Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged, not losing!

I stalled in weeks 5-8 and did not lose a pound but I am moving again. Just stick with it, you are doing fine.

You may have lost it faster in the past but I'm guessing like most here you couldn't keep it off. Definitely true for me.

That is the wonder of WLS for me. I have confidence that each pound I lose will get me to my goal. And that this is weight I can keep off. I now have a real tool that helps me make better choices. The work will be mine to do but for the first time in my life getting down and staying down seems doable.

The slower loses and stalls allow my body to rest and catch up. Not a one have I had where being patient and persist wasn't the key. And sure enough the scale starts to lower again. It will for you, too.

@@for_me I usually don't even say anything when I read posts like yours ~8:36 AM. But your reply to someone (lipstick lady) who was kind enough to encourage you was totally uncalled for and rude.

If you ask a question and someone is trying to tell you you're doing well, don't jump in their @$$!! Take it to another board. Most of us don't tolerate that here.. YOU are the one being snarky. Get a grip.

I'm glad I found this thread. I went to my post op appointment and lost 12lbs in one month. I wasn't too excited, but any loss is good. The doctor says that it's great, too much too soon for my body type isn't good. I also have a large muscular build, also the reason I see more inches lost than pounds. The Doc also recommend that I do 40g carbs, 15g sugar or less and keep calories to 1000 per day so that has helped me lose an additional 4lbs this past week. I still want like 30lbs off per month! Lol. Which for my body isn't realistic.

Edited by BeautifullyCreated1982

The calorie math doesn't always add up in the short run. I know it's hard not to, but try not to focus so much an immediate result. Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason as to why we lose for periods, and other times not so much. Your body can only lose so fast. When you've had a big drop like that, it's unrealistic to expect a continued, steady, rapid loss. It's much more likely to get what you have. What you'll find is that it's the long haul that makes the difference. Time passes either way, so just keep doing what you are doing, and in 6 months you'll be down another 50-60 pounds - which would put you pretty close to goal!

I still want like 30lbs off per month! Lol. Which for my body isn't realistic.

I've got news for you...it's not realistic for ANY body.

I still want like 30lbs off per month! Lol. Which for my body isn't realistic.

I've got news for you...it's not realistic for ANY body.

I wish I could grow wings and fly.

I understand that the 20 lb in 2 weeks is not what will continue to happen. I am familiar with Water weight and glycogen storage.

Mathematically speaking, considering I barely net any calories a day after exercise. I should be close to a half a lb a day loss. It's frustrating, because it just doesn't make any sense.

Fyi, there is no way possible for me to increase calorie intake.

Hang in there. I'm 3 mo's out and am averaging 1-2 lbs a week. It's not what I started at, but while it's only a pound, Celebrate it! I also see inches coming off, while I'm not seeing the wt come off. People are noticing the loss...each week I'm able to wear old clothes from years ago, the I couldn't get into the week before. I try to push more fluids and Protein but I also try to add a carb or two that I normally wouldn't. Surprisingly it seems to help some. I think our bodies get into ruts and like to do what's comfortable for them. :) Good luck...you'll get there! I feel your frustration!

I didn't lose a pound in 22 days during my first stall.. you've lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks.. that isn't a stall.. that's average weight loss.. I was told to expect 8-10 pounds a month, so you are doing great! Just keep it up..

I understand that the 20 lb in 2 weeks is not what will continue to happen. I am familiar with Water weight and glycogen storage.

Mathematically speaking, considering I barely net any calories a day after exercise. I should be close to a half a lb a day loss. It's frustrating, because it just doesn't make any sense.

Fyi, there is no way possible for me to increase calorie intake.

How much are you intaking? My Nut told me I needed 800-1000 at my 4 week appt.. I thought it was impossible too. I was also netting a negative caloric intake..

@for_me. I can really relate to your feelings of frustration and disappointment in your rate of weight loss. I posted a very similar post a month or two after my surgery. I got the same responses that you are getting and at first did not feel comforted. Then I looked around at other people's posts and found that my experience was pretty darn normal. Now, almost exactly one year from my surgery, I am below goal and healthier than I was when I was 20 years younger. Please try to take this one day at a time and a year from now, if you stay on plan, you will be able to look back at your old frustration and chuckle.

for_me, You’re at the point in the WLS journey that can be one of the hardest for many of us. You’re over the initial excitement of preparation and surgery, and you’ve gone through the super-quick magical weight loss stage where the pounds melted away like a dream. Now it’s time for the long haul where you fight for each pound.

And you are fighting. You have to remember that any loss is good, and 6-7 pounds in 5 weeks is great. At that rate, you’d lose 70 lbs in a year – add that to the initial 20 lbs you lost, and you’d be at 90 lbs – not bad, and almost at goal weight! When you think about how long you’ve struggled with obesity and then think you could hit goal within a year, how can you be disappointed?

Just keep doing what you’re doing and what you know is right. You’re losing weight. And, as the others have said, you’re probably in a stall and will start to lose weight even faster.

I COMPLETELY get your frustration, BUT the experienced folk here are right.

I have had what I think is slow weight loss, and I never had the initial dump of weight immediately post op or with the pre-op diet. I have lost a pretty steady 1-2 lbs per week since the get-go (with a stall of 2 weeks as well). And this is with carefully tracking of intake and exercise. I was terrified to fail at this again (as I am a revision from band to sleeve). That fear fueled my anxiety and frustration, but never helped with weight loss.

I was told by someone on here, in no uncertain terms, to congratulate myself on my success (YES, SUCCESS!) thus far and keep up the work, and it will all even out in the end (and basically, to adjust my attitude ;)) It was a hard pill to swallow, particularly since I was expecting more weekly loss, and never experienced that dramatic loss initially.

But, I have accepted what IS. I'm still better off than I was in mid February before my surgery (at 30 lbs down), I feel better, and I think I look better, and that is keeping me motivated.

The absolute worse thing you can do for your motivation and emotional state is to wonder why your path isn't like someone else's. THAT is a recipe for anxiety.

I know I'm early in my journey, and believe me, have shed tears and had fits about what I thought should be, but isn't.

But I have come to accept that all lost lbs/inches contribute to my health and are SUCCESSES.

Please save yourself the stress and go with the flow. The fact that you are being diligent and following the rules are only going to work in your favor over the long term.

We are always here for you, to cheer you on, and Celebrate with you.