Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from New Jersey ?

Hi fellow sleevers! I'm new to the group. I'm in northern jersey am I'm going to have my surgery at Morristown medical center. Anybody used Dr. Ward or Dr. Nusbaum? Those are the 2 surgeons I was deciding between. I'll figure it out when I see dr. N on Monday. This is a scary experience and I'm looking for all the support I can get. My family keeps telling me that I don't need the sleeve being that I don't look " that big". But I'm 5'5 245lbs. I may not " look that big" but I'm unhealthy and I want to prevent any weight related issues that run in my family. Am I wrong for wanting surgery? Ugh. Sorry I'm all over the place , I have nobody else to talk to ????

Am I wrong for wanting surgery?

@@lex8701

you are the only one that can make that decision :)

don't let your family sway you :huh:

talk to the doc on monday

he'll give you his opinion

but in the long wrong, its your choice :)

decisions, decisions, decisions :wacko:

my sister Suzy lives in NJ

does she count? ;)

good luck

kathy

Hi Kathy. Your absolutely right it is my decision! It's just hard when your going they this alone I guess. The 1st doctor I went to said I qualify but he rushed our consult that's why I decided to see a second doctor. I'm also going to meet with the nutritionist Tuesday. Everything is moving so quickly !

Hi fellow sleevers! I'm new to the group. I'm in northern jersey am I'm going to have my surgery at Morristown medical center. Anybody used Dr. Ward or Dr. Nusbaum? Those are the 2 surgeons I was deciding between. I'll figure it out when I see dr. N on Monday. This is a scary experience and I'm looking for all the support I can get. My family keeps telling me that I don't need the sleeve being that I don't look " that big". But I'm 5'5 245lbs. I may not " look that big" but I'm unhealthy and I want to prevent any weight related issues that run in my family. Am I wrong for wanting surgery? Ugh. Sorry I'm all over the place , I have nobody else to talk to

I grew up in Jersey but now I live in California. I had the same problem you have. Many folks kept telling me I didnt need surgery but I knew different. I am 5' 4' and was 202 lbs. I have sleep apnea and a bad low back not to mention several foot surgeries.I did so much on my own to better my health and wait and to no avail could not succeed.

Do what you feel is best. Yes your family cares about you but they are so used to seeing you they won't say that you look bigger or are heavier. Your body will tell you when it is time for a permanent change.

Donna

Thank you Donna I feel the same way. It's just that my family tries to talk me out of it every chance they get. I'm too young ( I'm 22). I should just work out. I'm not that heavy etc. it's to the point I don't even want to tell them what's going on. Every time I mention going to meet with my doctor it's always " your really getting surgery. You don't need it". It's just all very frustrating

Hi Kathy. Your absolutely right it is my decision! It's just hard when your going they this alone I guess. The 1st doctor I went to said I qualify but he rushed our consult that's why I decided to see a second doctor. I'm also going to meet with the nutritionist Tuesday. Everything is moving so quickly !

Have you been to an educational seminar? I used Dr. Feteiha at Overlook, really like him and he required attendance at the seminar. It was very informative and I liked his presentation . I actually attended 3 seminars and listened o 3 different surgeons.

Definitely go for a second consult...or even a third until you are comfortable with your decision.

I could go to overlook as well. I work for the hospital so I have to be use an Atlantic health surgeon. If I don't feel comfortable with dr. Nusbaum I'll look into other doctors. I was just staying close to work 1st

Also the educational seminar I went to only talked about the different types of surgeries. But it was ran by a nutritionist so I had to start meeting doctors on my own

Also the educational seminar I went to only talked about the different types of surgeries. But it was ran by a nutritionist so I had to start meeting doctors on my own

Hmmm, I went to 3 and they were all run by the surgeon, had info on the types of surgery, question and answer time and former patients in attendance to speak and answer questions.

Like I said before, keep looking until you are comfortable. I just had a feeling that Dr. Feteiha was for me. When you find the right surgeon you will know. Good luck. Oh, and by the way I can not say enough positive things about my nurses and patient care techs at Overlook, great care.

@lex8701 I was just sleeved on 4/21 by Dr. Nusbaum. He and his staff are terrific. If you've met with him you know the reasons. Dr. Ward is an associate of his and when I was last in his office he referred someone out to Dr. Ward because he did not accept their insurance by Dr. Ward did. I have heard many things about Dr. Nusbaum and his meticulous behavior and I would think if he refers patients to Dr. Ward he must be excellent as well.

BTW I'm 5'3" and weighed at 268 day of surgery. I am now 255 and falling. ;)

Hi there...I am also in North Jersey :)

I am not sceduled for surgery until 7/22/15 with Dr Karl Strom.

I am going through appointments with psychologist (today), nutritionist, pulmunary, gastro.

Good luck to you in your journey

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ward on June 17. I had a great consult with him. His office manager (I think that's what her title is), Julie is AMAZING!! She has answered all of my questions (and I had plenty!) without making me feel silly. I'm really looking forward to surgery with him. I also went to his nutritionist Shannon who was so helpful! Like someone else said, you'll know when you meet the right surgeon for you!

Good luck!!

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ward on June 17. I had a great consult with him. His office manager (I think that's what her title is), Julie is AMAZING!! She has answered all of my questions (and I had plenty!) without making me feel silly. I'm really looking forward to surgery with him. I also went to his nutritionist Shannon who was so helpful! Like someone else said, you'll know when you meet the right surgeon for you!

Good luck!!

Congrats on receiving your surgery date. I'm still going thru the steps. Need my psych visit which Is scheduled for May 20 so hopefully everything goes well ????. I decided yo go with Dr. Nusbaum. Once I met him I knew I wanted him to preform my surgery. Dr. Ward just didn't sit to well with me. My consult was rushed.

I live in south jersey but my surgery is in Pronceton at NJ Bariatric with Dr. Brolin on July 16th! Super excited!! This has been a long time coming. I did look at Dr Nausbaum but I am Cash Pay and he was really expensive.

If you are looking for a 2nd opinion and are close to Livingston I would recommend going to see Dr Andrei's. He is amazing! He would have done my sleeve if it was covered by insurance.

Edited by nikkiblueyes

I live in south jersey but my surgery is in Pronceton at NJ Bariatric with Dr. Brolin on July 16th! Super excited!! This has been a long time coming. I did look at Dr Nausbaum but I am Cash Pay and he was really expensive.

hi Nikki! Congrats on your surgery date. I finally had my psych visit so now I'm just waiting on the approval from the insurance company. Fingers crossed ????????. Definitely keep in touch !!