Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression and anxiety

Hi

I am new to this forum, I come from South Africa, and we unfortunately don't have wonderful sites like these! I am pre-op, and having my surgery on 25 May.

For the first 4 weeks, it was great. Gave up smoking, red wine, eating habits etc etc. Last week, I started dipping into a low that I cannot seem to pick myself out of. 12 days to surgery, and I need to be okay. Did anyone else go through a dip pre-op? I am on anti-depressants and stress related meds, but still feel down.

Hi Dee1402,

I am also from South Africa. I really wish we had support like this closer to home.

I had the BPD-DS procedure on the 23rd February at the Waterfall City Hospital under the supervision of Prof Tess Van der Merwe. I am not sure where you are having your op bumpiness was very successful and I have not looked back.

I understand how you are feeling right now. It is a major operation and unfortunately it carries some risks, but follow all your doctor's instructions and everything will go well.

I had some bad days leading up to the surgery. I was scared of being under for so long and more than that, that I would not come out of the surgery. it was a silly thought because I have had many procedures and never experienced any complications. I am 53 and I had convinced myself at a point that I was to old for this.

My advise is that you should rather be over prepared so that when everything goes according to plan you can relax with the knowledge that you "did it" !

The night before you might feel like backing out, I did feel that way but with the support of my family I persevered and I am so glad and so proud of myself. Just short of 3 months post op and I am down 20kgs, and no longer need any chronic meds for diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure. I have not felt this well in years,

You hang in there and do this one for you, you will not be sorry. I am here if you have any questions.

Rose (live in Joburg)

Hi Rose :)

Thank you for your response. I am 48 years old, diabetic, on cholestrol tabs, have bad knees - all the usual stuff that goes with carrying excess weight. I am also under Prof Tess and her team......

I was loving being surrounded by doctors that understood us, and took care, but I missed an app with the Psych (Just completely forgot) and saw the wrath of "our" doc. Anyway, putting that aside, I had my family visit last night, and my family seem more Enlightened....but my partner who is long distance, is still trying to convince me to not do it.

I am certainly feeling better physically....but mentally, I am unsure of how my life will carry on as it will change drastically. My social life is around eating, drinking and enjoying a night out, but I am battling to go out and drink Water....Oy!! I understand that I have to stop was wasn't working previously, and have researched this op for the past 5 years. Possibly just realisation that the op is 12 days away??

I am so happy that you are over the op and have been successful! Well done!

Lots of love

Dee - also Jo'burg

Hi Dee,

Your partner is obviously scared for your safety and sometimes there is a fear that you may find that your renewed enthusiasm (as you begin to drop the weight) may affect your relationship. David probably told you that you might even lose friends as you are no longer the "safe fat friend" .

I will be quite honest eating out does become a challenge BUT you will overcome it. I am lucky that alcohol did not play such an important role in my life, I always seemed to be the designated driver so I am used to not drinking. To date since my op I have had the odd sip of my husbands wine.

What really helped me is that I met with someone who had the op about 2 months beforehand. prof Van der Merwe's team are great but quite honestly they have not been down our road. Whereabout do you live? I would be happy to meet with you over coffee/tea (just started coffee again recently). I leave for Spain on Wed 20th May and will be away when you go in.

You will get thru this, don't fear and your partner will come around in time.

My email address is: rosemary@mweb.co.za

Yes, it was quitting smoking.. That tore me up, and not having sweets on top of it made it worse. Take it one day at a time. It will bbe so good for you. Smoking is horrible on the stomach, and increases chances of complications in before/after surgery, keep up the good work and look towards the future.

I'm still pre-op. When I first started my pre-op diet I felt really bad until my body became adjusted to running on ketones instead of glucose. Now I'm feeling good and exercising every day.

Quitting smoking will take your body some time to adjust to.

I stay away from my favorite watering holes so I won't be tempted to join in.

This will take a lot of commitment on my part to be successful. Some day I'll be a lot lighter and healthier for the effort.

Hang in there!

I was also worried about how the surgery would affect my social life which was also all about food and drink. Guess what...I am still a social person...still go out to eat and drink. I just no longer do it to excess. In fact, last week I went out to dinner six nights in a row due to family in from out of town and other committments. Even with a glass or two of wine, I still dropped a little bit of weight. I ate band sized portions and made healthy choices...fish, veggies mostly but small amounts of carbs as well. Stuck to broiled or baked..nothing fried. Wasn't hard to do and had a great time enjoying the food and company.

I know you are scared of the unknown but try not to be. You may find like me, that things will be much much better than you can imagine.

Good luck!

I'm in the same boat Dee1402. My SIPS surgery is May 26th. I blew it on the liquid diet for lunch. I'm on the 2 week pre-op liquid diet only. It's horrible. I was feeling very light headed so I ate a small green bean burrito from Del Taco. I'm also trying to quit smoking on top of it all. It's very challenging. I've just got to get back on the bandwagon and start anew at dinnertime.

I'm in the same boat Dee1402. My SIPS surgery is May 26th. I blew it on the liquid diet for lunch. I'm on the 2 week pre-op liquid diet only. It's horrible. I was feeling very light headed so I ate a small green bean burrito from Del Taco. I'm also trying to quit smoking on top of it all. It's very challenging. I've just got to get back on the bandwagon and start anew at dinnertime.

try purée diet first then ease into only liquid diet at least three days strong before surgery. Light yogurt, cottage cheese, apple sauce, I even have Protein coffee.. Il post the recipe on my thread along with a hot chocolate protein that is like being on liquid diet. Don't give up.. It gets a little easier after surgery to stay on the liquid diet and ease into purée stage.

I think depression is a natural and adaptive reaction to surgery as major as WLS. Unlike other surgery, this one brings up from the depths all of our "stuff" about being obese. In my case, I knew I needed this surgery, having been fat since age 3 (64 now), and that all the hundreds of attempts to do this on my own were going to be over. Honestly, I got depressed just contemplating my journey in this area, and was reacting to the huge changes coming. I am now 3 weeks post surgery, no depression, and am looking forward. Good luck!

Meems I feel your pain -_-

I am on day two of pureed diet, and so far ok. Fat free doesn't taste very nice, but I have to pull myself together and do this! My surgeon threatened to not do the op if I was still smoking, but have been on e-cigarettes for 2 months, had a nicotine puff here and there, but no more now! We can do this!! We have to do this!! And WE WILL DO THIS!!!! ;-) :blink: :P

I cannot thank you all enough for your insightful replies. I feel so much better today and have started my soft foods diet with gusto. At my sister fo dinner tonight and she has boiled chicken for me, made Soup etc. so all good! Ty again xxx