Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Example meal after gastric surgery?

I'm not sure how typical 600 calories at 9 months out is. It sounds really low.
I'm 8.5 weeks out and can eat for a meal:
1. 4 oz of tuna salad
Or
2. 3 oz refried Beans and one egg
Or
3. 4oz cottage cheese and 1 oz avacado
Etc.
I'm getting 1100-1200 calories a day.

I agree that 600 is too low. I'm 8.5 weeks out and eat about the same amount of calories as you. :)

4 weeks 3 days post gastric bypass . Where can I find sample menus for phase 2 and 3. Soft liquids have been sort of a challenge .I be afraid of eating too much because I haven't gotten the normal Full Feeling. I am getting about 600 calories a day and between 70g - 90g of Protein. Any help insight is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

Also when you say you take in 64 oz of liquid is that Water or what other drinks do u have other then Water or do we have to take. In 64 oz of water only per day
Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon told me any Fluid that does not have caffeine or alcohol in them counts towards the 64 oz.

7 hours ago, Unkle Jaye said:

4 weeks 3 days post gastric bypass . Where can I find sample menus for phase 2 and 3. Soft liquids have been sort of a challenge .I be afraid of eating too much because I haven't gotten the normal Full Feeling. I am getting about 600 calories a day and between 70g - 90g of Protein. Any help insight is greatly appreciated.

If you have a kitchen scale that will measure ounces (like 3.8oz), great! If you don't.. you need to get one.

You need to weigh anything that is too thick to go through a straw. 4th week out I was eating things like cottage cheese and refried Beans. Your plan may differ. Weigh out 3 oz. Eat slowly and stop at the first sign of fullness. You might only make it through half your portion. When 3 oz goes down easily and you're thinking another bite or two would be good, start going with 4oz. You will stick with 4 ounces for a long time (Forever with meats). You probably won't be putting 4 ounces of anything down until 7 or 8 weeks post op, except for Soups.

I hadn't been eating Soup, and I tried a potato soup around 6 weeks post op. Was surprised when 8 ounces went down like nothing. Soup is like liquid at that point, and Portion Control is super important.

OK, then I really have a silly question and maybe I just wasn't paying attention when i attended nut classes..... So I had fully bypass and the one thing that I did note in my paperwork was that my stomach would be reduced to a 2 ounce pouch. So in my pea brain mind, I guess I look at everything in front of me and think of it in the terms of "isn't that just about 2 ounces?" So when you say you have 8 ounces of Soup, I wonder how that's possible? What part of this deal am I missing? Im scared that i'm going to stretch my tummy out....

OK, then I really have a silly question and maybe I just wasn't paying attention when i attended nut classes..... So I had fully bypass and the one thing that I did note in my paperwork was that my stomach would be reduced to a 2 ounce pouch. So in my pea brain mind, I guess I look at everything in front of me and think of it in the terms of "isn't that just about 2 ounces?" So when you say you have 8 ounces of Soup, I wonder how that's possible? What part of this deal am I missing? Im scared that i'm going to stretch my tummy out....

It's what scares me also. Even when drinking liquids I have to be extra conscient of my intake because I'm not getting the same feeling of fullness that I had Been getting right after surgery. I could barely get 2 oz down in an hour.

Just now, Unkle Jaye said:

It's what scares me also. Even when drinking liquids I have to be extra conscient of my intake because I'm not getting the same feeling of fullness that I had Been getting right after surgery. I could barely get 2 oz down in an hour.

see, and your surgery wasn't too far behind mine. I struggle with everything, especially Protein Shakes and Water. But I will say that I'm not having any issue feeling full. That is a constant really but maybe in the next few weeks that will change and I won't have that sensation anymore.

we are all so different out here it's super hard to gauge things.

If you have a kitchen scale that will measure ounces (like 3.8oz), great! If you don't.. you need to get one.
You need to weigh anything that is too thick to go through a straw. 4th week out I was eating things like cottage cheese and refried Beans. Your plan may differ. Weigh out 3 oz. Eat slowly and stop at the first sign of fullness. You might only make it through half your portion. When 3 oz goes down easily and you're thinking another bite or two would be good, start going with 4oz. You will stick with 4 ounces for a long time (Forever with meats). You probably won't be putting 4 ounces of anything down until 7 or 8 weeks post op, except for Soups.
I hadn't been eating Soup, and I tried a potato soup around 6 weeks post op. Was surprised when 8 ounces went down like nothing. Soup is like liquid at that point, and Portion Control is super important.

Thanks. I have really been concerned that I may have stretched my pouch by not measuring portions. Thanks again for all of the information you shared. Any suggestions on where to find kitchen scale.

Well, I do have the sleeve instead of the pouch, but they work similar. Your pouch might hold 2 oz of solid food, but liquids will just pour right into the intestines. Soup, well chewed, is akin to milkshake consistency, so it just pours right through. (Potato soup in my case.. not beef vegetable.. that might be more filling, not sure).

Umm... I've had my digital scale for a long time, but I imagine Amazon or even the store on this site might have a good scale. You might want to use a scale for years, so it's worth the investment.

Your surgeon might recommend sticking to a 2 ounce portion longer than mine did. You could always ask :)

I had Rny about 12 days ago. My nutritionist said to measure in volume not by a scale. It makes sense to me because if you put an empty bowl on a scale and put 4oz of popcorn in it you would fill the bowl. But if you go by a 1/2 cup of popcorn it's much less. Just using popcorn as an example.

On 5/20/2017 at 6:35 PM, Unkle Jaye said:

Thanks. I have really been concerned that I may have stretched my pouch by not measuring portions. Thanks again for all of the information you shared. Any suggestions on where to find kitchen scale.< br />

I was just at Walmart today looking for a 2nd scale. Kitchen scales range from $10-20.

I just find it convenient to weigh most things. Many foods are oddly shaped, so don't fit into a measuring cup well.

Cubed chicken or cheese are good examples.