Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone suffer with kidney stones after the sleeve? I'm 7 months out and I'm having my second bout with kidney stones in 2 weeks. Have never had them before. The pain is horrible. I'm seeing a urologist tomorrow. My fellow nurse co workers think it's all the Protein I consume.

Ursodial is for gallstones, not kidney stones.

@@AlanaRN what are you consuming differently the preop? I guess the urologist would know if there is a correlation of Protein and kidney stones, but I'd think if it were common, a lot more WLS patients would be getting them. I do know certain sports and diet drinks can lend themselves to the development of kidney stones. I had a friend who had to pass 3 of them before they figured out it was all the Gatorade he was drinking at work. Now he drinks Water

I don't drink any Gatorade or soda. Only Water and crystal light. Maybe it is just the rapid weight loss. I read that a high Protein can cause kidney stones.

It probably is the extra Protein. I have had one already too, they suck bad.

I work for a urologist and test high Protein can contribute to having kidney stones. One of my biggest fears is to get a stone. I really don't want my doctors up in my business. Ugh!

Edited by miller1109

I'm at the urologist right now. We will see what they say. I'm ready to be done with this!

Dr said she has seen this happen to pt that have had WLS. I have to have another CT scan done to see how many stones are left. She may have to go in and get them. She advised me to drink more Water. She said it could be the extra Protein in my diet causing them. I just want this to be over!!

Thanks for the update. I guess one more reason for all of us to make sure we are getting plenty of Water. Hopefully the CT brings good news. Best wishes!

I had surgery two weeks ago to remove multiple kidney stones. My Calcium levels have been high since before surgery. My urologist told me that kidney stones are a side effect of gastric bypass surgery. From what I read, pre-op, we have more of the chemical that prevents the stones and less of the chemical that causes them. Studies have shown that post-op that switches to having more of the one that causes the stones. The urologist recommend drinking Crystal Light. It apparently contains the chemical that prevents kidney stones!

I had surgery two weeks ago to remove multiple kidney stones. My Calcium levels have been high since before surgery. My urologist told me that kidney stones are a side effect of gastric bypass surgery. From what I read, pre-op, we have more of the chemical that prevents the stones and less of the chemical that causes them. Studies have shown that post-op that switches to having more of the one that causes the stones. The urologist recommend drinking Crystal Light. It apparently contains the chemical that prevents kidney stones!

Do you know what the chemicals are? I don't drink Crystal Light because I can't tolerate the artificial sweetener and I do have high calcium, so would love to know another way to get in the "good stuff" to help avoid kidney stones. (I'm already battling gallstones and would prefer not to add kidney stones to the list.)

I have been fortunate not to have any kidney stones post op. However, I had a spell about ten years ago where I kept getting kidney stones one after the other. It is so painful, so my heart goes out to you. One of the things that helped me is I began to squeeze a fresh lemon and add it to a bottle of Water and I drank it first thing in the morning. Occasionally I would drink another lemon in my water in the afternoon. I still drink a lemon in my water almost everyday and since I started that I have never had another kidney stone. It could be a coincidence, but lemons are natural cleansers and I think they helped me.

Good luck to you!!

I believe that the ingredient in the Crystal Light is sodium citrate. The Dr said that it's the citrate that's important.

I have had the suckers on and off for years before and after Wls. Sometimes you're just genetically prone to them according to my urologist (my dad and sister get them too). Ugh! Worst thing ever!

I second the drink lots of Water and lemon juice suggestions. My urologist recommends lemonade.

I drink crystal light daily and am still getting them! I still haven't passed them and I'm miserable. It's my weekend to work and I'm barely making it through. 12 hours on your feet with kidney stone pain is the worst! Thanks all!

I have had two bouts with kidney stones over the years (way before VSG). It was worst pain I have ever experienced.

You ladies may chuckle at something my sister told me: "Kidney stones are nature's way of showing men what it feels like to have a baby". LOL!

-RC-