Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BigDaddy look to be NotSoBigDaddy

I'm a bit of a troller on this site. I don't feel like I relate to all the woman on here. I search for dudes that are similar to me but then I finally found "The Guy's Room". I'm choosing this room to post my first post because... just because.

My name is James and I'm 42. I was introduced to the sleeve by a friend who had it done with great success. I've been at my heaviest, 372lbs, and I'm over it. I'm ready to be done with the high blood pressure pills and I'm tired on getting winded when I walk up the stairs or tie my shoes. I want to live a long life for my family. My knees have been hurting and I'm just done.

I started my research and found out that my insurance covers the sleeve. My out of pocket is almost covered due to a knee surgery earlier in the year. I found a doctor, did all my tests and finished my 3 month diet documentation. I'm down 22lbs.

I got the call today, that only after 6 days, I was approved. I'll be going in for my sleeve in June. I'm excited and mournful all at the same time. You see I'm a big guy, not overly fat (obese for sure) but I carry it well. People could NEVER guess my weight. At 6'4" I was the chicken wing, beer drinking guy that lived to eat. Now I find myself saying good bye to some favorite foods.

I think my biggest issue will be having my identity NOT be based on food. So much of my life has revolved around food for so long. I'm really looking forward to not living to eat.

My wife is super supported and as is my work. I'm hoping to only be out 1 week (I sit down most of the day). (Fingers crossed)

I'm sure I'll have questions to post but as for now, I just wanted to say hi.

Thanks.... James (BigDaddyJG)

James... you will find something else to be identified as.... I love to cook/bake.. I the guy people make requests to bake a cheesecake or other dessert for get togethers. I have realized... I can still be that person, but in a different way. I am now just 10 weeks out and down 60 pounds.. I am feeling lighter, less winded, have more energy and feel more in control of my life, than have other things, like food, control me. I wish you all the best on your journey.

Wishing you well on your path to a new life, James. You sound like your head is in the exact right place it has to be, to have this surgery.

Imagine what your life could be centered around instead of food. It's limitless. Who knows, maybe you'll focus on fitness or travel or painting....the world is yours.

I'm a week away from surgery, and so excited for what lies ahead. :)

Welcome James!

Congratulations on making the decision to get healthy. It has been the best decision of my life. I am thankful every day for my new found health.

What's even more crazy is seven months ago I could barely get up a flight of stairs without feeling like I was going to Kiel over. Now I literally run up the stairs, jog, walk for miles and use my elliptical.

I would liken it to learning to walk all over again. It is very exciting to experience life in a whole new way.

I wish you all the best!

I glad you decided to choose a healthy path for yourself. The weight gaining thing is a slippery slope that we all seem to get on and it only gets worse as we age. This was the right decision for me. I am almost 7 months post opp and down 95#. I still have a ways to go but loving the trip! Don't be intimadated about posting it will make things easyer when you get closer to surgery to talk things through.

Don't kidd yourself......Being the "Big Guy" was just a slanted way of saying "fat"! Everyone knew it and you knew it too. You're certainly not going to be small at 6'4" but you will be fit and healthy and will live life in a whole different light. A much more positive one.

And as far as food goes. food will still play a very big role in your life. Maybe even more. You will develop a new knowledge base of eating healthy and while you probably won't believe me now, not only will you not miss eating junk and huge portions, you will crave your new food and healthy lifestyle. I'm not just spewing rhetoric.......it's true. ;)

You will develop a new knowledge base of eating healthy and while you probably won't believe me now, not only will you not miss eating junk and huge portions, you will crave your new food and healthy lifestyle. I'm not just spewing rhetoric.......it's true. ;)

I agree 100%, I'm eating a half chicken and quinoa salad at Panera right now while I'm replying, never would have even looked at the salads 6 months ago... lol

This is a true statement. It is just who I am/was. Looking forward to not being that guy.

"Being the "Big Guy" was just a slanted way of saying "fat"! Everyone knew it and you knew it too."

Hey good luck man. I am in the same boat but mine is a little bigger. I am 6'4" and will never be tiny but I can be healthy. Have you thought much about long term goal? I am thinking 205 to 215 would look good on a 6'4" frame. I am scheduled for an MGB on June 17th.

Hey good luck man. I am in the same boat but mine is a little bigger. I am 6'4" and will never be tiny but I can be healthy. Have you thought much about long term goal? I am thinking 205 to 215 would look good on a 6'4" frame. I am scheduled for an MGB on June 17th.

I'm not 100% sure of my goal weight but I'm hoping for under 250lbs but shooting for 220lbs.

All you 6'4" guys are going to make us 6'3" guys feel short. Jeeze!

BigDaddyJG - welcome! I had the RNY on 4/28. This site has been great. It is one heck of a journey.

This post is damn near a copy of a post I made last November before my sleeve on Dec 12. That "identity" issue is a bitch.

I own two restaurants, and food isn't only my life's love, it's my life's work.

But my knees and back and gut, and everything else were screaming to me at all times, and I had to get where I was before I decided to take the plunge.

Today (five month anniversary) I am down 96 pounds. I feel great. Smaller than I've been in 20 years (I'm 44). Jogging daily, and actually enjoying it.

I'm not going to say that the identity part isn't tough-it is-but so far, it's been DAMNED worth it.

I wish you a lot of luck.

I know exactly how you're feeling. I mourned the loss of my old self and all the comfort I had always taken in food. It's unsettling to think about what life is going to be like without that soothing outlet of the huge meal or being able to reward yourself with food. For me that's how I'd always lived and largely how I dealt with emotions.

I'm around 3.5 months post op (sleeve) and still adjusting. I'm getting used to: being interested in other things, my new relationship to food, my new body, my new relationship with other people, etc.

As of today I'm down 79 pounds and people are noticing what is happening big time. Everyone is commenting on my weight loss. I look totally different - at least 10 years younger. It has changed the dynamic with others and with myself - I feel a lot more confident.

I won't lie. I do miss eating big-guy style every now and then, but I think it's letting up some. If I really stop to notice when it's happening, it's usually emotion driven - I'm bored, stressed, depressed, or maybe I feel like I've earned something and want to treat myself. What it is NOT is that I'm hungry!

So, I'm really trying hard to find things I can DO (not eat) to replace the food part. I have a bunch of yard projects to keep me busy after work. I'm playing more with my kids (hiking, sports practice, walking/talking, etc.). I find that if I sit and watch tv or play video games, it triggers my eating for pleasure feeling because that's what I've always done and they're associated now... Hope that will break over time. I'm working out at a gym dedicated to circuit training. I'm training for a big hike to havasu falls this summer. It's amazing to me that I'm doing all of this!

Leaving the old me behind and committing to changing much of my behavior and approach to life hasn't been without its challenges. But the new life, the new me, I'm stepping into is looking pretty damn good. It's worth it. Yes, you will have to change, but it's worth it.

Smoothazz... That is amazing. I really appreciate your perspective. One of my goals to to go kayaking. I went last summer with my wife in a double kayak. I was so heavy that it took an unexpected amount of energy and time to make it down stream. The back of the kayak was so far down in the Water that I was basically drag the kayak through the water. Later I found out that the weight limit on the kayak was 250 lbs. Ugh!! I will get below the limit and have an amazing kayak ride with my wife someday soon.

I know the big guy thing. I was a head football coach that is 6'4" and weighed 330. Everyone thought I was crazy for having surgery. They were used to the Big Guy. Now I am 205 after 7 months and I am truly excited to leave the old Big Guy behind. I work out 6 days a week and watch what I eat. But being as tall as I am I do get to be the big guy still. It is different though. People don't clear out of your way when they see you coming anymore. You do miss the social aspect of food when with the other big guys, but if they are friends they actually help you out. It has been a great decision on my part and wish the most success on your journey.