Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since your surgery, what are some of the things you struggle with? How do you cope?

I guess I'll start.

Hydrating is tough for me. I've never done well with hydrating, even before the surgery. It always seems like such a chore. I push myself daily to at least meet the minimum, but I know I need to do better.

I've always been one of those people who doesn't eat until she absolutely has too (and by then I am starving). I do my best to remember to bring small, light, healthy Snacks, but in the hustle and bustle I often forget...

Since my surgery, all things Protein seem to turn me off. I'm finding ways (I am only 7.5 weeks out) to trick my mind and tastebuds, but it is definitely a challenge. I'm sure as time goes on I'll get the hang of it.

I feel like I am overly critical of my every move when it comes to food. I feel guilty I had to get the surgery to help me weight loss and other medical issues...but I know I ultimately saved my own life.

Anyway, just wanted to hear the experiences of others. My SO and kids have been so incredibly supportive, but I feel very lonely in this journey sometimes.

Thanks!

Monique

I'm over 4 weeks post op and I'm struggling with Protein. I'm unable to drink the shakes because they make me nauseous so I try to get my protein in with the food I eat. I really miss hamburgers, french fries, pizza and sweets. But I have learned that the only good thing about that food was the taste because it was far from healthy for me. I also struggle with exercising, because I'm lazy. Trying my best to get better.

I struggle with eating too fast. Sometimes I have to actually put my plate on the kitchen counter so that I have to get up from the table and walk into the kitchen to take a bite and then go sit back down. When I eat too fast, food gets stuck and I throw up. I am good with portion size, drinking enough Water, and I still drink two shakes each day so I get enough Protein.

It is definitely getting easier now that I am 15 weeks out, but just making myself slow down is hard when everyone else at the table is done eating when I have only taken two bites.

I'm 19 days out and I'm struggling with everything !! Hydration is the biggest problem right now because I can feel what it's doing to my body. The only thing I'm good at is taking my Vitamins. I had a pretty major setback developing pneumonia in both lungs a week and a half post op so it's made everything harder than it had to be.

I struggle with not drinking with my meals. I barely get my Water in and I want to drink when I eat. It's so hard.

I am 6 days out. I am struggling with getting moving, I feel couch bound. And definitely having trouble with getting all my fluids in. Tomorrow is my one week check in with the Nurse Practitioner, I am hoping that I'll be cleared to return to light duty work.

Hello friends, where do i start...i am in my 5 th week. I eat too fast which makes me throw up; i wake up nauseous every morning due to being dehydrated. I hate throwing up because it takes me the entire day to recoup. ok what is with throwing up foam!!

I can tolerate cheese, very limited quantity of eggs, it is hit or miss with meat. Chili works for me, sweet potato and potato dumplings but only a few. Soft meatballs, Peanut Butter on 1/4 english muffin.

It is trial and error at this point i think. Just when you think you have it figured out you throw up lol.

Good luck everyone

I can't stand watching everyone else eat. I'm not even that hungry, but I just want to eat real food. Sometimes I regret the surgery, but I know it's for the best.

I'm in my 5th week. I'd love to sit here, and say I've got it all under control, but in reality I don't know what to eat. I forget my Vitamins. Then I feel guilty. Water. Ughhh....I'm drinking about 75% of my daily goal. The only thing I can say for sure is that I feel good. My already busy life has been complicated by chasing children and now trying to deal with my changes. I don't eat slow enough and boy do I pay for it. My family is so supportive including my 9 year old who ask every time I stick something in my mouth, can you eat that? Lol!! I know it's going to get easier, but still figuring it all out!

Well I am rooting for you ladies and at least you know you're not alone. Everything I cook (with the exception of a turkey and beef meatloaf I made), turns me off. I generally love turkey and chicken and if I make it, I despise it.

I've only thrown up once (thank goodness because I hate throwing up). Dealt with dumping a few times (only once from food though, the rest of the times it was because of sugar alcohols in my Glucerna shakes which I no longer drink).

Hydration...loathe it.

Eating to fast, I'm trying.

Good news is I've lost 30 pounds and my A1C is finally under 10 (8.9 to be exact).

Sometimes I regret my decision and then other times I think I can't believe I waited so long (well actually insurance only approved my lap band, otherwise I would have done this 3 years ago).

In any case, no matter our obstacles, we did something to improve our health. I appreciate you all sharing your struggles. Not because I want you all to struggle, but at least I know I am not alone in my thoughts, feelings and experiences.

Keep going!

Monique

I find the sugar free freezies are an awesome way to help with getting in more liquid. Specially now that it's getting warmer outside.

I personally am struggling with my Protein and Vitamins. I feel like everything I eat makes me sick so I just don't want to eat anymore.

4 weeks post op and I'm still struggling bad with protein- I maybe get 15-20g a day. I've developed lactose intolerance making many phase 2&3 foods off limits, as well as milk based Protein shakes.

I was re admitted 1 week post op for dehydration, and I feel like I'm heading down that road again :/

I am 8wks out, and also have trouble with Protein tasting funny, I have found the best thing its from Starbucks!! SKINNY GREENTEA FRAP, PLUS PROTIEN,-CLASSIC, +SF vanilla, NO WHIP, ITS SO GOOD. Especially on warm days, I drink two a day. I am feeling great down 60lbs. Yeahhh, there is a few things that bother my tummy that's eggs, lettuce, and I've tried chicken and that's ehhh iffy sometimes. But I found cottage cheese, lots of yogurt, I just change up the flavors. Just some ideas.