Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it CHEATING or is it a CHOICE?

This comment just won the internet for the day to me!

if you truly need to know if it's okay to eat the triple bypass bacon jalapeño and nacho cheese burger in between two donuts and wash it down with a soda 2 days after surgery the gracious folks here will help you!

The best way to success with your weight loss is not to deprive yourself. When you stop eating everything you love then you run the risk of failure as a person can only hold their breath under Water for so long.

The best way to success with your weight loss is not to deprive yourself. When you stop eating everything you love then you run the risk of failure as a person can only hold their breath under Water for so long.

Agree! Choice, not cheat.

This comment just won the internet for the day to me!

if you truly need to know if it's okay to eat the triple bypass bacon jalapeño and nacho cheese burger in between two donuts and wash it down with a soda 2 days after surgery the gracious folks here will help you!

Thank you! :)

Choice. It's all choice.

90% of my choices are gold star healthy. However, 10% of the time I choose to have a cookie, or a carb instead of Protein, or a few bites of dessert. I don't think of that as cheating. I think of that as strategically choosing to eat unhealthy crap because the other 90% of my choices are healthy food and daily exercise.

Many people with weight issues feel very out-of-control when it comes to food, and become good at ignoring the reality of their food addictions. The act of cheating is a negative, out-of-control type of behavior. I think that saying "I cheated" instead of "I chose" takes a lot of the personal responsibility off of the individual. It's mostly subconscious and the thought process goes something like this...

Eating this pie is cheating. Cheating is an out-of control behavior. My cheat-eating is out of my control. I am not responsible for uncontrollable events.

Hopefully, most people will realize BEFORE they have a wls that their eating and their emotions are all wrapped up together in an unhealthy mash-up of emotional pleasure, pain, reward, punishment, and coping. We use all sorts of unconscious tricks to protect our toxic relationship with food. Being a victim of uncontrollable events is a biggie when you're talking about a person's ability to take personal responsibility.

Words and Language are very powerful. This is a great example of that.

@@AussieSam Exactly. As long as I understand the ramifications behind my choices, I'll allow an occasional treat. I may have to adjust my caloric intake in other meals or increase my physical activity to burn off that choice. A single chip or slice of bacon won't likely derail my weight loss. But a routine pattern of eating "treats" would put me right back where I started. I don't want to go through this again.

• @@LipstickLady I love your post you are so right I really thing it's not cheating it's what you decided to do everything we do in life is about choices and then dealing with the aftermath whatever that may be!

If we, as bariatric patients, want to see indifinite change/long term success:

We have to CHOOSE to retrain our palattes.

We have to CHOOSE replace bad eating habits with good habits.

We have to CHOOSE to become active.

We have to CHOOSE to live longer, healthier lives.

If we so CHOOSE at anytime to eat, drink, or consume goods that are NOT GOOD for our bodies, then we are faced with the CHOICE to get back on track and start all over again with CHOICES that are better for bodies/health/lives. Many of us will CHOOSE to "indulge" in non- healthy foods, but how often and how soon you get back on track is your CHOICE.

I have stumbled many-a-time...but I have CHOSEN to get back up, wipe my knees and go at it again.

As my journey has continued, I seem to stumble less and less. I DO NOT blame anyone or anybody for my stumbles...they were my CHOICES; and because I CHOSE to fight back against my years of bad habits, and because I CHOSE to fight for a healthier way of living, I consider my sleeve story to be one of success despite my stumbles.

So, @@LipstickLady is right. What we eat and what we do with our bodies is a CHOICE...not a cheat, just a CHOICE...good or bad.

And we keep choosing. Every day. Every meal. Every workout.

This was an interesting thread. Thanks for making me think @@LipstickLady . As I thought this through, I came to the conclusion that whether we call it, cheating or choosing, simply doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I came across a quote that says, "If you kind of sort of try, you kind of sorta get results." In other words, the results you achieve are directly proportional with the efforts you put in. So really, whether we call it cheating or choosing...kind of a moot point in my opinion and is just semantics describing the same effort or lack thereof.

@@ProjectMe That's what I was trying to express. Its semantic. All cheating involves a choice, but not all choices are cheating. In any case, I don't care really (and don't even use the term for myself) and agree with the gist of what we're all trying to put forward. OWN all your choices.

PREACH! AMEN!

And we keep choosing. Every day. Every meal. Every workout.

@@LipstickLady so long as nothing on you actually lights up (or makes weird sounds) its all good.