Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Undecided on revision procedure

I'm a 34yr male. 6'1 and currently weighing 225 pounds. I had succesful lap band surgery in march 2007 and lost 80 pounds. From 265 went down to 185. I had maintained overall weight loss success until sometime last year in january 2014 when i started to notice the GERD getting worse and also some weight gain. For the first time in 5 years when i hit the scale i saw numbers over the 200 range. I started to worry because i knew something was not right. Got an upper GI series done and all it showed was mild pouch dilation. Doctor left band as is and never suggested any course of treatment for the dilation and for the GERD. Fast forward now to 2015 and I seeked a second opinion from another surgeon. Surgeon performed an EGD and it shows that there is band slippage, gastritis and presence of GERD. Surgeon suggested a revision for the lap band and to convert it to either a gastric sleeve or gastric bypass. Insurance has approved the revision but need guidance or help in deciding which one is better for me. I see soo many mix responses from people suggesting or prefering one over the other. I will say that yes the band did work for me and do its job. It improved my health alot but now is the GERD that is just kicking me in the rear end very bad. Like stated before I weight 225 now and for the long term success and achivement I'm undecided as to what procedure is more suited for me at this point of my life. I do need the surgery to aliviate the discomfort plus without any bariatric procedure on me I would go back to how i was prior to the lapband. I tried it all before deciding doing bariatric surgery in 2007.

Thank you.

Honestly if you have gerd now, the sleeve can make that much worse. I would spend sometime with your doctor and go on line and read about the statistics of each surgery before making a decision.

You will get a lot of opinions on here but you still may be left with confusion over what to do. I was originally scheduled to get the sleeve done. After meeting with my surgeon and going over my history, he suggested that I change to the RNY. I was absolutely devastated because I had my heart set on the sleeve. For some reason I was scared about the rerouting that happens with RNY.

Then, I went to see my gastroenterologist who told me that if I had the sleeve and my gerd got worse, there was nothing he could do with medications as I was already at the max. He suggested that I go on line and do some additional research but his recommendation to go to the RNY was very clear. He was concerned I would be looking at a revision down the road.

I only wanted to do this surgery once. After spending many hours reading on line and books I decided to go with the RNY.

I have not regretted it for one second. I can eat anything I want, I do not have to take meds for gerd/reflux prevention and I have never had a single episode of either.

Research until you feel comfortable...... good luck!

Thanks for the information. You are absolutely right about getting many different opinions on this forum. I will seek the surgeon's advise and we will go over the data and discuss what is the best route possible for me.

Hi I am in a similar situation. Band fitted 2007, lost 120 pounds, life was great... Sort of. My band would self tighten on a regular basis requiring an emergency unfill and then it would take many fills to try and get back to anything like a sweet spot. I persevered, but 18 months ago I started with A persistent cough, then things just went down hill. I have silent reflux, GERD gastritis. My throat was red raw and I was hoarse. My band had been checked and it hasn't actually slipped but it does have a fine tipping point between restriction and total closure.

My sugeon advised me against the sleeve due to having reflux. I am now due to revise to an MGB in June.

If you have not been tested for H Pylori I would suggest you get this checked. I was positive and it magnified my symptoms.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

I actually just researched this, and while the Sleeve is excellent, it's what I got, it actually makes the GERD worse before it makes it any better, and I'm talking the GERD will be there for at least 1 to 3 years before it has a marked improvement. I don't suffer from GERD so the sleeve was the smart choice for me.

Im getting ready for revision 2 im a band to a sleeve now going bypass the gerd is unbearable even with 3 medications ive5been dilated 7 times didn't help

My band caused acid reflux which turned into barretts esophagus. I was told Rny was the way i had to go cause the sleeve actually could cause acid reflux, while the bypass can cure reflux. Its because of the way the sleeve is shaped that causes it.

I love my bypass and i am 15 pounds from goal weight.

Edited by tebowfan

Im getting ready for revision 2 im a band to a sleeve now going bypass the gerd is unbearable even with 3 medications ive5been dilated 7 times didn't help

I hope you get the relief you need and recover quickly, too many habing a 3rd op due to reflux.

My MGB is on Wednesday in Belgium. GERD has been a little better with an empty band but I am hoping it goes fir good on e the healing is done,

Hope you get the relief from reglux that you need and heal quickly.

My revision to MGB is on Wednesday in Belgium. Will be glad to see the back of GERD.

I revisioned to Sleeve. It worked well with the damage left from the band. I am doing well and happy with my choice. It would be unfair to compare your loss to mine... I have insulin resistance, PCOS, Menopausal, etc.... but I am still losing.

Sleeve will make it worse i just had second revision i was babd sleeve now bypass. Also i find sleeve harder to recoup than bypass im on day 4 and doing well