Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Call the Bariatrics police!

Aaaaand I'm out.

Okay, does anyone have any information stating that alcohol is dangerous too soon after surgery ? All I can find is "it can impact you differently" in other words you feel it a lot faster and of coarse empty calories and the risk of transfer addiction, but all that aside, I'm looking for actual research showing it is a risk to staple line ect. My surgeon had no stipulations on alcohol following the sleeve and in fact said "it's a liquid" you'll be fine, I had 2 margaritas about a month out. However, I recently had a revision so I'm looking for information in order to make an informed decision this time about if I would want to have a drink next weekend while out of town for the Holiday.

My program is very conservative, particularly about alcohol. The transference of addictions was the main concern, as nutritionist, surgeons, psycholologist, and nurses all discussed with me during all stages of this process. I drank maybe a glass of wine a month before surgery, so didn't quite understand what the big deal was. Well after they showed the research during our various meetings...I no longer questioned the importance of being aware of this problem.

Combine the research proven issues of addiction, empty calories, stress on the liver after a major surgery, not to mention my new tummy is so small I really don't want to waste space on alcohol...I choose not to go against my program's rules in regards to alcohol. Just not worth it in my opinion.

But something I've learned on boards...some people rationalize/loosely interpret their programs rules...so my words or the words of way more experienced/successful others is taken offense to or just ignored anyways no matter how much logic is provided. Folks will do what they want to do period.

Again this seems like program recommendations, where is the research you speak of that was presented to you ? I would like to see that.

Ha! I'm so very tickled.

Why exactly is that ? We've debated before, you know that I'm respectful of others, but that I also appreciate valid arguments and facts to back them up, why would it "tickle" you that I would ask for research and documented proof before making an educated decision about my health especially when SO many doctors also see this issue so differently. Or was that not directed at me ?

Nope. It wasn't.

In that case, I apologize.

Okay, does anyone have any information stating that alcohol is dangerous too soon after surgery ? All I can find is "it can impact you differently" in other words you feel it a lot faster and of coarse empty calories and the risk of transfer addiction, but all that aside, I'm looking for actual research showing it is a risk to staple line ect. My surgeon had no stipulations on alcohol following the sleeve and in fact said "it's a liquid" you'll be fine, I had 2 margaritas about a month out. However, I recently had a revision so I'm looking for information in order to make an informed decision this time about if I would want to have a drink next weekend while out of town for the Holiday.

My program is very conservative, particularly about alcohol. The transference of addictions was the main concern, as nutritionist, surgeons, psycholologist, and nurses all discussed with me during all stages of this process. I drank maybe a glass of wine a month before surgery, so didn't quite understand what the big deal was. Well after they showed the research during our various meetings...I no longer questioned the importance of being aware of this problem.

Combine the research proven issues of addiction, empty calories, stress on the liver after a major surgery, not to mention my new tummy is so small I really don't want to waste space on alcohol...I choose not to go against my program's rules in regards to alcohol. Just not worth it in my opinion.

But something I've learned on boards...some people rationalize/loosely interpret their programs rules...so my words or the words of way more experienced/successful others is taken offense to or just ignored anyways no matter how much logic is provided. Folks will do what they want to do period.

Again this seems like program recommendations, where is the research you speak of that was presented to you ? I would like to see that.
I am a librarian so research is my thing. However, I'm leery of spending my time locating the research for you when a simple Google search using the key words, "alcohol dependence bariatric surgery" returns quite a few results. Seems like this issue is no secret. If I thought it would make a difference & you would use this info in a responsible manner, I'd hop on that research for you. But Something tells me that you are going to do what you want to do anyways. What I don't get is why not save time & take your surgeon's & the many folks on this board's word for it. I mean we can't all be blindly following our programs plans without logic & reason... right?

I am a librarian so research is my thing. However, I'm leery of spending my time locating the research for you when a simple Google search using the key words, "alcohol dependence bariatric surgery" returns quite a few results. Seems like this issue is no secret. If I thought it would make a difference & you would use this info in a responsible manner, I'd hop on that research for you. But Something tells me that you are going to do what you want to do anyways. What I don't get is why not save time & take your surgeon's & the many folks on this board's word for it. I mean we can't all be blindly following our programs plans without logic & reason... right?

That's where you would be wrong. If I read that there was proof that drinking too soon would effect my healing insides I definitely would not do it. I did do a quick search and yes like I said originally, I found information supporting things like liquid calories (no brainer) transfer addiction ( I'm an 8 yr bariatric surgery vet, if I was in danger of this it would have happened when I lost over 100lbs with the band) and alcohol entering the blood stream faster ( I experienced this with the sleeve) what I didn't find and what I'm asking for is research that it somehow is dangerous to my healing process. Iv had 3 procedures from 3 different surgeons and they all said something different. I also worked in bariatric surgery for 6 years and I know for a fact that surgeons often just go with what they feel or what sounds good and don't always have great scientific research to back it up, a perfect example of this would be the insane differences in post op diets ! So, being an educated person, I prefer to take my surgeons recommendations but also do my own research and then make an informed decision about what I feel best suits my personal situation so sure you could see that as "I'm going to do whatever I want anyway" and while in the end that may be true I'm also going to have a good evidence based reason for doing so.

^^^^Rationalizing at its best^^^. I'm out.

Some people will insist on drinking days after surgery regardless of the research. Don't waste your time.

Some people may, but I am not some people. Why would educating yourself and others through valid evidence based research ever be a waste of time ?

^^^^Rationalizing at its best^^^. I'm out.

In other words you have no answers for my questions so you try to insult me by calling it rationalizing ? You should be "out" then because you obviously have nothing worth while to contribute to the conversation. I was stating a very valid point and being completely genuine with my response and the reason for my questions, in NO WAY is that "rationalizing" anything.

I don't get it. What is the attraction with liquor that it is so important to defend? Most of it smells like horse piss anyway. What amazes me is that a person can drink a six pack or a twelve pack of beer on Superbowl Sunday, but no way would they drink 12 cans of Water.

I do understand that in some places around the globe, the wine is safer to drink than the Water, but we are not in Outer Mongolia. Oh well. We have gone around the barn and back with this thread. I give up. I'm out.

post-253559-14319163084183_thumb.jpg

From the American society of Metobolic and Bariatric Surgery

Thank you, but again, that only clarifies what Iv already stated. Is it dangerous to my healing process ? Does it effect my staple line ? Will it cause a leak? Will it irritate my recently cut up insides ? That's what i want to know.

And just for the record, I would have no problem never drinking again, I only ever do it 2-3x a year anyway and that's usually only on vacations, but I can't help it, I crave knowledge and education. I just want to know.

I would just like to pose this question... Why would you feel the need to drink so soon after surgery while your stomach is still healing? Why would you take a chance after coming this far to mess things up and possibly hurt yourself? Even though there may not be evidence that it will hurt you, why would you chance it? You could wait at least a couple months out until your stomach was fully healed. Who knows what kind of affect alcohol has not only on your new stomach but your other organs because the digestion in your stomach is now different. Those are just some of the questions I would ask. Just because you can, doesn't mean it's good for you. If you need to drink that badly that you can't wait until your stomach is fully healed then I think there may be a problem.