Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Bariatric Pal. Here's my story

I'm not new here but this is my first post. I've been a lurker since 2012 when I first decided I wanted to research weight loss surgery. I had just finished completing my first half marathon and felt great so why not. I was ready for a change. At that time I weighted 244 lbs.

My physician sent a referral and I started a 12 week program with a nutritionist and a behaviorist. All I kept hearing during those 12 weeks was how I wasn't going to be able to eat "normal" foods again. I remember thinking I'm not going to be able to eat in a few months I'll eat now. (How silly of me). I had to keep a food and exercise journal during the 12 weeks. All I kept thinking was what a waste. I'm ready for this.

Boy was I wrong. I kept gaining weight since I was eating everything I wasn't going to be able to eat. Steer my last class I had gained 15 lbs. I decided that I wasn't going to move forward with surgery. That food was part of my lifestyle. That as a family we would get together just to eat. I had an entire year to reconsider but I didn't and added an additional 12 lbs. I didn't look back I just thought weight loss surgery wasn't for me.

Fast forward to labor day 2014. I was having a great time at the beach with family. The waves huge. Hadn't seen them like that in a while. Long story short my cousin was swept by the wave pinned me on my right knee while he was being dragged and tore my meniscus. I was in so much pain. To top it off when I went to see my physician she went over my diabetes and was toId me I was non compliant. That my diabetes was high. Oh boy.

We decided to give weight loss surgery a try and I had to re take the 12 week classes. I started in November my weight at the time 272. I loved my classes this time around and for some reason I didn't keep hearing you won't be able to eat this or that. On the contrary it was about making healthier choices, changing old habits and getting me ready to surgery. I survived Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter and a 2 week vacation and managed to loose 26 lbs on my own. I realized that what I love most in life is Creating Memories with the people that I love not partaking of the food.

I never looked back and happy to share I was sleeved 5 days ago on Monday, April 27. I can't believe I did it. I am so Happy and look forward to my future. I had no problems during surgery came home the next day. The incisions are healing great just pain in my stomach area.

Thank you to the Bariatric Pal Community. This is my go to place when ever I have a question.

My journey has been over 2 years in the making but I did it. Hope my story helps you in your process

Marissa

I am SOOOOO proud of you!!! Great job and a great story, one a lot of us can share in. Thank you for sharing....

Hi Marissa. I can relate to your story totally. I wasted years and years but got my sleeve a week ago today. Feeling ok. Trying to get my Protein in some days a struggle. Exercise I don't like but have walked todsy twice. It's going to have its good days and bad. Congratulations on taking the plunge

Congratulations on your surgery. THANK YOU for sharing your story. It is nice to hear from another who was on the fence about surgery, but who took the plunge and made the necessary changes.

Yayyy that's awesome....you actually made me realize that that is what I cherish as well...it's the big get together with family and friends and the memories not the great meals that I feel like I'm missing!! I was sleeved on April 29th 5 days post op and 18 pounds down!!!