Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question, but what's wrong with eating bread or having potatoes? My NUT never talked to us about carbs, except sugar in things like sweets. Can eating bread really cause problems with weight loss? And aren't potatoes a vegetable, which is good for you? I do know that right now bread makes me feel terrible, like my stomach is full of concrete, but I thought I may be able to have it someday.

Part of the reason I chose surgery is that I don't want to spend the rest of my life counting every bite I take. Now I'm just really confused about what is ok to eat and isn't.

I don't know the issue after your sleeve procedure but potatoes and bread turn to sugar after they are ingested. Potatoes are a vegetable but should be eaten sparingly. I'm tryin not to eat bread at all for a while. Also I've heard bread was hard to digest after the procedure. I am not due to have the surgery until May 20 so I may be wrong but that's what I think.

bread and potatoes are complex carbohydrates with a high glycemic index...aka they turn to sugar quickly after eating them.

My instructions for no bread, rice, tortillas, crackers, pancakes etc for 6 months is because they can cause a "gummy ball" in your stomach. Basically an obstruction. I code for my Bariatric group and don't want additional surgery or hospital visits since I see it all the time. Of course it's not always the patients fault . Potatoes aren't on the list. But they want us having Protein first,veggies, fruit, then carbs. I'm still in 3 oz servings 3x a day. It's so crazy how different surgeons instructions are across the world. And since my group does speaking engagements in technique, etc. across the globe, I use all of my guidelines. I've also asked a lot of questions. They don't want us drinking protein shakes/powders either.

And it's not a dumb question. ????

I love bread and potatoes. I have found that both of them tend to sit at the opening of my stomach and take a long time to go down. So I've had no choice but to eat just a little of each because there will be no room for anything else otherwise.

Other than the fullness factor they have caused no problems.

I used to love bread and potatoes! (Actually, any carb - Pasta, chips, pretzels, etc - you name a carb, I was all over it)

Here's what I have found since surgery - the complex carbs (I call them "bad" carbs), don't make me feel great. "Good carbs" do not have the same affect. I will have a couple of bites of a good crusty bread, but that's it - I know if I have more than that, my tummy is going to let me hear about it. I still get enjoyment out of it. Potatoes don't do it for me any more. I am very picky about what I put in my mouth - if it doesn't taste wonderful, I'm not going to waste the few bites I get on crappy tasting food.

I will occasionally eat the "sandwich thin" but I'll toast it. I have 1 cup of Pasta every other week which suits my cravings. I'm 3 months out and haven't been to a restaurant yet- I don't want to take the chance on regular bread. I'll also use a low carb pita as a Pizza Crust to make pizza on

Early on they can be harder to digest and take up precious "room" that needs to be reserved for higher Protein foods. That said, I DO eat both, just in very small quantities. Where possible, I choose a protein supplemented bread product like P28 or a high protein Pasta. Take off half the bun on a Jr burger, etc. For most sandwiches I'm just as happy with an "unwich", (meat and cheese wrapped in a lettuce leaf.

Basically, for "optimum" weight loss, we should try to get all of our carbs from green veggies, Beans, dairy, and limited fruit (no fruit juices). The next level of rigor would include whole-grain carbs like quinoa, barley, bulgher, oats, brown rice, whole wheat Pasta, and maybe the occasional sweet potato or slice of "100% whole grain" bread (not "wheat bread") The white stuff should be avoided at all costs! That is: white rice, Pasta, bread, potatoes, and corn. And refined sugar. Run far and run fast away from it! Bottom line? The higher your degree of rigor, the more quickly you'll probably lose weight. Here's a primer I ran across today that explains carbs in detail. All 5 articles are short but informative. Hope that helps!

Breads with leavening agents (yeast, baking powder, baking soda) re-rise in your warm stomach filling it up.