Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@Smye Thank you so much for the link. That sounds good too. I've tried mashed cauliflower a couple of times. Pretty tasty but I'm getting bored. Missing bread and crispy things. I'm currently limited to 20g of carbs a day.

@@wascott, wow, thats fairly restrictive - though I will say that eating roughly 1000 cal/day and eating mostly things off of the blog, I end up under 40 g almost completely.

@@Smye I'm currently doing pre-op weight loss. I'm on the Atkins induction diet for about 5 weeks then a liquid diet for the two weeks prior to surgery. It's incredibly restrictive but combined with exercise, it is working. It's difficult to get creative when you're so limited on carbs. If I hit my weight target early maybe my nutritionist will relax it a tad.

@@wascott, either way good luck and keep us posted. You'll get through and it's well worth it! Just don't forget to ask for help if/when you get frustrated or stuck

Straws are also ok after 4 to 6 weeks!!! You cannot deprive yourself of everything! Moderation is always the key for me! If I want Pasta, I'll have a bite or two after I've had my protein!!! Or a bite of a cookie one day!!!

@

What was the taste and texture like? Texture is what usually gets me. It kind of looked a little like naan bread but I imagine the texture is more like a meringue?

I made some a couple of days ago. It is like a very light and fluffy meringue, and does taste a little eggy on its own, but when I had it in place of bread for a ham and egg sandwich for Breakfast, and for a ham salad sandwich for lunch, I couldn't taste it at all (either texture or flavour). It works perfectly as a food 'holder' in place of bread; even though it feels fragile, it held up really well.

@ Yes, it is very confusing seeing the varieties that Bariatrics patients eat. I felt the same way when I began my journey. But after awhile on the boards and websites, you begin to see trends in the more successful people and trends in the more unsuccessful folks. I began to pay close attention to the veterans and those who were successful in meeting their goal and staying close to it. I emulate those people because that is where I want to be. My suggestion is to take others suggestions with a grain of salt, but pay very close attention to your nutritionist, surgeon, & the successful vets.

I think it's totally a matter of what works for YOU. Some people are affected by carbs a lot more than others. Luckily, I'm not - I was a "huge volume of EVERYTHING" eater. Cutting carbs out works for me, but it makes me miserable and when I lose control, I binge - so I include some in my diet. Not a ton, but enough to stay satisfied. Still hit my Protein goals and stay under 1000 calories /day with a couple of rare exceptions (usually hovering around 800-900), but the variety works for me. Plus the Fiber from whole grains helps keep things moving. Then again, I know people who will stall out if they SMELL bread and they won't lose if they add them.

I hope you're able to find your path easily! Good luck to you :)

@ Yes, it is very confusing seeing the varieties that Bariatrics patients eat. I felt the same way when I began my journey. But after awhile on the boards and websites, you begin to see trends in the more successful people and trends in the more unsuccessful folks. I began to pay close attention to the veterans and those who were successful in meeting their goal and staying close to it. I emulate those people because that is where I want to be. My suggestion is to take others suggestions with a grain of salt, but pay very close attention to your nutritionist, surgeon, & the successful vets.

Do you mind elaborating little on these trends?

At the point i'm at, i'm just really confused. Tbh my dietitians don't fill me with much confidence.

My bariatric team has provided a diet list that's extremely carb friendly, you're allow Pasta and bread and whilst on here and other sites have a particular anti carb narrative. At the moment, i'm just trying to stay away from carbs as much possible to give me the best chance of meeting and progressing past my goal weight.

@@SoulGlo I'm on a very low carb pre-op diet. As for post-op diet, I don't think I'll have any room left to eat carby foods like Pasta or bread once I get my requisite Protein and veggies eaten. I'll (hopefully) be too full. :) At least in the weeks or months following surgery.