Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A patient died after surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz at A Lighter Me!

I'm literally thinking of changing my mind...this has scared me to be honest....

I've been changing my mind for three years. I wish I hadn't. I'm now 50 MORE pounds overweight. :/

The statistics are looking so much better now. I am, however, very sorry for this unfortunate patient and their family.

I wish you well.

Sincerely,

S

Wow I went around this time.I had dr.curiel.it seemed like alm was a bit unorganized.and said it was because they had lost one of their Cordinator/drivers.i wonder now.i know if I'd have seen this it would have made me leary and I would have been panicking.i do not regret going and i knew going in there are risks.even of death im sure every patient no matter where it's performed fears it and takes that risk.even thou I did not have dr.ortiz he also made sure I was doing well and checked me when he seen his patient.he showed concern about his patients.my roomate had bad nausea and he checked on her many many times a day.

im sorry this happened to your friend.god bless

If I were having this surgery I would want it in a hospital that could handle any emergency that would arise post-surgically and not have to be transported to another facility. Every minute counts in an emergency and I wouldn't care how close another facility was.

For me saving money isn't worth risking your life.

Cleos mom:good point! there are different levels of hospitals in every country. In the US, we have trauma centers,.etc... Mexico also seems to have large, small, specialized hospitals.

I have spoken to many people who had surgery in Mexico and learned a lot about the level of care, standards and quality medical care. It varies like anywhere else. Research is so important.

My mom had a stroke and the surgeon said that every minute waiting for treatment was crucial to her life. They call it Time =Brain.

A well equipped hospital has a CT scan and an MRI and personnel to handle most complications.

I am spending more time researching hospitals than surgeons. Fortunately Finding a real good surgeon in Mexico is not that difficult.

You are smart to do your research an you are right that every minute count in an emergency.

Dr. Ortiz performed my surgery. I don't know if I would have gone through with it had I heard stories about a recent death. However, death is always a risk with surgery. Dr. Ortiz is very experienced. The hospital is adequate but not what one would expect in the USA, but then again that is why it costs so much less.

Hello I am a Register Nurse (17 years Dialysis RN) I want to share my pre op experience so far, I filled a form through Bariatric Pal to get information regarding the surgery and process, I was interested in Dr. Carlos Alatamirano Cano, in less than an hour, Dr. A wrote back and asked if I want to skype or face time so we can talk about the process ( at that point I haven't give any $ or said I would do anything) he spent like an hour with me and was very professional and knowledgable. I booked my surgery with him 2 days after our conversation, after that we exchanged a few emails and FaceTime also, I feel very confident that the care I will get there is going to be excellent, so confident that I am going by my self...don't get me wrong the process is nerve wracking but, I will be nervous even if the surgery was in USA. I feel sad for those that died and their families, unfortunately we are all at risk of death when we are going for any type of surgery, even with small and simple procedures. I wish all of you getting surgery here in U.S. or MX best luck and health.

@@Cleo's Mom

You can still die in a hospital. Also, you may not realize this but patients in the U.S. are routinely transferred to other hospitals based upon the situation. So you may be in an emergency and the closest hospital is say 5 minutes away. However, if that hospital decides it is not the right location for you or that another location is better you will be taken there instead, even though it may be 10, 15+ minutes away. Also happens if by chance the hospital is full.

I'm just going to go ahead and say this. For some reason there has been a slight influx of people who either are not getting weight loss surgery or who have had it in the U.S. who come on to the Mexican sub-forum and try to either pass shade on the thought of going to Mexico or try to spread fear by implying it's not safe. This really needs to stop.

Everybody freaks out over a death. This is understandable. However, what people fail to realize is that people can and do die during the most seemingly simple of surgeries. Death is always a risk in any surgery. It's a low risk but it is a risk. If you feel you can't have the surgery even though the risk is low then there's no need for you to come on this board and speak about your fears or misconstrue the risks based on your fear of having the surgery or fear of where the surgery took place.

I'm just going to go ahead and say this. For some reason there has been a slight influx of people who either are not getting weight loss surgery or who have had it in the U.S. who come on to the Mexican sub-forum and try to either pass shade on the thought of going to Mexico or try to spread fear by implying it's not safe. This really needs to stop.

Everybody freaks out over a death. This is understandable. However, what people fail to realize is that people can and do die during the most seemingly simple of surgeries. Death is always a risk in any surgery. It's a low risk but it is a risk. If you feel you can't have the surgery even though the risk is low then there's no need for you to come on this board and speak about your fears or misconstrue the risks based on your fear of having the surgery or fear of where the surgery took place.

My understanding is that all forums on here are open to all members who are free to post their opinions as you are yours.

Neither I nor anyone else posted fears or misconstrued risks. I simply stated what I would do and I stand by my statement. People are free to have their surgeries anywhere they wish, as am I.

I totally agree with you. I had my sugery in Mexico 36 days ago. My experience was wonderful. People need to do their own research and make sure they follow directions. Death is possible anytime ur going into surgery. In my opinion Mexico was great for me seeing as though the states denied me 4 times. I wish everyone nothing but success and wish that others would stop making it seem to be awful . You dont know unless you been. I dislike hear say. Good day ppl

What's telling is that there's something like 5x the amount of weight loss surgeries in the USA than Mexico, but you never hear about specific deaths in the USA. I'm sure it has to do with privacy laws as well as people being held for libel in the US compared to mexico.

It is not libel if it is the truth @@Soonerjoseph