Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking and eating at same time- Do you wait 30 minutes?

At this stage - only a little over a week post op I'm only on liquids but I'm curious. Does your MD also recommend 30 minutes before and after food before you can have liquids?

To my knowledge, everyone's doctor told them to wait 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after eating before you drink anything. This is designed to ensure the liquid you are drinking does not wash the food through your stomach quickly, which would then allow you to eat more. Eating and drinking at the same time won't hurt you as long as you are paying attention to how much you're eating. If you just happily much away while sipping Fluid, you'll certainly consume more and your sleeve will be less effective.

As a note, that is one of the rules I never followed. I don't do dry mouth and eating. My opinion is that life is to be enjoyed and if I have to sit through every meal with a dry mouth for the rest of my life, there is no fun in that. I am very cognizant of how much I eat and I drink with every meal. I have not had the experience where I eat too much because I happen to drink at the same time and I am way happier eating my few bites of food when I can drink at the same time.

My NUT said that this really only applies to Gastric Bypass. Sleevers still have a pyloric valve which regulates the emptying of the stomach -- we don't wash stomach contents through the "funnel" as those without a pyloric valve will.

Hi LynneAnne (and Geaux Tigers!) ...

It is universal that every doc and all literature says to wait 30 mins before drinking after eating.

There is a great YouTube video where the guy does a visual demonstration. Basically, he fills a small funnel (about the size of sleeve) with apple sauce. You can see it go drip-drip-drip SLOWLY, because of the dense mushiness of the apple sauce. That is a visualization of how food sits in stomach while it is in the early stages of digestion (important for nutrient absorption).

He then adds about a table spoon of Water on top of the apple sauce, and you see the drip rate quicken noticeably. Then, to fully illustrate what happens when you drink substantial liquid while or immediately after eating - he adds a good bit of Water on top of the apple sauce and you immediately see it FLUSH thru the funnel. That is to illustrate that if you drink while or immediately after eating, you really cause food to flush quickly from the stomach into the intestinal tract - which is a bad thing. A very good visual reference to understand why all the chatter about waiting 30 minutes after eating, before drinking. Note: One of the posters here and I have seen elsewhere for longer term post-op folks will/can drink while eating.

On the matter of drinking before eating, you will see a lot of variation. You will see guidance to stop drinking 30 mins before eating, or stop 15 minutes before eating. I have seen some Docs say it doesn't matter how close to eating when you stop drinking (which makes sense to me, btw).

Now, because you and I are both from Louisiana, its interesting to consider the case of eating gumbo (or Soup in the general case).

My question is simple >>> if you eat something like gumbo which has solids in it AND has a high liquid concentration, then how is that any different from drinking????? In general case, same would apply for Soups (regular Soups, no strained or cream soups).

Perhaps someone can answer that questions, because I am 2 weeks post op and REALLY WANT ME SOME GUMBO :)

-RC-

Why can't you strain some gumbo? Is that not allowed? ragincajun

Why can't you strain some gumbo? Is that not allowed? ragincajun

Then it's not Gumbo!

AMEN! I want to eat the gumbo to both enjoy the roux and to enjoy the crawfish, shrimp, crab, sausage. All of which I can eat in small quantities with no discomfort. So, a small bowl of gumbo no rice will hit the spot for a meal. Yum yum!

So, to clarify, the question was about any dish that has a broth associated with solids. Isn't that the same thing as drinking while eating?

-RC-

@@RaginCajun

Geaux Tigers! I am a LSU Med School Grad and no I am not one of those devil Doctors just an RN BSN , BC. I want the answer to the Soup with floaters dilemma too! You've got your liquid and your gator lol. This seems to break all the rules!!!

My surgeon and his team say no liquids 15 mins before meals or 30 mins after meals.

I follow those instrucs pretty well.

And from personal experience, I do stay fuller longer (and my tummy is more comfortable) if I wait 30 mins after meals to drink.

@@lynneanne

VSG on 16-April, transitioned to soft foods on 24-April.

No problems with small quantities of shellfish, so far - shrimp, crab, crawfish.

BTW, I live in ATL now.

-RC-

Your MD is a fast mover lol - NORTHERNERS!! My guy wants me on liquids for a month! Then pureed for a month! I grew up in New Orleans but moved Up North too. The Northshore that is - St. Tammany Parish. I live in the Honey Island Swamp. Pearl River. As Louisianne as you can get Cher. My brother lives in the vast sprawl that is Atlanta and LOVES IT!! We both think the other talks funny. He misses Roast Beef Po Boys and says he can't find the right kind if french bread.I am quite the Nawlins cook but no more for me. If I had butter and garlic I could whip up anything lol! Then I became a great lot fat low carb low sodium chef and lost 42 pounds before my sleeve. My family is in great shape now too. Can' t wait to be off liquids! Sleeved April 24th.

It's a small world, I'm from Franklinton which is in Washington Parish.

Only a stones throw from Pearl River!

Moved to Atlanta in 2006 to be around extended family. Plan to retire in six years and will move to Florida, Pensacola specifically. Love the beach area, it's back in the central time zone, and no state income taxes :)

-RC-

If you're from Franlinton then you have to know my good friend Delicia "Dee Dee" formerly an Ingram. Will not put her current name to protect the innocent and all that. I was a nursing supervisor a Southeast Louisana Hospital so I know everybody! I probably know you!!