Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your post-op diet like?

I know everybody has a surgeon who likes different post-op diets but I'm just curious how everybody was instructed to eat after surgery!

My surgery was Monday and I am on full liquids for two weeks. At my two week appointment I should be cleared for stage III which is mushy foods and then two months of that before stage IV which is solid foods.

What about you?

By week seven I am on full regular foods. I started with to weeks full liquids, then two weeks of very soft foods like cottage cheese, egg whites, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes. Next I get to have soft meats, fruits, soft cheese, and cooked veggies.

Full liquids for 2 weeks, purees for 1, soft foods for 2, then slowly work up to regular foods. Best of luck!

Edited by brittanyp_vsg

I have not had my surgery yet but the plan my doctor sent home for me to look at called for 1 week Clear Liquids only. Followed by 2 weeks of smooth liquids. Then 3 weeks of soft foods and starting on week 7 until the 3 month mark is regular diet choices. After is all items in the previous week with Protein and veggies for each meal

One week clear liquids, 1 week full liquids, one week purée, one week soft back to regular foods as tolerated in week 5.

One to two weeks liquids, one to two weeks puréed foods, one to two weeks soft foods and then regular foods after that.

sent home from hospital on pureed foods for 8 weeks

What are considered full liquids?

I got it described to me as anything without chunks that can slide off the end of a spoon. I've been doing cream Soups and Jello and cream of wheat and yogurt mostly!

Week 1- clear liquids including Protein shakes made with Water (2 a day) taking in 80 oz. of liquids a day by the end of the week.

Week 2-Soft Protein Foods, eggs(soft scrambled, soft boiled or poached)low fat cottage cheese, low fat shredded cheese or string cheese, Dannon light and fit greek vanilla yogurt, mashed or pureed pinto or black Beans and 4 oz. Protein shake made with milk 3 times a day

Week 3- one Protein Shake made with milk 4 oz at a time, add chicken, turkey, fish and soy products

Week 6 -add non starchy vegetables

Three Months- add unsweetened soft and/or peeled fruit up to one time per day

Six to Twelve Months- Add (if I want) beef, pork and other red meats, starchy veggies,Pasta and rice and any other foods I want as long as they are low fat

I don't reach the final stage until June 15th. As of now, while I'm sure I'll occasionally have the starchy carbs, I'm not planning on them being a regular part of my food plan. I'll have to see how beef and pork work out.

Week 1 Clear liquids, week 2 full liquids, week 3 puree, wk 4 soft food and so on

My surgery center had me on clear liquids for day 1-3 after surgery. Then I went to pureed foods for day 3-7. Then when I saw the physician's assistant for my one week post-op he told me I could go onto soft foods day 9 if I felt I was ready. I didn't I waited until day 11 to try some soft foods. So I'm suppose to be on soft foods Week 3 to Week 7 and then Week 8 and Beyond regular food adding in slowly. I haven't had any problem with any of the soft foods I've had. Just chew chew chew chew as much as possible! I also did a two week liquid only diet.