Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, today is post op day 6 for me and I'm a wreck. Extremely weak and fatigued. The pain has gotten better and I was finally able to have a BM last night, which made me feel somewhat better. I have just been having extreme feelings of regret. The reflux is unbearable. I've been waking up every night and now it's to the point I can't eat anything without the lava creeping up my throat. I've been sleeping with 3 pillows to help with the general pain and the reflux. It's helped somewhat. Let's see.. I'm also having vivid dreams of me going out and eating massive amounts of pizza and burgers- that could be the pain meds. The relief I feel when I realize I didn't do it is awesome.

Right now I feel hungry and tired. I've been getting about 40-50g Protein in a day and about 50 oz of fluids. Today I've barely had any. I take protonix daily-switched to night to see if it would help and it didn't- and have been taking a lot of rolaids through out the day. Milk seems to be the only thing that helps.

I'm just so miserable. My husband is in school and is working ft so I'm home alone most of the time and have to get my son to and from school. I have no family here in MD. No help at all. I'm freaking the hell out. Breaking down a lot. I knew it would be hard but I don't know.

I start puréed tomorrow. We will see if I can tolerate it.

Max weight at the start was 275.

Lost 20lbs prior to surgery 255.

I have lost 6lbs from the surgery 4/17 pretty much by starving to death.

I just need some comfort here.

It gets better!! This is the toughest time. Your body has been through the trauma of surgery, your calories are super low and your hormones are out of whack. The binging dreams are totally normal. I had food eating contests in my dreams! My sense of smell was very sensitive too so if I smelled anything it made me sick to my stomach.

Your energy levels should come back sometime between the 4-8 week mark. All I can tell you is to take it day by day. It seems like forever in the moment but looking back it flew by.

I had reflux but not until I was about two months out then it only lasted about two months then went away. But it sounds like you might need to change prescriptions or increase your dosage. Have you mentioned the reflux to your surgeon/doctor?

Bless your heart. You have made it though the toughest part. Hang in there and I promise you it will get better and better every day. There are lots of folks on here to give you moral support but I know you need more. Maybe try reaching out to a local church if you don't already have one. I'm sure there is one that could offer some help.

It gets much better...I promise. Just tell yourself that one way or another, time passes, and you've already gotten through the worst part. You could have spent this time doing nothing for your health and be worse off than you are now in a year or you can spend this time being miserable, gradually improving, and be like most of the rest of us, completely exuberant a year from now about how much life has changed. Nothing stinks forever....or well I suppose somethings do, but this is not one of them. Chin up, buttercup, you've got this. :)

Hi There,

I feel your pain (literally)! I am just over 2weeks out, and last week I felt very much the way you do now. I did ask my surgeon about the heartburn and discomfort and he suggested Prilosec. You might want to ask your doctor if this might work for you. From what I've been told and read, this all gets much easier very soon. Hang in there, and I'll do the same.

Everybody here has great advice. When I was just out no one told me about the heartburn. I took Prilosec and it went away. Then my surgeon prescribed it for me. I felt like crap the first week but had to go right back to work as I own my own business. I think that helped as it gave me focus. Best of luck. I'm 19 months out now.

You're getting in 50 ounces of Fluid at 6 days out? That's a lot I think for so soon.

My problem with reflux was over eating. I did omeprazole and then increased that. Then was on sucralose and then was looking for another option until I read an a reflux diet and followed it to the letter.

It was 6 months of horrific acid before I felt a lot better and happy to say I now don't have it.

But most was due to overeating. And/ or over drinking.

I don't think I ever got to 50 ounces of liquids until 2 weeks out or more.

Slow that down just a little bit. Sip slowly and plan it out. So lunch, dinner, etc. 8 ounce shakes over. 30 minute period and then stop for a bit. Like at least half hour.

Also take your acid medicines 30 minutes before your Breakfast. You want to give it time to absorb.

I am so sorry that you are feeling so poor. It gets better. Yes, e v e r y o n e says it, but it is true. one portion of the day at a time. it gets easier and less scarey. Remember - you are a brave amazing person!!

I sure remember thinking "What HAVE I DONE!!!" but now I'm so happy with my choice. Hang in there. The surgery is a huge insult to our stomach and it takes time to adjust. And it does.

Take care of you and be gentle with yourself!

I can't believe the amount of support I've just received. I'm tearing up. Thank you all soooo much!!!!!!!!

Seriously, hang in there. I was so uncomfortable at that stage but I'm now a little over 5 months out and it's gone by in a flash. I feel AMAZING. I would never go back, for anything!

Edited by Quest4TheNewMe

Awww... Sorry to hear you're feeling so discouraged! I am scheduled for surgery May 8th! When I think of the "ifs" I get very scared but I have to stay hopeful and keep my eyes on the prize! All I can say is breath in, breath out and take one day at a time! Please keep us updated!!!

Chin up and stay strong. I promise, I was right there with you 5 weeks ago and now I'm an unstoppable machine!

The first week sucked for me too but about 10-12 days in I noticed a huge improvement.

Best of luck and don't look back. Soon you will see the results. Old clothes that didn't fit look cute now and I'm fully energized.

Just be patient and stay positive, this too shall pass!

My mood was really low after surgery & my psychiatrist (I see one regularly) told me it was due to anesthesia.. Apparently it can last awhile depending on what combination they used & everyone's response is different. I'm a month out now & I'm so much better.

It will get better.. You just need to heal.. <3 :hugs: