Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I already know the answer to my question but would like to know if anyone else has had to deal with existing scar tissue from previous surgeries.

I have a lot of abdominal scar tissue from two surgeries. I suspect that bypass may be the only option I will have since Medicare only covers open surgery for that one type of surgery. Has anyone dealt with this problem?

Louise

@@LousPeachy yep. I warned my surgeon, and he laughed it off. He said it would only add 5 minutes to the surgery. That is something they are used to dealing with. And I have had a previous mass removal where I was gutted from above my belly button all the way down, as well as my radical hysterectomy, and several laparoscopies before the hyster. Don't sweat the scar tissue, or adhesions. They just cut them down.

I second what she said... and also ANY surgery can be done open... there just isn't a need to! The sleeve, bypass, band, DS etc could all be "open" but that is so much harder on the patient!

My abdomen already looks like I was attacked by a knife wielding serial killer! Both my previous surgeries started out as routine but ended up a lot more difficult than expected.

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much but is nice to hear from someone who has been there.

Louise

Your surgeon should be used to it. I had 3 previous abdominal surgeries before my sleeve surgery. I warned my surgeon too and he kind of blew it off when I had my pre-op consult. However, my surgery was scheduled to be done in 90 minutes and ended up taking over 3.5 hours. My husband was really worried while he was waiting for me to get out even though I tried warning him before I went in. I got the last laugh when I woke up and found out how long I was really in surgery for. Lol, maybe they will start listening to their patients. The only effect my scar tissue had on my surgery was making it take longer. Please don't worry about more than you need to and it will all end up as it should be in the end. Good luck and we will make some room on the loser's bench for you.

Forgot to mention that TX Medicare only covers open surgery for a Gastric Bypass.

8 abdominal surgeries prior to the sleeve was not even slightly daunting for my surgeon, however, he DID have to make 5 incisions to do it. Also, he couldn't use the belly button - too many others had been there before (4 surgeries through there already). But, no worries, he's a pro! And so is yours, I'd bet!

I feel sorry for the coroner who deals with me down the line...he/she will have some questions, I'm sure!!!

@@CanyonBaby couldn't use my belly button either. too many laparoscopies (sp) He did it an inch above the belly button. I begged him to not use my belly button.

@@wannaBthinsoon

The scar closest to my belly button was about an inch to the left of it. Then the one to the right was about 3 inches. Then the 2 upper ones, and the exit wound (where the stomach was removed) is in the typical area, on the left, and it is the largest of the 5, at about an inch long. One of the tops scars is just above where the gallbladder was removed (also laproscopically removed). All are healing really well, and are happy to be with "the rest of the group"!!!! I'm thinking of naming them!!!!

@@CanyonBaby couldn't use my belly button either. too many laparoscopies (sp) He did it an inch above the belly button. I begged him to not use my belly button.

My belly button was a normal "inny" till after the last surgery. On top of having no feeling in part of my abdomen (cut nerves), my belly button is now so deep, who knows what is hidden in there! ;-)

@@LousPeachy

From the sounds coming from within, whoever they are must be having quite a party! Not sure I want to know what's going on in there.........................

I had a lot of fun with the wound on my neck from my parathryroid surgery. It was 2 days before Halloween, and it looked like someone had slashed my throat! Man, did I get the looks!

if you are having gastric bypass the scar tissue and adhesions can be a problem. I ended up with a lapband because there wasn't enough free small intestine to pull up. I too was in surgery a long time while my doctor tried.

Interesting question. I'm still pre-op, but having been an Ovarian Cancer survivor, I had multiple abdominal surgeries. Not only did they throw away my belly button, the did a bowel re-section too. Now I'm wondering if that means that I have no choice but the sleeve?