Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am only a couple weeks out but planning ahead. I cannot stomach Protein Shakes since my surgery. I was wondering what the best Protein Bar was so I can stock up for when I'm on normal foods.

I would wait and not stock up as your taste buds will change. I did this pre surgery with Protein Shakes and there was a few brands I did not like after surgery. So I had over 8 4 pkgs of Protein shakes I can't drink.

Premier Protein makes bars that are high in Protein and low in sugar. Personally, I can't stomach them. The next best thing I found is Atkins bars. moderately high in protein and low in sugar. Though they do have sugar alcohol in them, some people are sensitive to sugar alcohol.

Quest Bars are good but not all flavors. Power Crunch is also very good and most flavors are excellent.

Thanks all!

The cookie dough Quest bars are amazing if you microwave them for 10 seconds. It tastes like a sinful treat! I can't remember the nutritional info off the top of my head but I think they have like 180 calories and 20g of Protein.< /p>

Edited by MrsRoboto

I would stick with tuna packets, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, and chunks of chicken breast as Snacks. Protein Bars are way too high calorie and high carb for the amount of Protein you get, and most of them are "slider" foods -- won't satisfy you, and may trigger cravings for other high-carb, high calorie snacks.

I would stick with tuna packets, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, and chunks of chicken breast as Snacks. Protein bars are way too high calorie and high carb for the amount of protein you get, and most of them are "slider" foods -- won't satisfy you, and may trigger cravings for other high-carb, high calorie snacks.

Thanks! That is my plan. My doc told me I absolutely must eat six times a day. I know I will need purse go to items to manage that on crazy days. He said a half of protein bar works. So I want to have some on hand, but want to make sure they are the better ones and not candy bars in disguise.

I like the Atkins bars but I lose interest in the flavors. I would wait until after the surgery. I have to stand in the aisle and look at the different boxes and see what appeals to me now.

I somewhat disagree with @Bufflehead. Some Protein bars are definitely bad, and all do have more calories than pure chicken or tuna. However, some can be very filling and satisfying especially if you have a sweet tooth.

Quest bars have 160-210 calories for 20 grams of Protein, so there are extra calories. Some of those are from a Prebiotic Fiber - while not as good as vegetable Fiber, i do find it filling. Also, I found that Protein Bars keep my sweet tooth at bay so I don't crave other 'real' sweets.

There are also Chocorite Protein bars that are pretty much half sized (both physically and nutritionally at 100 cals 10g protein) Quest bars in a fewer amount of flavors. (I really like the yellow cake)

The PowerCrunch bars are higher calorie for the protein (fair amount of fat) and much less filling - but taste great. I use them some before going to the gym since I need some fuel, but don't want a full stomach.

I've also tried many other brands (Pure Protein isn't bad, but no fiber), but the Quest, Chocorite, and occasional pre workout PowerCrunch are my main ones.

This is just my experience as others may have triggering issues with them since they are all sweet, so you would have to know yourself or watch your intake until you know.