Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Call the Bariatrics police!

I had my first drink since New Years eve last weekend. And it was a single glass of hard cider. I got buzzed off the one glass fairly quickly, I would say within 10 minutes of drinking the drink. But just as quick as that buzz came, it went away just a quickly. That cider is about as hard of alcohol I've consumed. Prior to the surgery, I could out drink and last some of the best of them without even getting buzzed let alone drunk or super intoxicated. Now, I'm a very small lightweight.

But just as quick as that buzz came, it went away just a quickly.

Just an FYI...even though the buzz feeling goes away, the blood alcohol levels leave our bodies more slowly so you shouldn't drive because your blood alcohol level will still be elevated even though you maynot feel the classic effects of being buzzed.

But just as quick as that buzz came, it went away just a quickly.

Just an FYI...even though the buzz feeling goes away, the blood alcohol levels leave our bodies more slowly so you shouldn't drive because your blood alcohol level will still be elevated even though you maynot feel the classic effects of being buzzed.

Thanks for the tip. I have no plans on resuming the old level of alcohol consumptions I had prior to surgery. But knowing that it can stay elevated in the blood stream that long will indeed make me question doing it again. That and a super strict girlfriend that makes sure I follow my doctor's advice and not stray away.

Well the cups that were being served was about 6 oz but not filled to the top, so I would say maybe 4-5 oz. I really believe it depends on the individual. 5 days after the wine and I'm doing great and still loosing weight.

You're lucky you're not in the hospital.

Confession time: I am 2.5 weeks post op, and had a Margarita at 2 wks and IT WAS SOO GOOD!! ????. It didn't affect me any differently either.

I'm thinking of having a tiny sip and couple sips....im 2 weeks out.

Confession time: I am 2.5 weeks post op, and had a Margarita at 2 wks and IT WAS SOO GOOD!! ????. It didn't affect me any differently either.

ppl are such prudes lol drink up ull be fine im about 6months out and i drink more now than i did before surgery and im fine lol well everything is fine so far since i STILL cant eat as much

Every one has there own opinion, and that's good. It was just one night that I went out and had drinks . I have no desire to do it again anytime soon. About the eating part. It was a bite not a full meal or a whole hot dog. I said I had some not sat and ate the whole pizza all the ice cream or a whole hot dog. One bite was enough and worked to take away the WANTING it. I guess I am just one of the few fortunate ones to not experience horrible side effects. My BMI. Before surgery was right at the go line. If I lost a couple more pounds before surgery I would have not Been able to proceed. I paid out of pocket. The whole thing . And have no regrets. I'm happy with my decisions and my life. Are you?

hey don't feel bad it is very hard to go cold turkey after years of enjoying something that was so comforting to us and that's why I put call the Bariatric police because some people are so fuckin judgemental like has anybody honestly been 100% perfect in their journey please tell me who have no shame in my game to hell with the rest of them ✌

I could not agree more. This journey is one all of us chose to do as adults. And I am really happy someone had the courage to be honest about some of the things they have had the desire to do and did. And to say "you will not get support when you need it" is crazy to me. We're human beings and should never look down on one another. I will be having my surgery Tuesday and posts like these let me see another side to it and make me understand how real this is and how we need to cope. Not everything is easy. If taking a bite and being happy and being able to maintain helped then that is a small victory. I read from others that after 2 yrs post op they still take a bite chew it up and then spit it out. At the end of the day we should be free of judgement on this site and if you don't agree then feel free to show that in a non attacking manner. Were all adults and thank you @@Cars for this post.

Every one has there own opinion, and that's good. It was just one night that I went out and had drinks . I have no desire to do it again anytime soon. About the eating part. It was a bite not a full meal or a whole hot dog. I said I had some not sat and ate the whole pizza all the ice cream or a whole hot dog. One bite was enough and worked to take away the WANTING it. I guess I am just one of the few fortunate ones to not experience horrible side effects. My BMI. Before surgery was right at the go line. If I lost a couple more pounds before surgery I would have not Been able to proceed. I paid out of pocket. The whole thing . And have no regrets. I'm happy with my decisions and my life. Are you?

hey don't feel bad it is very hard to go cold turkey after years of enjoying something that was so comforting to us and that's why I put call the Bariatric police because some people are so fuckin judgemental like has anybody honestly been 100% perfect in their journey please tell me who have no shame in my game to hell with the rest of them ✌
I could not agree more. This journey is one all of us chose to do as adults. And I am really happy someone had the courage to be honest about some of the things they have had the desire to do and did. And to say "you will not get support when you need it" is crazy to me. We're human beings and should never look down on one another. I will be having my surgery Tuesday and posts like these let me see another side to it and make me understand how real this is and how we need to cope. Not everything is easy. If taking a bite and being happy and being able to maintain helped then that is a small victory. I read from others that after 2 yrs post op they still take a bite chew it up and then spit it out. At the end of the day we should be free of judgement on this site and if you don't agree then feel free to show that in a non attacking manner. Were all adults and thank you @@Cars for this post.
i couldn't have said it better myself

ppl are such prudes lol drink up ull be fine im about 6months out and i drink more now than i did before surgery and im fine lol well everything is fine so far since i STILL cant eat as much

Great advice!

:thud:

Confession time: I am 2.5 weeks post op, and had a Margarita at 2 wks and IT WAS SOO GOOD!! . It didn't affect me any differently either.

why would you encourage someone to do something that could be very harmful?

What happened to following your doctor's/NUT's orders? I've been instructed absolutely no alcohol until 6 months post op. To me, it's not worth taking a chance on eating/drinking something I'm not supposed to. And if you're "cheating" two weeks post op what will you be doing month's out? Make sure you're dedicated to the process. We all want success right?

Edited by jfzimmerman

So some people asked for information on "Why Alcohol Is Bad" post surgery. (Particularly directly after)

Most of it has to do with wound healing. As people have said, your stomach has a large 'wound' in it from the surgery. There are many studies which describe the effect of alcohol, however this is one of my favorites. For those who don't have time to go through it all:

"In summary, acute ethanol exposure can lead to impaired wound healing by impairing the early inflammatory response, inhibiting wound closure, angiogenesis, and collagen production, and altering the protease balance at the wound site.

As mentioned previously, the host response to chronic alcohol exposure appears to be different from that of acute alcohol exposure. Analysis of clinical data indicates that chronic alcohol exposure causes impaired wound healing and enhanced host susceptibility to infections, but the detailed mechanisms that explain this effect need more investigation."

Do what you want to do. We are all big girls and boys here, however know the risks and benefits of all of your actions.

Upon reading all of this thread I just have to add this. Most of us have issues making good choices to begin with. Examples are with our health, as in food choices and when to say enough on eating. Most of us had surgery to help us with that. Eating less and eating better. So why do we find it shocking that some choose not so great things still after surgery? I mean YES it is shocking, but is it really? Think about it. If it was easy to make the right decisions on our health, would we be posting on this page or having this surgery? Hopefully with the help of people (doctors, psychologist, NUT and friends) we can LEARN that the choices we make can be destructive (eating, drinking not so good things). But it's all a learning process. Ridding ourselves of destructive bad habits and behavior. Just my two cents.