Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

this hair loss is depressing!

. My hair is super thin and fine to begin with. How long til it stops coming out in handfuls??? Please tell me it doesn't last more than a month or so

My drastic Hair loss lasted about a month and a half. But it's different for everyone. Are you getting all your Protein and Vitamins in? That should help reduce it somewhat.

I have hair loss that I can notice, but not anyone else. Mine started coming out more around month 4. After I would comb thru it from getting out of the shower I will take my hands and run them down my hair and strands will come out very easily. I have shoulder length hair. I can feel a difference when I put my hair up in a ponytail, but you cannot notice any Hair loss when looking at my hair. Thank God!!

I never took any extra stuff for it, but I do get all my Vitamins and Protein in and have since day one.

For me the most annoying part is cleaning it up in the bathroom, it's everywhere!!! And because it's long its more aggravating!! It seems to be slowing down a bit so I am hoping now that I am 6 months out it will stop soon!!

Only being 3 mo's out, mine is just starting to come out. I've always had long, really thick hair. So after washing it and brushing it, I've always had a large amount of hair come out, but now I'm worse than my shedding dog! :) My husband got in the shower after I got out the other day, before I had a chance to remove the animal I left behind. He asked if I had anything left on my head! I agree, I notice it but no one does til they walk into my bathroom. Brush cleaning is an every day occurrence right now.

I am 5 months out and started "shedding" at about 3 months. It has reduced greatly in the last couple of weeks, BUT I cannot say WHY. That's because my thyroid medicine was not accurately dosed for me, and I noticed when I started on the correct dose, after a couple of weeks, the hair loss slowed way down. I have had major Hair loss in the past from my thyroid issue, and whenever the meds aren't right, I lose again. So it is hard for me to say which was the cause.

I, too, have been on the right Vitamins and correct Protein, so I can't use that as a reason for the loss. So I would suggest if you THINK your thyroid might be not functioning up to par, get it checked. Other symptoms of a low thyroid are loss of energy, feeling cold, kinda the same things as you feel AFTER WLS!!! SO if in doubt...get it checked!

@@CanyonBaby The vast majority of WLS patients lose some hair between months three and six at least. I wouldn't worry about other potential causes of Hair loss until past that six month mark if you are continuing to lose it at an alarming rate.

I'm in the same boat. I'm losing it just above my temples. And I'm at a stall too boot. I'm bummed right now

I started around 3 months, getting worse now nearing 4 mths. Get my Vitamins, Protein & Water in. Just think the op is a shock to the body plus we cannot get the nutrients required for a while so the effects of that kick in. hair follicles go through different Hair growth cycles, not all growing at same time, so it will come back and thicken eventually...i hope hehe

I asked my nutriologist about this, she said it happens when you have a bad nutrition... it's all about what you eat... most surgens don't send you to a nutriologist, but i chose to go to one because they are the experts in nutrition.

I asked my nutriologist about this, she said it happens when you have a bad nutrition... it's all about what you eat... most surgens don't send you to a nutriologist, but i chose to go to one because they are the experts in nutrition.

This is absolutely, positively INCORRECT.

hair loss is the luck of the draw. Some get a little, some (very few) get none, but most get it. I've seen people getting 100 grams of Protein, take hand fulls of Vitamins a day, use Biotin shampoos and Vitamins, and still experience Hair loss. Unfortunately it's just one of the side effects of the surgery. You can't tell me 99% of the people that lose their hair are ALL getting poor nutrition? Bull hockey.

I started with hair that was thin, and I lost lots of it for about 8 months. I had a lot of weight to lose and had to eat 800 calories a day for over a year to do it, so I know that contributed. I got all my Protein and Vitamins every single day, and did everything right. It was visibly thin all over. After about 18 months it started growing back, and at 2.5 years, it continues to improve. You can't see my scalp anymore except for at the part. I think I had a worse case scenario, and even my hair grew back!

I am lucky to have extremely thick curly hair and I lost it by the buckets. I won't say my nutrition was spot on because I didn't get my protein/calories in by even half my first 6 months, but I've lost hair every time I've lost a significant amount of weight.

My doctor advised me that rapid weight loss will cause Hair loss and nail breakage due to lack of fats,vitamin B deficiency and various other factors.

Hair will grow back, hopefully, the fat will not.

@babbs. I agree that all Hair loss is not related to nutrition. I feel like it is the luck of the draw for some people.

I have always gotten my Protein in and most days exceed my goal. I meet my fluid goals, take Vitamins, Biotin, and all my bloodwork has been perfect since surgery. My hair has fallen out by the bucketfuls. Thank goodness I started with really thick hair. I have friends who had surgery within two weeks of mine and one of them never takes her vitamins, eats like crap and her hair is great.

I even juice raw greens and veggies. I do green smoothies a few times a week. I may not be perfect but I eat very healthy.

However, I started taking liquid silicia that I brought on Amazon. I add it to my Water every day. It is tasteless. I was reading that silicia is a mineral that can help skin, hair, and nails. I have been taking it for about three weeks and finally my hair loss is slowing way down. It no longer looks like a dead animal in my shower drain after I wash my hair. Also, I haven't had to clean out my hair brush in over a week. It could be a coincidence, but I am going to keep taking it. I would rather have my thin hair and feel great, than feel like I did before surgery!!

My surgeon told me the extreme hair loss was due to my rapid weight loss. I lost about 32 lbs. the first two weeks following surgery, mainly due to the complications I had starting 6 days after surgery. He told me to keep up with my Protein, Vitamins, and Biotin which I do. Fortunately, I started with a lot of hair, thick and healthy, and about shoulder length.

My Hair loss story: I started shedding more hair than usual about 2 mos. post-surgery. Then my hair started coming out in clumps (Yikes!!!) about week 13. Depending on how you track "months out since surgery," I'm at the 6th month mark. The clump loss lasted about 4 weeks. I started seeing noticeable regrowth in the 5th month. I knew the hair loss would happen, and was continually reassured by my surgeon and folks on BP that IT DOES GROW BACK :) Just don't freak out when/if it starts coming out in clumps; I wasn't expecting that to happen. Currently, my hair loss seems to have returned to pre-surgery amounts; nothing concerning.

My hair loss was all over my head, especially just above the temples and at the crown in back, so most folks have not noticed the hair loss like I, my husband, and my hairdresser have.

This is absolutely, positively INCORRECT.

hair loss is the luck of the draw. Some get a little, some (very few) get none, but most get it. I've seen people getting 100 grams of Protein, take hand fulls of Vitamins a day, use Biotin shampoos and Vitamins, and still experience Hair loss. Unfortunately it's just one of the side effects of the surgery. You can't tell me 99% of the people that lose their hair are ALL getting poor nutrition? Bull hockey.

I haven't experienced it for myself since i haven't been operated yet. This is one of the things that scares me the most and that's why i asked her about this. Right now I'll do anything to prevent that.