Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2015 SIPS patients

Welcome! Do you have your surgery date yet?

Thanks Shell! I actually go this afternoon to schedule. Super excited!

Got my surgery date...June 17th is the big day! Time to start the pro-op diet now, I'm a little nervous but I know it's all going to be worth it in the end!

Edited by nueva919

I am also a band wannabe! I thought about trying 1 last diet too, then I took a good hard look at myself and said "What makes me think I'll keep the weight off this time?" I wasn't able to keep it off the last 50 diets...why did I think #51 would be different. I'm tired of the rollercoaster. I'm ready to be healthy FOR LIFE.

I also have thoughts about the surgery...but it really seems minor compared to all the other stuff I've put myself through with different diets! My body has been through the ringer with all the different diets from starvation to cabbage Soup (and everything inbetween). At least the band procedure will be monitored very closely by a competent doctor and surgical team! It will be over in a matter of hours and then I will be on my way to a new healthy lifestyle that involves healthy CONTROLLED eating and exercise! YEAH!

Marsha

Congratulations! Keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you for the updates on SIPS.

I am supposed to be at insurance right now. United Healthcare so if all goes well I should here something next week. I am a patient of Dr Tyner out of Cary working in my hometown. This has been a 2 year process to get to this point. Took me two years of meeting seminars and finally going to the clinic for what I thought was a research trip. BUT ended up being lets do this thing. So here we are right at 3 months later and so ready to go. I got buggered up with some off lab readings and spent the last month trying get those right with an Endo Dr. Once we had them right it took 2 weeks for a release letter to get from one dr to the other. Talk about POed... i was about to give up and got the call last week all was ready for insurance. So know I am waiting again and dieting too. Trying to get below 300 before surgery with a goal weight of >200lbs post surgery. So thanks for the post and forums.

If i can get some of those cool tracking apps/add ins let me know.

Any SIPS folks out there that are having issues with bile reflux? I am 3 months post op and down 60 pounds already. I thought everything was great until I had to have an EGD and found out that the excess bile now being produced has caused inflammation & irritation in my stomach and esophagus. I never had any type of reflux prior to surgery. At my follow up appointment recently I was informed that BCBS had stopped paying for the surgery. My coworker called today to set appointment to meet surgeon and schedule date, and was asked if she was sure that SIPS was her choice because they are having issues with it. Anyone else hearing anything similar? This would have been great to know three months ago!

Any SIPS folks out there that are having issues with bile reflux? I am 3 months post op and down 60 pounds already. I thought everything was great until I had to have an EGD and found out that the excess bile now being produced has caused inflammation & irritation in my stomach and esophagus. I never had any type of reflux prior to surgery. At my follow up appointment recently I was informed that BCBS had stopped paying for the surgery. My coworker called today to set appointment to meet surgeon and schedule date, and was asked if she was sure that SIPS was her choice because they are having issues with it. Anyone else hearing anything similar? This would have been great to know three months ago!

I was scheduled to have SIPS with Dr. Enochs in Cary, NC and have been postponed as NC BCBS is no longer covering SIPS. My co-worker, with the same insurance, had it done about two months ago. NC BCBS is now considering SIPS to be an experimental/investigational procedure. I have a meeting with Enochs next week but have already started looking into duodenal switch with Dr. Sudan in Durham.

Any SIPS folks out there that are having issues with bile reflux?

I'm almost 3 months and so far all has been good. I've had no complications (knock on wood) of any sort. My weight loss has been pretty steady. Interesting how insurance differs so much. I have BCBS IL and not a problem at all. No three or six month observed period, just the standard pre-op testing.

@@maggie876, I just had the SIPS surgery done June 8, 2015 with Dr. Jon Bruce. I don't have any issues with bile reflux. Although, I did have a hiatal hernia that was repaired during surgery. I had no idea I had one! I originally wanted the gastric sleeve, then read the information on SIPS and chose to go with the SIPS. My insurance approved it no problem ( United Healthcare). My surgery date was originally June 1st. Then I got a call from Dr. Bruces office saying that I couldn't have the SIPS done because of something with REX hospital that I didn't quite understand, what I did understand was that REX wasn't going to do the SIPS anymore because they wouldn't be covered by insurances because SIPS was still considered "investigational". I then decided to get the gastric sleeve, went back to the office to re-sign papers, etc.. and new surgery date was June 8th. A couple days before surgery, I get another call from surgery coordinator saying I needed to thank Christy, Insurance coordinator because she spoke with my insurance and now I was able to have the SIPS surgery at REX!!! I didn't even question it! You may want to speak to Christy about what the deal is with the insurance to find out exactly what's going on. Perhaps she can shed some light on things for you.

Hello all! I was wondering if there are any people scheduled for the new SIPS procedure. I am scheduled for May 12th with Dr. Tyner. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I have never had a surgery before and I am hoping for a smooth surgery and recovery.

I also have Dr. Tyner and just got my surgery date this morning for August 18th and will be having the SIPS procedure. I too have never had surgery and am nervous and excited all in one????. They had to resubmit to my insurance company because I was originally submitted as RNY, but since the procedure is covered I don't foresee any issues with approval. I hope you're still doing well @@Bbyblueyez!