Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I follow a bunch of VSG and RNY patients on Instagram and, on that site, I see a huge disparity in what people are eating post-op and wanted to get your feedback.

Some WLS folks appear to follow a regimented high protein/low carb diet such as Atkins or Paleo. Others snap frequent pictures of meals with rice, potatoes, breads, etc. - one gal gets a 6 inch sub from Subway a couple times a week. I also see lots of Frappucinos (with straws!), booze and soda. Granted, all of the foods consumed are in smaller amounts, but it's confusing to someone who is trying to figure out what to eat and what to avoid going forward.

Is the post-op way of eating really "all things in moderation," or is it "avoid starches and sugars?" I'm in this for the rest of my life, and I don't want to get started down a track that leads to regaining whatever weight is lost after surgery.

What are your opinions on this? I'd appreciate your feedback.

I think this is a great question/topic. I'll be interested to read what others post about this. I'm a little over 3 months post op and my surgeon/nutritionist advised (especially for the first year) to stay away from carbs/starches/sugars. They suggested my diet be protein/vegetables/water. If I made breads/subs/sugar, etc (even in small amounts) as part of my daily diet, I (personally) would not loose weight. Even with having VSG.

It was pretty cut and dry, the way the NUT put things. No bread, Pasta, sugar, soda. It definitely amazes me what I've seen others eat, but hey it's their journey not mine. I want to use my new tool as effectively as I can, while I can. Its potency, for lack of better terms, seems to not be very long (long enough to lose), so why jeopardize any possible progress?

For me personally, carbs are the devil If I go over 40 carbs, it slows my roll. I eat mostly paleo/primal. That means basically that I avoid the inside rows in the grocery store except for spices or paper products. I strive to not eat anything made in a factory.

I wag my head and my heart sinks every time someone posts that are disregarding their doctor's plan and just doing what they want, and eating stage four regular foods as soon as they get home from the hospital. If you follow the stages of re-intoducing foods to your new tummy and are gentle with it, you will be rewarded with the weight loss you are seeking with little or no complications. I wish you good luck and good health.

I was told to stick to 40/40 carbs and fats. My primary focus is on Protein 80-100 grams/day, veggies and my Water. I do use straws as it significantly increases my ablity to get my liquids in and I have not had any issues with gas. I was told I could have wine or other non-carbonated alcoholic beverages after a year but just one on occassion because of the sugar/carb content. I do have a couple crackers or pretzel crisps now and again when I have tuna salad, usually no more than 2-3 crackers in total. It gives me that much needed crunch since I still am not allowed raw veggies (carrots are my favorite). I also had a very toasted 1/2 slice of bread with my eggs the other morning. Both are allowed per my plan and stage.

I was told pastas, rice and potatoes are okay but in very small quantities. And to always start with my Protein and at least eat half of it before starting the veg, eat half of the veg before a bite of the starch. Take a couple bites of starch and move back to the protein. The idea is you will finish your protein and veg and likely not have room for the starch at the end.

I do miss pizza and I can only imagine there will be a time in the future when I will try to have a slice of thin or flat bread pizza and I think that is okay. The NUT said many people find the crust too Gummy and that a crisp flat bread is the way to go or just to eat the toppings.

Personally, I don't think complete deprevision (unless it is harmful) is always the best way to go. Part of the journey is re-training your brain as well as your stomach. I think a balance can be struck and there are foods that can be enjoyed in moderation or only on special occasion. Of course if you have a trigger food then finding healthy substitutes might be best.

You'll get a hundred different answers and all of them are right if it works for them. My surgeon and his procedures have NOT been the norm from the get go compared to others going through this process. My surgery started off with only a one day fast before surgery, followed by outpatient VSG (I was home within a couple of hours) and my NUT supervised diet seemed to progress faster than others with me being able to eat/drink (only no carbonation) at 5 weeks out. I actually had to step away from the boards for a while because it was personally driving me insane to keep comparing myself to others. I've had everything under the sun to eat/drink (in moderation because of my sleeve) while traveling the globe since two months after surgery. I do keep Proteins first, try to get in at least 60 grams daily, and limit any bad carbs/fat. Do I have cake, alcohol, chocolate... if I want it...sure!!! In very small amounts and not every day. I slip. For me this isn't a diet...it's my life. Forever!! I want to be healthier, but I also want to live!! And for me that includes not denying myself things I want. The sleeve helps me control it. Now in saying that I know the honeymoon period is going to end. I know it will be harder. And I know I'll have to work for it. But I take one day at a time and do what works for me as long as it is under my doctors guidelines. I had surgery November 26, 2014 and have lost a total of 96 pounds since the week before surgery.

@ShellMilliner I've seen people making mini-pizzas with wonton wrappers and getting good results. Lower carb and very small in terms of portion size.

@KerrieDC I've also seen the cauliflower "crust". I might have to try making both.

@@ShellMilliner I did Atkins for about 4 years straight. Haven't tried the cauliflower crust, but did make one with eggs and cream cheese. It was good in a pinch.

@@Thenewnic Thanks!

I'd read that the first 12 months after surgery is the period where the most weight is lost, and that it becomes more difficult to lose weight after that window closes. Reading that led me to believe that I would need to be extremely strict with myself for a defined period of time, but that I could have the occasional treat after hitting my weight loss goal. But I'll need to speak to my NUT and Doc about that. I want to make sure I'm doing every thing I can to lose the weight AND maintain that loss.

@ funny you should mention that receipe I just ran across a blog on one of the other threads where the person had a recipe for BariBread which is made with egg whites and cream cheese. I saw they used it for sandwiches and grilled cheese, etc...

What was the taste and texture like? Texture is what usually gets me. It kind of looked a little like naan bread but I imagine the texture is more like a meringue?

@@ShellMilliner I haven't had it in awhile, but I remember it being good. Covered with pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni masks the eggy flavor. If you were going to use it as bread, I think it would be better cold, as the eggy flavor isn't as noticeable as it is when it's warm.

@, you're right on - it's nuts some of the things people eat and, amazingly, manage to keep losing. Keep in mind though that if you actually look at the data (NIH has an excellent warehouse of research papers), those folks are the few and the far between - the vast majority of folks who are successful with WLS eat relatively low carb, high Protein, and mostly un-processed foods without artificial sweeteners.

Again, there are definitely exceptions, but by and large those are the criteria for success. Mostly though, talk to your NUT. If there's something you want to eat or something you miss, ask him/her for their take. Your NUT knows your situation better than anyone on the forums and is going to be a hell of a lot more reliable and educated than the masses writ large.

That said, I do have a blog of bariatric friendly, whole, foods that fit the criteria I mentioned here that you might find useful. I've run every recipe past my NUT with great success. Also, I do use stevia in one or two recipes, but as a seasoning rather than a sweetener and I use powdered leaves from my own plant rather than that processed, white powder.

That egg white bari bread sounds interesting. I'll have to try that one.

@@wascott, the flavor is similar to potato bread, though the texture is a tad odd. For something closer to bread in texture and without the egginess you can also try the Caulibread.