Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just in in the consultation stage, my 1st appointment is May 12th. I know I want the surgery as soon as possible. I am 219lbs now, my highest was 223. Should I try and start losing now or wait til my appointment. I don't want to lose and then go to the appointment and them say I need to lose more before surgery. If I lose too much will they cancel the surgery or think I don't need it? A friend told me to gain as much as possible before the consultation so that I can lose it when they ask. But not sure what the best is to do.

I don't mean to be rude or anything but i guess if i started at 219 I wouldn't of had surgery in the first place.....Its such a lifestyle change and a commitment to change that I just don't think I would of made that choice. I would of focused more on healthy eating and exercising. I don't regret my surgery but at the same time it definitely has given me the tools to understand if I would of really put my mind to it I probably could of did this on my own....

Good luck to you in making your choice. Its a life changer no matter what you choose.

Brittany

@bahuber5477I have comorbidities such as ahtritis in my back and knees, PCOS, pre-diabetes, infertility and GERD so after many years of medications, strict dieting under 800 calories a day and walking 2 miles a day + 45mins of cardio a day and just gaining and gaining my doctors agreed this would be the best option.

Hi Tiana, please don't listen to the above post. No one knows your situation except you! It's rude for people to try and tell you to do this on your own if you're seriously looking at surgery. I would recommend you wait to try and lose weight until after you see your surgeon and go from there.

@@RNYGal Thank you, I have really tried on my own. I need a fresh start and a new me and new lifestyle. :)

Ok, I am sorry I gave you the advice I did then. You didn't include any of that background. The only information that was listed above was that you were able to lose some weight on your own and was wondering about where to go from here...Good luck to you on your decision and your surgeon and bariatric nurses will guide you through the process and give you more information about what is expected and whats to come.

@@bahuber5477 Thanks sorry I should've included more I just am trying to get ahead with as much info as possible before I see the doctor.

This is a great place to come for information! Some of it just has to be taken with a grain of salt.

@@Tiana Harris

I like you am at the lower BMI range 38, please do not listen to that post. When I started my weight was 220, I'm 5'2" tall. I have severe sleep apnea, hyperlipidemia , pre diabetes, bad knees, hypothyroidism, hypertension, and live on a 800-1000 calories a day with no results. I am praying that having a Roux EnY will be my savior! I have tried weight loss after weight loss, and the result was always gaining back more. After a year of consultations, test, and trying the latest weight loss medication, my doctor and I finally agreed, it was time for more drastic measures. Personally I did not try to gain weight, because they will require a review of your medical records and you don't want to show a sudden jump. My surgeon has not required me to lose any weight, but before seeing him, my insurance required 6 consecutive months with a dietician. She made me keep a food journal and expected that I Would have substantial weight loss following her 1200 a day calorie diet, she was shocked to see I gained, so from then On I went back to my 800-1000 and stayed consistent the entire time. I will be beginning the pre op diet next week and am hoping I will lose some weight, but not too optimistic as the calorie intake is 800 a day.

@@TLW Thanks! I REALLY hope I don't have to do a 3 or 6 month dietician visits. I have been supervisied by 4 doctors since 2005 with no luck. I have tried every crazy diet and pill and medication and workout known to man. I did Insanity and T25 and lost it and the next week gained it right back. I even went vegetarian and no salt no carb no sugar and still gained. Its frustrating! Everyone says I carry my weight well and don't look over 200lbs but my knees and back beg to differ. I hope RNY is my savior too to somehow reset my body and life.

@@Tiana Harris. I too had several years documented, but because I had not had six consecutive check ins, they made me start over, I was pissed, we are talking a month and a half lapse. I have to admit it went by rather quickly, my longest weight has been waiting for my surgery day, May 28th to arrive. I was given my date back on April 8, this 7'week wait is driving me crazy. I wish you the best of luck and whatever you do, just stay focused on the goal you set for yourself.

@@TLW dang it I should've kept going every month haha yes the wait is already killing me and I don't even have a date lol. Just ready for a new me! I'm excited for you!

I can lose weight pretty well but always put it back on plus more.