Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Hope Sleeve Leak 8 mos post op

Hi. I am sorry to hear how rough a time you have had. I documented my horrific ordeal post surgery here as well and the amazing support I recd here kept me going and got me through it. Your ordeal seems even worse than mine. Mine lasted 3 months or so, worst he'll of my life. I also contemplated suicide but would never do it. Just wanted the misery to end. I felt on the verge of death medically many times. I had the picc lines as well and the feeding tube a couple of times. The feeding tube while uncomfortable, mine was thru the nose, did help me. Just 13 weeks ago I thought all hope was still lost after doing better and having to go back in to get a feeding tube again and discuss converting to a bypass as my issue was my new stomach just didn't start back up properly after surgery. And just when I had given up hope that I would never be better, and feared what would happen after they took the tube out again, things got better. They did a procedure to my pylori valve that was supposed to last 2 months (botox) so feared what would happen when that work off. Well I assume it wore off a while ago and I am still doing well. My advice is to hang in there, get the medical attention you need, even if that means switching medical teams, and pray that all will be better soon. Have to have faith. It's a living nightmare I know as I lived it too, but this too shall pass. Use this group here for as much support as you need. We are here for you. Also like others said, seek out whatever aide for financial or government you can get to help get you through the rough patch. I also had family that was close and never visited me in my 5 hospital stays. My relationship with them has changed. I don't need negative in my life anymore. And it's a waste of my time and energy to focus on it. So chin up, you have our support and prayers and this too shall pass and you can get on with your life and a healthier you. Like your husband, my wife really was there when I needed her most so that's a blessing too. Be well, and keep us updated.

I hope you are felling better. My daughter had similar complications. After being hospitalized so many times and a stent being place she still faces many complications today. Her primary physician ordered us to get her to Scripps Medical Center in California to have it removed immediately. In fact when she first got to Scripps she was so weak they could not remove it right then and she was in the hospital for a week with a feeding tube placed in her for nutrition. We were told to return back to California in two weeks when she was strong enough to withstand the anesthesia. She still faces many complications and was granted Social Security disability 2 years ago. She had her surgery July of 2010 at the age of 19. Today she is 25 and sufferers severe depression. Before she had the surgery she was going to school and only had one month to go to get her cosmetology license. Needless to say after the procedure she never was able to finish that last month. I watch her vomit everyday and sometimes it's blood that she vomits. Her diarrhea still remains, especially since she had to have her gallbladder removed 2 months after the surgery. There were many things that were not told to us before the procedure such as her not being a candidate for the procedure because of a surgery that she had as an infant for gastric reflux better known as GERD. As far as a malpractice lawsuit good luck if you choose to proceed on with that. We lost that battle after trying that. We learned real fast that doctors will switch up their stories when it comes time to testifying against each other. In fact the physicians discharged my daughter as a patient when they found out we filed a lawsuit in our home state while we were traveling back to California due to more complications from the surgery. Their excuse was conflict of interest. I am surprised that as many people that have had complications with this procedure and the severities, that there has not been a class action suit filed against this procedure.

@@true2jeanna The percentages when it comes to complications are VERY low . While they do happen and can be quite tragic, there would be no grounds for a class action suit here. Who would be the defendant? There is no single company or even handful of companies that are selling a defective "product". There are individual doctors performing individual surgeries using a variety of devices and tools. There's no specific medication or implant or anything that is unique to gastric sleeve. It would be like trying to sue the entire medical industry over complications from gall bladder or appendix removal.

I am so sorry for you and your daughter and all of the hardships you've had to endure. It is certainly unfortunate that the surgeon in question seems to be untouchable, especially if there truly was some wrongdoing.

@@losinghope15

I'm sorry your extended family hasn't been around for you. Have you asked them for help? I know some families figure if you need help, you'll ask.

Have you reached out to the social service agencies that others have mentioned? In my area, churches give out boxes of food once per month (all different days). You don't have to provide proof of income or anything other than proof of residence, but your area may be different.

I don't think I read how old your children are; if they are school age make sure you check on free/reduced price Breakfast and lunch at school. A lot of places have free lunch over the summer so the kids don't go hungry.

I pray that you and your family make it through this tough time. I did not have a leak, however my stomach stopped working all together after my sleeve. As a result I could not digest food, therefore I would vomit everything. This occurred 3 months after my surgery. I ended up with a Tpn line because I had become malnourished and had a home nurse who came daily. I also stayed 30 days in the hospital. I was depressed and stressed as I am a single mom of three. I told everyone I knew, don't do it!!! But now 2 years later this was the best decision I've ever made in my life. Trust me things will get better. If you ever need someone to talk to I am here! I was very sad during this process. In the meantime, check out some work from home companies customer service etc. And try to get gov. Assistance or unemployment if you havent. I wish you the best and pray that things work for you as they did for me .

I just got sleeved oct 6th and I feel so bad for you. Im sorry to hear what you are having to go through. Prayers to you and your family. My recovery is going well but I seem to have drank too much broth the other day and Im still feeling full almost two days later. Like uncomfortably full. I havent had any liquids or anything sine Sat afternoon. Im kinda scared other than this everything seems to be ok. I want to vomitbut I cant. Not sure what to do?

I just got sleeved oct 6th and I feel so bad for you. Im sorry to hear what you are having to go through. Prayers to you and your family. My recovery is going well but I seem to have drank too much broth the other day and Im still feeling full almost two days later. Like uncomfortably full. I havent had any liquids or anything sine Sat afternoon. Im kinda scared other than this everything seems to be ok. I want to vomitbut I cant. Not sure what to do?

@@Tryingtogetmylifeback,

Call your surgeon. You don't need to go this long without hydration. This is extremely dangerous. You may need to go to the ER but certainly call your doctor right away. I know mine gave me a number to call for complications and emergencies. Not being able to drink for two days is an emergency.

Going to see the surgeon today. Asking myself why I did this to myself. Please someone pray for me. I am a single mother and I cant afford to have any major issues pop up. Im believing GOD for a full and speedy recovery.

Hoping you are better. However please do not go without food because you cannot afford it. Apply for EVERYTHING. TANF, SNAP, short term disability, everything! Going without meals is not good for growing brains or healing bodies. Speak to hospital social workers and ask for referrals to food cupboards. Apply for utility assistance such as LIHEAP, check out your local Community legal aide about bill consolidation for any credit cards. Taking advantage of these things will help keep you financially afloat while you get your health straightened out.

Hey everybody just lgot back on today and you all were right. My surgeon said I was fine and not yo worry. I blacked out the next day and had to be taken to the Hospital via ambulance for dehydration and lack of food. Im still struggling with this 64oz of Water deal. I have never been a big drinker so I either get the water or I get food. Im doing my best to balance it out. Its just hard to eat and drink when you feel full all the time

Hey, I would love to hear your outcome. I am currently dealing with a leak. I caught it a few days after my surgery. I was on antibiotics and a PICC line for 2 weeks at Evergreen hospital and I had 2 drains placed as well. I was transferred to Virginia Mason in Seattle for stent placement but they decided to put two pigtail drains and Botox in my sphincter. 3 weeks later I am still waiting for the hole/leak to heal. I feel like it's never going to end and its extremely frustrating. I also lost my job over this, they notified me last week. I wish you the best and I would love to hear your outcome!