Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mirena IUD - I think it may have stopped my loss?

Hi there,

I had the sleeve in 8/13 and lost an average of 10 pounds per month. After 9 months and nearly 100 pounds down, I had the Mirena (hormonal) IUD placed. My loss stopped immediately. I've had it in for a year now, and the loss stalled despite becoming a runner, sticking to the diet, etc.

All of the literature says that the IUD does not cause weight loss or gain, but some googling shows a lot of anecdotal evidence that it sure can. I'm trying to get info from other sleevers that may have had IUDs placed after surgery - how did it affect you?? I have one friend in this situation that continued to lose, but I'm just at a loss and honestly struggling with having the IUD in.

Please, I would appreciate any experiences or advice on this from people that have gone through this... if you don't want to post publicly, can you please message me? I'm considering having this removed. I have no idea if that will help or not and I'm just... just lost.

Edited by supbanana

Not personally but my daughter who is slim but fights a constant battle to stay that way (no surgery) found it made no difference at all to her. She monitored it because she thought it might.

I was sleeved 11/3/14 but I had my Mirena IUD already in place. However, it took my body a good six months to fully adjust to the IUD when I had it put in. This is not a hormone-free IUD so it could possibly interfere with weight but I wouldn't have it removed immediately unless you had severe problems. Give your body some time to adjust to it. I love my IUD! I haven't used a tampon in almost four years. It hasn't seemed to prevent me from losing but then again I'm only 6 months post-surgery.

I was sleeved 11/3/14 but I had my Mirena IUD already in place. However, it took my body a good six months to fully adjust to the IUD when I had it put in. This is not a hormone-free IUD so it could possibly interfere with weight but I wouldn't have it removed immediately unless you had severe problems. Give your body some time to adjust to it. I love my IUD! I haven't used a tampon in almost four years. It hasn't seemed to prevent me from losing but then again I'm only 6 months post-surgery.

Forgot to say that I've had it in for a year this month and the problems are getting worse (been developing UTIs, no sex drive... all stuff that isn't officially listed as a side effect, but that people list anecdotally as side effects). I adore the IUD for how effective it is, and for the light periods, but outside of that, I'm miserable and it seems to keep getting worse.

Thank you for your input, I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible before making a decision. :)

Edited by supbanana

Another concern is, at this point, I'm nearly two years out. I'm afraid that even if I do remove it, I missed my 'honeymoon' period to lose the weight. Still, I've picked up good habits. Not to say that I'm perfect, but there's no reason the loss should have just stopped cold like that. :/ Still, I don't want to go through the pain of having this removed if it's *not* the problem... but I'll never know if it is or not without removing it.

Like I said, I'm lost and very conflicted, heh.

Edited by supbanana

How many pounds are you from your goal weight?

How many pounds are you from your goal weight?

Starting weight: 370

Surgery weight: 288

Current weight: 210

Goal is in the 160-175 range, so somewhere between 35 and 50 more pounds to go.

I have the non-hormonal IUD as well, because I have so many issues with any hormone type birth controls. I'd recommend talking to your doc about non-hormonal types of birth control. My doc recommended para guard for me because there are no hormones. I get the same results without the mess I got with hormones. It did take a few months to adjust.

I had my IUD (Mirena) placed prior to my sleeve, but I did notice the increased weight gain like so many others. Almost to the point where I contemplated having it taken out.

I had mine done 2 years before my surgery and haven't had a problem yet! :/

I had my IUD (Mirena) placed prior to my sleeve, but I did notice the increased weight gain like so many others. Almost to the point where I contemplated having it taken out.

I had it done one year prior and thought the same thing they took it out and I kept gaining weight with out it so I put it back in because I don't want any more babies and I'm bad at remember taking pills

I had mine put in place several months before surgery. It took my body about 4 months to adjust to the IUD and then I had no period for 8 months. Suddenly, my weight loss stalled (85 lbs. lost and the scale is NOT MOVING) and then wham! I get a period. Crazy. I hadn't thought the two were connected until I saw your post. Now I'm thinking about it . . . . I'd be curious what your doc says and I intend to follow up with mine!

Update: I gained 20 more pounds within three months of posting this. I panicked and had IUD removed. The ravenous hunger disappeared, weight is slowly coming off again, but this whole thing has been a nightmare.

Some women can't tolerate it. I have had my Mirena for 3 years and haven't had an issue since the first 4 months passed. My best friend had it for a year and couldn't wait to rip it out.