Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op can't do all liquid diet. Anyone else do okay on soft foods?

When I post on here, or any other site, I try t put things as the bible states " do unto others as you would HAVE them do unto you". What I mean is I wouldn't want someone to give me bad or unresearched advice, I would want them to give me the very best they could, with my WELL-BEING in mind. I guess that's why I went to a SURGEON for this surgery, trusting that his surgical team would also ensure I have the BEST program in place for me. If I follow it, I can rest assured that I will more than likely succeed FOREVER by following it.

On the same note, if I, personally, give out bad or unresearched advice, I could POTENTIALLY albeit INADVERTANTLY cause harm to someone. No, I can't/won't do it. First, I don't want to harm them. Second, I couldn't live with myself. Third, I don't want the LIABILITY of such action. No thanks. I "do as I'm told" by my surgical team. I paid them for this, because I was not able to do this on my own. NOW all of a sudden I CAN? HA HA HA HA HA!

Oh and I might add I didn't do the pre op diet liquid diet. I did just find and still lost 10 pounds.

I have heard of some people not having to do the pre-op liquid diet. It is primarily to shrink the liver, and some (especially lower BMI) don't have a fatty liver. I think the majority are required to do some form of pre-op liquid diet or a pre-op diet, to lose a certain amount of weight though. Your surgeon was probably pleased with the 10 lb loss.

@CanyonBaby This is my way of thinking also..." I 'do as I'm told' by my surgical team. I paid them for this, because I was not able to do this on my own." This is why I choose to follow my guidelines. It is definitely a choice though, and OP says she chooses not to. Not much others can do to change that it seems.

Edited by liannatx

Hey nugirl402.....remember the tortoise and the hare????. Please don't let your confidence and comfort get in the way. I'm back and 50lbs up. Didn't follow the guidelines and being realistic that there are reasons why I ended up back up????????????. Either way...glad you are here and for this forum!!!

I'm a believer in the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"...

"Can't tolerate" means you can't keep something down, not you don't like it/it's gross/whatever.

You can tolerate the liquids. Try some other brands of Protein drinks, there are dozens of threads on suggestions.

Don't move ahead on your diet because you don't like something. You are stronger than than. You've got this, give yourself the best possible chance for success.

I ate a few purées at a week out, and cream soups! I know how you feel about not being able to tolerate liquids! It was awful, but important to us all! I realize that each person is different but we all had our tummies cut off... So just remember we are still healing! That first week I was still medicated and probably consumed more "soft food" than I did in my third week! I think when your fogginess wears off and you get back to your normal routine of things you will see the benefits of sticking to the plan, or at least close to it anyway!! Lol! ???? were all human!

Try other Protein Shake options. There are literally HUNDREDS available. You can even use unflavored Protein powder and make your own flavors with sugar-free syrups and flavorings. I wasn't allowed any solid foods until 40 days post-op. The idea of eating bacon at 5 days is completely terrifying to me. You didn't have any ill consequences, thank God, but why would you continue to press your luck? Even if you feel you absolutely MUST move beyond liquids (which I don't buy), why not go for soft foods and purees. Why would you immediately jump to not only solid foods, but one of the more challenging solid foods, pork? I don't get it. Why have the surgery in the first place?

My only insight is this. If you aren't going to listen to the doctor/surgeon then why go to one? It's like when people go to the doctor they are given antibiotics and after 3 days they feel better so they stop taking the meds to save for later, only they don't realize that the infection is still not completely cured. Doctors give you instructions for a reason. Like I said I don't understand why go to a doctor if you don't trust them to know what's best for you under their care. Sorry had to rant alittle

Also you say you don't want to be miserable the "whole time". No one is asking you to be miserable the whole time, LOL. Maybe for a few weeks of liquids and even then it's only really when you are drinking them right?

You can do that. Anyone can be miserable for a short period of time for long term gain right? 15 mins a couple times a day for a couple of weeks? You've got this!

The human body is incredibly resilient and adaptive. Like others have said. there are many other brands of Protein Shakes to try. I too found Premier Protein to be gross. Part of this process is to change eating habits. I would recommend speaking with your nutritionist for other alternatives to use during the full liquid stage. No, it's not fun, but it's just a temporary phase to help with the healing of your tummy. There will always be people who went AMA and were "just fine". My other concern is that the bacon and egg you had only contains approximately half the Protein you would get in a Protein shake. 1 strip of bacon is about 6 gms and 1 large egg is 6 as well. You need protein to heal.

Take it or leave it here are two points.

1) The reason that EVERY doctor you know the ones that went to med school and specialized in this area provide guidance for a diet is to help you sleeve heal! Did you know that bread, meat can and do get caught in the healing staples of your new stomach and can cause ulcerations? It isn't about oh, I didn't get sick or throw up and mmmm, that sure tasted good. It can be days or weeks that pass as a fistula forms or a staple begins a leak. But let's toss aside science for a minute. How did you get over weight in the first place? Did you follow the rules of a healthy lifestyle? Likley not. Know that WLS is NOT a miracle cure for your weight. If you are already going to fall on old habits then you may just be setting yourself up for failure in the future. I suggest calling your NUT or doctor if you are as confident as you feel and telling them what you are doing and asking them for their opinion.

2) I alluded to this in the first point. WLS isn't magic. You have to work just as hard to keep the weight off once you hit goal. It is a tool and if you aren't already willing to follow basic rules for your HEALING process. What makes you think you won't skirt the rules all throughout?

You have been given very sound advice by many long time WLS experience people. You said it all happened so fast you didn't think about it. I'm sorry but if you put yourself through a MAJOR life changing surgery and didn't think it through that is a real issue. Time to do some soul searching on why you did this in the first place.

Good luck and seriously you do need to tell your doc or NUT at your follow-up I'd hate for them to be set up for a malpractice suit because you were non-compliant.

When healing it is important to think long and hard about what you eat. O full liquids, greek yogurt is included so that is fine. Once you get past that, things get a little dicey.

You will find that surgeons do the post op eating plans a little different because there is no proven "right" way to do it.

That being said there are a few things that are constant MOST of the time- the first week after surgery usually ranges between liquids and a very soft consistency (like a scrambled egg) depending on the surgeon. Progress from one stage to another is slow and as tolerated with the understanding that we all heal at different rates. I have not heard of one plan that allows bacon in the first week!

I would highly recommend talking with the nutritionist and the surgeon. I would also highly recommend not eating bacon so soon post-op. It is an unnecessary risk.

Hey! Had surgery On 4/28 with no real issues. Have the premier shakes and they are too strong and taste gross. Trying to do at least 1 a day but have been leaning to Greek yogurt. Took my time, no problems. This morning had 1 scrambled egg and a piece of well chewed bacon. Took 15 minutes to eat it. Feel so much better that I'm eating real food. Anyone else not tolerate the liquid stage? I wanna be successful but can't be miserable the whole time.

You CAN, you are just choosing not to. I hope your choices don't lead to complications.

Eating what you wanted when you wanted got you into this place of needing WLS. No reason to believe that eating what you want when you want will find you equally as successful in losing it, right? ;)

See my profile pic? It says "In order to change, you must be willing to be uncomfortable"

I see a lot of people on here who don't want to be uncomfortable.

IE "Shakes are YUCKY!"

Boo hoo.

How are you doing now? Any better? I'm sure negative comments aren't what you wanted to see from this post, but instead encouragement right?

So I'll give you some... You got this! It is so hard! But take it one day at a time! Just think about how good you will feel in a few months!!!! I promise you will! Good luck!