took and it stuck. I didn't get it loose until it had burned through the mucus layer into the stoma lining. It was a good week or two later that I could eat normally.

Check out the ulcer diet here. Of course, it is the same old same old -- reduce sodium intake, stay away from spicy foods, stop smoking, don't drink alcohol, don't take Nsaid pain killers (i.e., most everything but Tylenol or Advil), and the gastric doctors now say that diet won't heal it.

Are you taking Prilosec or another of the acid reducers? If you had a hiatal hernia before surgery, and the doctor didn't fix it, then you could still be having acid reflux, it's just not splashing up to your esophagus anymore.

Personally, I found going on the BRATTY BRAT diet for at least a week helped my stomach to heal (i.e., see Mucinex D above). I discovered this during one of my many gastritis flares in 2001-2004. Abnormal stress (even if you "thrive" on stress) can cause peptic sores ==> ulcer.

Watch the inside of your mouth. If you are getting "canker" sores in your mouth, most likely your stomach, stoma, and/or esophagus is in an uproar. I've had the hiatal hernia surgery (was fixed when they removed the old 4cc band and replaced with the new "low pressure" 10cc band.

By the way, for all you curious folks out there, "low pressure" = no more stuck food BUT if you over eat, it will let it down into the stomach. Sounds great, no? NO. It is much harder to feel a "soft stop" that we are supposed to know that's it for food. You really have to do Portion Control and eat with a baby spoon. I'm trying the portion control, but the baby spoon just pi$$es me off! :o

ME TOO! I thought it was just me, but I never take Sertaline on an empty stomach now. Even unfilled (band emptied in January due to vomiting during sleep and coughing), it still hurts if I don't take it with food. I'm actually going to switch to Cymbalta to see if it helps. I take the Sertaline for pain control (I have Fibromyalgia), but they are saying Cymbalta is better. Let's hope it's not like swallowing barb wire!

Hey -- I'm on Cymbalta, 90 mg, too. Love it for the Fibromyalgia, but I still take 2 8-hour Tylenol Arthritis AND Lyrica to hold off the muscle and joint pain. I think the Cymbalta also helps with the underlying depression (as if who wouldn't be when you have a disease that some doctors call the garbage diagnosis?:o). I don't have any issues with capsules, but major issues with larger, solid pills (such as Mucinex). I also take Flexeril, mostly at night.

Edited by Sherrirbgr

This is so bizarre. I also take Zoloft and would have a burning in my throat. I also never put two and two together I have to break my in two pieces to get down. I also found it works better if I take it at separate time through out the day.

hi everyone.. i dont post very often.. but ive been having major pain lately due to taking my meds at nite.. at 1st i thought it was because i was eating 1st and was full when i tried to take my pills... but im glad i found this thread.. i take 1 and 1/2 of zoloft and 2 depekote at nite and more and more often now im getting the burning pain like somethings stuck in my chest... it gets so bad that i start heaving.. oh it hurts so bad.. i even ended up in the er one night...

and i get the burps.. trying to get the pain to go away... :) i think i'll try the yogart.. maybe i'll be able to sleep..

Well it is nearly midnight and I am in agony due to taking my Zoloft before bed without thinking! I had forgotten all about this thread and now after re-reading it I know exactly why I feel so shocking right now.

I frequently have the stuck zoloft problem too but usually if I eat something right after taking it I'm fine. I also skip doses A LOT to avoid the stuck possiblity. Tonight I made the mistake of chancing it and not eating anything afterward which I KNOW will end badly and here I sit in AGONY. The pain is MISERABLE. It's like a fiery hell in your throat/chest and CONSTANT sliming. I've tried throwing it up before, nope doesn't work. Tried drinking something hot, that's a no-go too. So there you sit for what can be hours in horrible pain. I almost would rather go through the whole surgery process again rather than suffer from the zoloft pain for a few hours. Yep, its that bad. I think I'll be calling my doc tomorrow and ask about switching to lexapro or something. The pain is not worth it!

I'm having the exact problem with all the meds I take in the morning and at night. I take zantac 150 30 mins before sometimes two and it does nothing. I tried prilosec and that's not working either. So I cant take my meds anymore because the pain is to excruciating to take. It seriously hurts to bad I cant take it anymore. Its ridiculous. This shit sucks.:eek:

I am so glad to see all of these posts. I thought I was going crazy. I have been taking Zoloft for years before banding and after. All of the sudden I couldn't take the pills without pain. I broke the pills in 1/2 thinking that would help. It didn't even enter my mind that it would make it worse. It seems to help if I take it with apple sauce, but I have still sometimes experienced pain even with the applesauce. The first time I had the pain I almost had my husband take me to the ER. I thought I had internal bleeding or something. It was horrible!

Glad to find this forum. I have been banded for two years and only lost 60 pounds. I have been at the same weight for almost a year. :angry:

I am 6 months post op with my Lap Band and have just figured out it is my Zoloft causing horrible burning pain in my pouch. I tried a liquid form of the Zoloft but still had the burning. I appreciate these posts. I thought it was just me. If anyone has any other suggestions, I am open to them. Zoloft is definitely one acidic pill. :(

I am 6 months post op with my Lap Band and have just figured out it is my Zoloft causing horrible burning pain in my pouch. I tried a liquid form of the Zoloft but still had the burning. I appreciate these posts. I thought it was just me. If anyone has any other suggestions, I am open to them. Zoloft is definitely one acidic pill. :(

Dentrick, I now take my Zoloft with a smoothie every morning. I use 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1 Tbs of rice Protein powder, 1/2 a banana, and a little sweetener. It all goes into my Magic Bullet blender. I take my Zoloft in the little blue 50 mg form (since I'm on the highest dose possible at 200 mg per day, I end up taking 8 pills total). The little size gets the pills passed my stoma, and the creaminess and coldness of the smoothly seem to buffer the burning of the pills once they get in my real stomach. I tried the liquid Zoloft--only ONCE--NEVER again! OMG! I would rather be fat and depressed than ever take the liquid! It was unbelievably awful! This June will be my fourth year having the band. I've been taking my Zoloft in 50 mg sized pills with the smoothie I described for about a year now--finally feel like I've solved my Zoloft problem. Best of luck to you!

I know this old - but it showed up when I was searching tonight. I really thought I was insane or doing something wrong. I always take mine in a spoonful of Peanut Butter and some nights it's just not enough pub or I am in a hurry and then a volcano simmers. And HURTS. But mainly thx for this thread - I will go find something more current for tips and whatnot!