Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, today I am 5 years post op and the difference between my old life and my new life are very different. So far I have lost 135 lbs, I weigh 165 down from 300. I finally have a BMI of less than 25. I have learned a lot over the last 5 years. I lost a lot of my weight in the first 6 mos but i have continued to lose slowly after that. These are the things that helped me be successful.

1. I knew I was a food addict and I treated the weeks after my surgery like detox. I had to clear my system of the toxic foods I was eating and start over again. I periodically juice for a week or two when I know I am backsliding. I knew I wouldn't feel good those first few weeks as I went through withdrawal because I had been a drug addict years before but I knew if I could get through it without using I would do better in the long run.

2. I thank God I had a Dr who talked to me straight and told me there were foods I couldn't or shouldn't eat anymore. Breads bother me terribly so I don't eat them. I didnt eat any Pasta for at least a year or rice due to the issue of swelling. Ice cream and pudding are an issue for me because they are too easy to eat and therefore over eat. Work hard at not throwing up.

3. I got counseling. I knew that I couldn't just give up my coping mechanism, I would just find another one. I needed to find out why I eat and how to control that urge. I eat as a way to lower my stress and hide from people. My layer of fat was a great insulation from the world. Losing my insulation was scary but it opened up a new life for me.

4. Don't drink your calories. I didn't touch soda for 4 years I have had a few since then but they are really hard to drink and I don't really like them. When my weight loss slowed I stopped drinking coffee except once a day, the rest of the day I drink Water. Water is better for you anyway and you will develop a taste for it.

5. Enjoy your weight loss. Not everyone will be happy for you when you lose weight and some people will get really sad because either it didn't work for them or they aren't ready to give up overeating, you can't let that trip you up. I was fighting for my life, I wish all my loved ones could do this too but I can't make them. I deserve to live a good full life though and I can't stay where I was just keep them happy.

6. Exercise! It reduces stress and tones your body along with burning fat. I ate my stress so I need to work out to lower my stress levels. I also really like it. I feel good knowing I can lift weights and do chin ups. I started slow and built up as I lost weight. I love my arm muscles!

7. Loose skin is just a fact. I can't afford the surgery to remove it. It looks weird but it is also a kind of a badge. This is what I accomplished. It is also a reminder to not fill it up again.

8. Reward yourself. Set goals and when you get there reward yourself with something tangible not edible. Buy some nice outfit for yourself, treat yourself to something sexy and the good place to wear it. Take a trip and enjoy fitting in the seats and toilet on the airplane.

9. Don't totally restrict your food. You can eat good things but in reasonable proportions. You can have chocolate but not every day, or every other day, maybe once a week though. Make those things a treat.

10. Take care of yourself. Get enough sleep. Eat right. Go to the Dr when you need it. I let my Protein get low a few times and got really ill.

Five years ago I took a step to change my life and I would do it again today if I had to. It was scary but I was determined to make it work. I had friends and coworkers who it hadn't worked for because they didn't want to get enough fills to effect what they could eat or they ate things early on that caused a slip. I wasn't willing to take that chance so I did exactly what the Dr told me, I am so glad I it.

I adore hearing long term bander stories. Not too many of us compared to sleevers... Lots of non compliance/problems posted daily about bands. Great to hear the good news.

I'm also years out and of course changed my interaction with food.< /p>

I am so thankful to be a " normal" size in this world. ( whatever that is to each of us). I find it easier to navigate my life daily.

Hope you continue posting.

Thank you so much for sharing that with us. You've clearly come a long way and deserve every success. Well done.

Thank you for every word of this post. It is very inspirational and gives me such hope for my own long term success. Congratulations!

Common sense advice. Thanks!

I'm over 4 years, but not quite 5 yet...there are foods I still do not, cannot eat, and there are foods I thoroughly enjoy that most people on a diet would never dream of consuming....

It is a new lifestyle of eating less, and eating good.

Congratulations, sounds as though you got your head on straight, and this new life should/will last forever.

Great post, thank you so much. Arm muscles, yippee! And being able to enjoy working out. I'm there with the enjoyment of exercise and honestly can't believe it's me. You make so many great points -- I have been overly-restrictive in my previous yo-yo dieting life and try to let myself have a little of whatever it is I want. Sometimes just the thought of that is enough. And sleep -- the basics of taking care of one's self, one's body. No one can do it for us. And no, not every one will be happy. There are people who liked me fat and struggling, conflicted and introverted. Bye bye. Being happy with myself is where it's at; I've really been learning that as I've been choosing myself first and showing up for ME and my life. Saving my own life, as we all are. Very glad I made this decision. What a difference this little piece of silicone has made to my life.

Great lessons learned. Congratulations

Great job ! Congratulations ! I can only hope that I can achieve arm muscles too someday !! Thanks for being such an amazing inspiration !!!