Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Completely Frustrated

I am 3 weeks out. My surgeon progresses his patients very quickly with eating. I did 4 days of clears then 4 days "squishy" and now I can have anything except red meat, fresh fruit & veggies and anything carbonated until my next appointment in one week. Everyone I know that had this done said they were not hungry and people eating in front of them didn't bother them. I've been hungry since 4 days postop. People eating bothers me. I've been very vigilant until today. My weight isn't dropping. I feel like I did this for nothing. And I ate chocolate today. Almost a whole Dove bunny. Am I some kind of freak and something is wrong with my sleeve? I'm in pain from a pinched nerve and super emotional today. I'm just looking for someone to tell me I'm not alone and it will be okay. I just want to be healthy and thin.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time right now. 3 weeks out is still very, very early in the game. Yes, things will change, and yes, things will get better.

My first suggestion would be to speak with your surgeon and express your concerns about being hungry. If you have one, you should also speak with your nutritionist. They hopefully can guide you into a much healthier eating pattern. If seeing other people eating is really affecting you, then you may have to remove yourself from where they are eating until you can get your situation under control.

Hopefully you have a team of medical professionals that you can turn to. Whatever you do, don't try to do this yourself. Express what you are feeling and what you are dealing with to them. That's what they are there for.

Wishing you the best of luck on this very difficult journey.

Besides the bunny what did you eat today? For some people the restriction and sense of fullness doesn't occur until they are on solid foods. Do you log your food? I find it help me plan my day and I think in a way it's reassuring knowing I will eat good, solid food. Assuming you are on a PPI and you are feeling hunger not acid are you trying to eat 3 meals a day or several small ones? I go back and forth. Some day I can eat 3 meals and be satisfied, other days I need that afternoon snack. Either way, touch base with your team, express your concerns and see what suggestions they have for you. As for the social eating situations, it may be best to avoid those for now. It's a mental thing so just wait until you feel ready to handle it.

Most importantly, you are not broken. This is just a small bump in the road.

Hang in there. Everybody is different. I too myself was sleeved 8 days ago and am trying to adjust to different things. For me it's mainly a mental game. The mental hunger, the desires for foods I ate before. I personally have become comfortable with others eating and I am not. It's not easy, but just try to keep the focus on you and your goals. I have had a lot of luck with premiere Protein Shakes from Sam's club. It helps to make me feel fuller and cut cravings. Do you have a Protein Shake you like?

I log everything in myfitnesspal. I usually eat Breakfast, a midmorning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner plus at least one Protein Shake. Just started a PPI on Monday. Was home sick today and just grazed all day. I had to talk to a nutritionist only once as part of my clearance. I do feel full when I eat meat or cheese. Today was definitely not my norm. Eating with people is unavoidable for me. I just feel let down because I thought at least some of the demons I battled before surgery were gone but every one still remains.

Hang in there. Everybody is different. I too myself was sleeved 8 days ago and am trying to adjust to different things. For me it's mainly a mental game. The mental hunger, the desires for foods I ate before. I personally have become comfortable with others eating and I am not. It's not easy, but just try to keep the focus on you and your goals. I have had a lot of luck with premiere Protein Shakes from Sam's club. It helps to make me feel fuller and cut cravings. Do you have a Protein Shake you like?

I drink the Premier Protein drinks also and nectar fuzzy navel Protein Powder.

It just takes time. You didn't put the weight on overnight and you won't lose it overnight. We all have bad days or little bumps in the road.. It's normal. Try making small goals for yourself. See the victories in your accomplishments throughout the day, no matter how small you think it may be.. Give yourself some credit and don't be so hard on yourself. We are our own worst judge and critic sometime. Keep your head up!

I have never had the nectar fuzzy navel protein.. I am looking for some other Protein Shakes to mix it up. I have had some luck with just the powder and Carbmaster vanilla flavored milk. That's pretty good too!

I think that if you use the Protein drinks for a couple of weeks (3 per day) and get in your 64 oz of Water, you will be too full to be concerned with what other people are eating.

Also, it sounds like your doctor isn't too concerned with your stomach healing. You need to remember that your stomach is still in the healing process and introducing new foods with different consistencies at too rapid pace is not good. Even though "he" said it's okay, you can still make up your own mind to take things slowly.

I hope you will learn to handle yourself around people who are eating things that you can't right now. Remember, eventually you will be able to eat what everyone else is eating, in moderation.

I have never had the nectar fuzzy navel protein.. I am looking for some other Protein Shakes to mix it up. I have had some luck with just the powder and Carbmaster Vanilla flavored milk. That's pretty good too!

Out of all the Nectar flavors, fuzzy navel is my favorite. You can buy a sample pack that contains one of each flavor they make to try them all.

I really wish you had been on the PPI from day 1. I swear once you get the dosage right it makes all the difference in the world. At least half that hunger you are feeling is likely to have been acid. Anyway, don't beat yourself up over 1 day. Just don't let one off day turn into another.

I really wish you had been on the PPI from day 1. I swear once you get the dosage right it makes all the difference in the world. At least half that hunger you are feeling is likely to have been acid. Anyway, don't beat yourself up over 1 day. Just don't let one off day turn into another.

Thanks! I appreciate the support!

Hang in there! My "demons" were very much still there in my first few weeks after surgery and I definitely found myself worrying that "something was wrong" with ME or my sleeve. Now I am 8 weeks out and I can tell you that my demons are drifting further & further away each day. I will always be aware of them and make sure they don't creep back, but they are soooo much more manageable now.

You have got this, trust yourself and trust the process. This WORKS even when we have occasional "bites" of imperfection. Congratulations and best of luck to you!

I'm so sorry to hear your struggles and no, you're not a freak. All is not lost. I'm 6 weeks out and still feel my stomach healing. Love chocolate too (like crazy) and have to keep it out of the house or else. The Protein shakes and the Water will help. Have you talked with your primary doctor on what's happening? Recommend to get with a good counselor or therapist in your area too. This is a huge change for us and as a therapist myself, can't do it alone. I've reached out to address on what's really causing my cravings since it's nothing medical.

Hang in there. The journey just began and dreams at healthier living and future can come true. Do not give up. Everyday is new day. You can do this...????????????????

Edited by Giana Aline

I really appreciate everyone's comments and support. Thank you!