Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Call the Bariatrics police!

I know the OP meant to be funny, but these threads often end up being a battle of who's rules are right. It's not so much each little detailed rule, it's the glib attitude toward "bariatric rebellion" that concerns me. It's "let me see how far I can push the envelope" and get away with it. Then to announce it, have others chime in, it ends up sounding like the no alcohol rule is silly and encourages behavior that does not lead to success.

The hard, cold truth is that weight loss is hard, and maintenance is harder. One bad decision won't break any of us. One drink won't make us fat or drunks. However, a general attitude of "let me see what I can get away with" seems like a bad idea to me.

For me, I know that I can't maintain perfection forever. None of us can. We are humans, and most of us are in this boat because we couldn't refrain from eating and drinking too much. So, knowing that, I do strive for perfection every day. If I set that as my goal, I figure I won't be too far off the mark at the end of the day. If I strive for less, I'd probably be further off. I know if I had allowed myself too much latitude in the beginning, I would be worse off today. I had to learn new behavior, and I had to learn that I AM capable of following a plan that leads to success, and I learned what it takes to do that. The early days are what set me up for success by establishing new habits. It's the easiest time to do that, so my advice is to take advantage of the gift you have.

The problem is not that the person veered off course. We will all do that. The problem was the person consumed a dangerous amount of alcohol/food days after their surgery, which could have seriously danger that person's recovery, health, and life. Although im glad that person is fine, I do not want anyone reading this to think that person's actions are acceptable. Some people read this form to see how far they can push their surgery. Someone reading that this person consumed xyz and was fine means they can do the same and be fine.

Again what is done is done but I felt the need to respond out of concern to the future sleevers.

Well, guess I won't be sharing any of my faults anymore. That scratches that! SMH B)

Well, guess I won't be sharing any of my faults anymore. That scratches that! SMH B)

Not "faults". CHOICES.

As long as your choices aren't endangering your health, share away. We've all been there. But if you're drinking multiple alcoholic beverages weeks out from surgery, prepare to get your ass handed to you. By most of us AND your doctor.

And if you feel that drinking and eating things you shouldn't be just weeks out from surgery is justifiable, then I SMH at YOU.

I really don't know how anyone could!! I'm a little over 3 weeks out, and My tiny tummy won't hold crap!

Polarizing posts like this one make me shake my head, too. There is a strong difference between seeking guidance from your bariatric brothers and sisters for some part of his journey has you totally befuddled and that the original poster this time is flaunting a deliberate step off of the beaten path to indulge in a behaviour that is detrimental to healing and successful recovery.

It's like when a kid takes his hands off of the handlebars of his bike and hollers, "Hey guys - look at me." He's hoping that he is not go to hit a rock and face-plant in the street. He may return home and Mom will never know about it, or he may return home after an ambulance picks up his a** and his has his nose stiched back on.

That is flagrant abuse of the gift (his bicycle - our bariatric surgery) he's been given.

It breaks my heart that newer folks coming into our forum environment and get scared away from this bottomless well of wisdom when the tough love of veterans try to steer a stray calf back into the herd. If you newbies can bear with us until you get your first few months in, you will begin to understand where we are coming from. Be patient with the veterans and they will be patient with you.

Newbies, please stay with us and you will absorb awesome helpful knowledge by observing the give and take in the posts.

I got carried away here, but dag nabbit, the little whippersnappers around here need to come when Grandpa calls. :unsure:

Just an afterthought. "Hey guys - look at me!" would be great last words to engrave on some nim-nods tombstone.

@@Miss Mac Can I just say how much I love you? Your advice is always sound, well thought out and most importantly to the point.

I will be a self-pay and have no intention of wasting $15,000 on a drink of alcohol. My brother the alcoholic however would have cut himself open for a drink of alcohol. Most alcoholics justify their consumption in every way possible. Also from what I've read and been told, the affects of that bad choice might not be seen for weeks. So I hope no one experiences a leak and is hospitalized

Every one has there own opinion, and that's good. It was just one night that I went out and had drinks . I have no desire to do it again anytime soon. About the eating part. It was a bite not a full meal or a whole hot dog. I said I had some not sat and ate the whole pizza all the ice cream or a whole hot dog. One bite was enough and worked to take away the WANTING it. I guess I am just one of the few fortunate ones to not experience horrible side effects. My BMI. Before surgery was right at the go line. If I lost a couple more pounds before surgery I would have not Been able to proceed. I paid out of pocket. The whole thing . And have no regrets. I'm happy with my decisions and my life. Are you?

hey don't feel bad it is very hard to go cold turkey after years of enjoying something that was so comforting to us and that's why I put call the Bariatric police because some people are so fuckin judgemental like has anybody honestly been 100% perfect in their journey please tell me who have no shame in my game to hell with the rest of them ✌

hey don't feel bad it is very hard to go cold turkey after years of enjoying something that was so comforting to us

You posted about having some wine several weeks after your surgery. If you are having trouble going "cold turkey" with alcohol, then I would suggest getting some professional help.

Did you even READ some of the responses? It's not judgmental. It's sadness and concern for people who don't have enough damn self respect to adhere to doctors orders and do what you need to do to heal from the MAJOR SURGERY you had 7 weeks before.

Why don't you let your surgeon know that you had some alcohol, eh? See how "judgmental" he would be with you.

Sigh! If folks can't see the problem with downing multiple alcoholic beverages just 2 weeks after surgery then they will never see the light.

Our posts were not from a judgmental state it was more from a shock and concern state, maybe a bit of anger too. But hey it's your body, do you!

@@Slimsoon1988 is was closer to 4 weeks not 2 weeks. Anyhow yes it was and still is quite early. But thank god I'm fine and like I said before I have no desire to go that extreme anytime soon.

@ Lipstick Lady, I never ever do expect sympathy from people, I don't complain about stalls, and of course I'm not looking for anyone to congratulate or encourage me. I never expected to be condoned either but I am. So with this being said, I have everything I need, and I'm Happy in my own skin, and Im just sharing my experiences with other's. I know that there are people out there that wonder about certain things that's why we all joined this forum. I do gather a lot of knowledgeable information and never knock anyone down. If I read a post like I wrote I would probably respond by saying something like "Thank god you're okay and did not experience anything horrifying," Every"BODY" is different, what is good for you may not be good for me. Think about it. and goodluck on youre journey for I have been blessed a million times over with mine. 1 month post op and Im down 35 pounds. i feel and look amazing.