Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can tell you have lost "some" weight?

I appreciate all the compliments I receive BUT after losing nearly 100 lbs....I am tired of hearing "I can tell by your face you have lost "some" weight" I know darn well my cheeks didn't weigh 50 lbs. apiece!!

LOL! If they did, you would have some very saggy cheeks now!

This is just my opinion but I think people are not sure how to respond when they see someone who looks very different. Most people simply want to be encouraging and so the first thing out of their mouth usually relates to how different our faces look. I know when I look in the mirror, it shocks me.

On 2 occasions now, I have had people not recognize me at all. The only reason they knew it was me was because I was with my husband.

Then of course, they are scared to ask how for fear it might be some horrible disease like cancer causing my extreme weight loss. In these two cases, they actually asked my husband about my weight loss. I am very open about how and why I had WLS so he will simply tell them how proud of my weight loss he is and that it is intended. Then they will usually compliment me and ask questions.

I have a fantastic relationship with my dermatologist, he actually saved my life a few years ago in the hospital. Of course I was at my heaviest at the time. I see him every 8 weeks for an injection. Every time I see him he stares at me and then tells me how pretty I look. All because I don't have 3 chins anymore and my face looks younger. Of course this is always a positive compliment.

Anyway, sometimes people just don't know how to even bring it up without offending you.

I'm so LOL.....

I think to a lot of people "some" weight is about 10 pounds. To others it's more than they can comprehend. They don't really know what to say without fear of offending us in some way. I try not to worry about it too much. I know how much I've lost, and that's all that really matters.

Enjoy the compliments regardless of how silly they may sound. I say temper patience with mercy...

Saggy cheeks here :-( , many do not recognize me either, but that is a good thing as I didn't enjoy morbid obesity :-)

Here's a good one for everyone....

Today I saw someone I haven't seen for several months and all she could say at first after she finally figured out who I was was "Oh my God", Oh my God". then she got real close and whispered..."Did you have a facelift? You look 20 yrs younger than the last time I saw you". I told her that I hadn't and she backed up, looked at me and asked if I had gone in for a total body lift. I told her no, but that I may have one next year. She kept saying "Oh my God" until I thought I'd crack up laughing. :P

Really????? I happy she and others think I look younger, because at my age looking younger is ALWAYS a plus, but a simple compliment would have been enough. Other people heard her, and instead of feeling good about her noticing the change I found myself feeling totally self conscious.

Good thing she'll never have the chance to see me naked.... :o

Hehe I went out this weekend and I had someone hug me she was so excited about my weight loss.

These reactions, although sweet, have been a little odd. I see myself daily... So sometimes I don't see myself the way others do. It's been taking some getting used to.

The one comment I think is strange and somewhat funny is......"you look really good, I really like the way you've been looking". Well I guess they didn't like the way I looked before, lol!!

I am a newbie from the ds surgery and started have my 5th week post op. I have had quite a few people say "I can tell you have lost weight in the face and from behind you can really tell". I just yes, my back shelf has definitely gotten smaller and laugh. It does make me feel good that people have noticed at work. I was not secretive about the surgery and did not have a second thought about doing this once I made the decision. It did take me 4 yrs to decide to do the surgery and lots of research before I made the decision. I have a great support group of friends and family that are behind me and cheer me on. Good luck to everyone