Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my life ruined for ever due to my weight loss surgery?

@@foodfighter78

I had the gastric sleeve and i had a very painful couple weeks a while ago and it turned out to be esophogeal spasms. It was so painful. I had to get a spasm surpressant but have not used it now cause they finally went away by themselves. I wonder if that might be your culprit. i would also equate it to gas pains.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow.

I can only eat less then 1/4 cup mashed potatoes, or 1/4 cup of cous cous all day. About 3- 4 cups of warm Water. Today even with the mashed potatoes I felt a pain on my right side. I can't eat any Protein shake, Protein pudding, or crunch bars. As soon as I try to chew something I start pain on the upper stomach, refer pain on my back, and fill so uncomfortable that I just give up. I'm 75 kg now, getting dizzy, start weight 105 kg on surgery day. So I lost 30 kg in 7 weeks. I don't think is very healthy. I hope and pray doc can help me tomorrow.

Have you noticed if temperature matters? My NUT mentioned that very cold things may make it more painful/can cause cramping. I find I prefer room temperature and warm (soups) beverages and foods.

@@foodfighter78

I will pray that you get well. i know the feeling. It makes eating a difficult task. i started to hate food because it would hurt me. I am better now but I do understand your emotions in this.

you dont want to swap addiction for addiction, but for me I spent those times i would normally just boredom eat, with new hobbies. I now play guitar and take guitar lessons. I go to the gym. etc. i write, I do my blog, etc. lots of things you can do to kep your mind off of food. Do i miss food, heck ya and I always will and there are many days i wish i could just eat normally, even e\ating healthy but a normal portion and then I have to look at how much I've lost and how far I have come and I am okay with it all. It will be harder I am sure more months down the road when im at goal and just maintaining, but ill cross that bridge when i get there. You can do this.

Protein drinks and Protein Bars and the sugar free pudding still make me sick and a year out chicken and such is still hard to eat. eggs although soft almost always make me sick.

It is very early at 7 weeks. I was still on soft foods. You may be trying to push too fast or may need to try different foods. Your new tummy will like some things but not others.

Refried Beans with melted cheese, cottage cheese, Soup (no cream ones too rich) were and still are my go to foods.

@@foodfighter78

I had the gastric sleeve and i had a very painful couple weeks a while ago and it turned out to be esophogeal spasms. It was so painful. I had to get a spasm surpressant but have not used it now cause they finally went away by themselves. I wonder if that might be your culprit. i would also equate it to gas pains.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow.

I can only eat less then 1/4 cup mashed potatoes, or 1/4 cup of cous cous all day. About 3- 4 cups of warm Water. Today even with the mashed potatoes I felt a pain on my right side. I can't eat any Protein shake, Protein pudding, or crunch bars. As soon as I try to chew something I start pain on the upper stomach, refer pain on my back, and fill so uncomfortable that I just give up. I'm 75 kg now, getting dizzy, start weight 105 kg on surgery day. So I lost 30 kg in 7 weeks. I don't think is very healthy. I hope and pray doc can help me tomorrow.

I still can't eat ANY cous cous or a 1/4 cup mashed potatoes. Potatoes hurt when I try to eat them every time. Things like cous cous are very hard to digest. Not something I would have even tried that early. Hopefully no blockages or strictures but maybe your nutritionist can help you find other food choices.

The pain you described on your right side - that sounds like gallbladder pain -do you still have your gallbladder? If so, ask them to check you for gallstones, and if that is negative, ask for a HIDA scan. I had my GB out years ago, but it took 6 years of pain, and at least 5 different doctors to get diagnosed b/c I did not have gallstones, just a GB that did not work.

The pain is up under the ribcage on the right and can often be felt in the back or shoulder as well. It is very common after rapid weight loss.

I hope you get some relief soon!

I had gallbladder removed in 2006 because gallstones. I went to doc today and he set up an endoscopy for Monday with the gastroenterologist. He told me I have to eat more calories, and suggest Isopure, all day I could only tolerate 1/2 bottle. He said could be a restriction, an ulcer, or an hernia! I'll find out on Monday. So for now trying hard to get Protein Shake or isopure drink. Thank you for your responses

I didn’t have these problems, so I’m only speaking from what I’ve heard/read. It can take a long time to heal – much longer for some than for others. You may need to go through the liquids phase again and take longer with it this time. Also, as the others said, don’t focus on weight loss until you’re healed – no pain. This is the time to heal, not to try to lose weight.

Your surgeon and/or nutritionist should be able to help you through this tough time. They should be able to tell you what to eat, and they should also let you know if your symptoms are normal. It will probably “just” take time and patience – not easy, but it will get better. Good luck!

stricture, dr enlarge with a balloon, biopsy.

@@foodfighter78

sorry you have this issue :blink:

knowing the problem is half the battle :)

i don't have a good understanding of a stricture :wacko:

enlarging with a balloon???

can you help a VET out?? :blush:

crossing fingers and toes

hope you get some good advice/pain relief on Monday

caring thoughts being sent your way from syracuse, ny

good luck

kathy

@@foodfighter78, I'm glad you got an answer.

@@proudgrammy - a stricture is when a band of scar tissue forms around something and causes it to get tight - they can get small enough to keep any food from passing through, and they can be stretched via endoscopy with a balloon. They can happen in the esophagus, the new stomach, or anywhere in the intestines... more common at the junctions, but they can occur with no surgery at all in some people.

I had a second endoscopy, they dilate again because was going to close again. Dr said hopefully it works. If not he said we might have to consider steroid shots. I'll have to see how I'll do. My pretty tired, I have pain, I hope I can get to a normal life again. REGRET surgery big time