Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2015 SIPS patients

Hello all! I was wondering if there are any people scheduled for the new SIPS procedure. I am scheduled for May 12th with Dr. Tyner. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I have never had a surgery before and I am hoping for a smooth surgery and recovery.

Hi there, I had the SADI (SIPS) on April 1st! I had a smooth surgery and a relatively easy recovery so far. I had some post surgery nausea (just the sick feeling) that they quickly got under control with a cocktail of meds. My surgery was on a Wednesday and I went home Saturday afternoon. The doc gave me the choice to stay another night if I wanted but the next day was Easter and I wanted to be home with my children and family. I really only had one or two episodes of nausea when I got home that I took medication for. I never needed my pain meds when I got home (though I did take a dose the first two evenings before bed to help with sleep.

As with everyone's surgeries, it is a struggle at first to get you liquids and Protein in. Do the best you can it gets easier! I kept telling myself as I choked down another Protein shake that Protein is the most vital element in the healing of my body and if I wanted to feel better faster I had to do it (just like a job). Some days it would take me 3-4 hours to drink an 11oz Premier Protein, but that's okay as long as you do it.

Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery. I'd be more than happy to chat with you more about the procedure if you want.

Best,

Michelle

Thanks Michelle! I'm glad to hear you are doing great! I know I need to make Protein a priority for recovery and I heard it helps with Hair loss from the weight loss. I'm excited and talking on here helps a lot to see there are other people that have had successful surgeries. Now the count down begins! I start my liver reduction liquid diet next week.

What's your liver reduction diet?

@@sjules If you browse the boards enough you will see that doctor's pre-op diets vary greatly from extremely restrictive (3-5 Protein shakes/day for 2-3 weeks and Clear Liquids for 3 days) to no diet at all.

My diet started two weeks prior to surgery. I had two high Protein shakes/day and a one meal could be a lean protein (4 oz) and a cup or so of non-starchy vegetables, low fat and no carbs. Additionally, I could have a salad with my meal if I chose. To stave off hunger beyond drinking tons of Water, I could add an addition protein shake or handful of raw nuts.

The day before surgery was strictly Clear Liquids and nothing after midnight.

The SADI-S/Loop, or more fully, "Single Anastomosis Duodeno-Ileal Bypass with Sleeve Gastrectomy", is an experimental weight loss procedure which involves a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy paired with an end-to-side duodeno-ileal diversion.

Given that the SADI/Loop (also called SIPS) is a new surgery, the long term weight loss results and other outcomes and side effects are not yet known.

I haven't been able to find an independent published study that describes results or concerns beyond 3 years out and/or with a large sample size. If anyone comes across one, please share!

The SADI-S/Loop, or more fully, "Single Anastomosis Duodeno-Ileal Bypass with Sleeve Gastrectomy", is an experimental weight loss procedure which involves a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy paired with an end-to-side duodeno-ileal diversion.

Given that the SADI/Loop (also called SIPS) is a new surgery, the long term weight loss results and other outcomes and side effects are not yet known.

I haven't been able to find an independent published study that describes results or concerns beyond 3 years out and/or with a large sample size. If anyone comes across one, please share!

It is not considered experimental any longer and hasn't for at least the past year and half to two years. There are actually several well documented papers from Europe in France and Spain where the procedure was introduced. My particular doctor has been perfoming the SADI for over two years with great sucess. It is safer than the traditional DS in several aspects and I do not suffer the side effects of diarehea or gas that most DS patients complain about. While the actual surgery only dates pack to about 2008 the results have been very positive, which is what is important. In medicine it is always about improving the procedures for safety while obtaining the best results. It is just another stepping stone in improving WLS from the old days of stomach stapling.

I don't have problems with gas or diarrhea. I'm 9 months post op and it's great. No dumping syndrome. The problem with the SADI is the digestive juices have to defy gravity and there is a documented risk of intestinal necrosis that never happens with traditional DS. That just sounds not worth the risk.

I don't have problems with gas or diarrhea. I'm 9 months post op and it's great. No dumping syndrome. The problem with the SADI is the digestive juices have to defy gravity and there is a documented risk of intestinal necrosis that never happens with traditional DS. That just sounds not worth the risk.

Not going to argue one procedure over another as I do not have a medical license and my descions were made with my doctor, nurse and a variety of peer reviewed articles on the subject. I don't claim any procedure is better than another. However, I will contend that intestinal necrosis is a risk with ALL WLS to include banding and with each it is a <%1 risk that is widely published in everything I've read along with fistulas and other complications. The majority of them are considered rare. To me that is a more than acceptable risk when the benefits of weight loss are so much greater. Remember we are here to support one another not challenge surgery type decisions.

Edited by ShellMilliner

My SIPS surgery is on Tuesday may 12th in a few days... It's all becoming more and more surreal... I'm scared and excited... I have a great support system and I look forward to the new me! Any suggestions about nervousness leading up to the day? I find myself getting nervous the closer it gets... And the missed emotions don't help lol

@@sjules If you browse the boards enough you will see that doctor's pre-op diets vary greatly from extremely restrictive (3-5 Protein shakes/day for 2-3 weeks and Clear liquids for 3 days) to no diet at all.

My diet started two weeks prior to surgery. I had two high Protein shakes/day and a one meal could be a lean protein (4 oz) and a cup or so of non-starchy vegetables, low fat and no carbs. Additionally, I could have a salad with my meal if I chose. To stave off hunger beyond drinking tons of Water, I could add an addition Protein shake or handful of raw nuts.

The day before surgery was strictly clear liquids and nothing after midnight.

How much have you lost and when did you have your surgery? I'm planning on having the gastric sleeve

but would love to know more about the SAP.

**SIPS

@@tcon I'd be more than happy to tell you about my experience.

I lost 13 lbs pre-op and 32 pounds since my surgery on April 1st. I hit the dreaded week 3 plateau and it lasted a little over 2 weeks, but the scale is moving again!

I would love to hear more and know why you decided that was your best options. Are you having any problems? Acid reflux? Recover time? Energy level? How long were you out of work?

@@tcon I originally was thinking the sleeve but based on my BMI was over 50, extremely high triglyceride levels, high cholesterol and sleep apena the SADI would provide me the quickest route to lowering my triglycerides. The practice I used no longer performs LapBand because of the long term failures leading to revision, they still perform RNY (in some cases) but VSG and SADI (they don't do the full DS) are the most common procedures. I liked the idea of less time under anesthesia and a better recovery. I was under for about 3 hours, it was performed laproscopiclly using the DiVinci Robot.

I have no acid reflux, but I was never prone to it or GERD prior to the surgery. I've really only had the the same problems that just about everyone experiences. Mild depression, trouble getting in Protein and Water at first. I did discover pork roast does not sit well (TMI about 2 hours later I had severe gas cramps). Other than that I've been able to handle all the other foods I've tried so far (seafood, chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, deli meat/cheese, yogurt). About 2 weeks ago I did start to get an aversion to my premier Protein drinks and most others. I think it is more a head issue now. It turned my stomach the first time so I think every time I've had them since my brain is remembering feeling nauseated and causing me to feel nauseous. I have never thrown up since my surgery, although I have had episodes of nausea. The first day I was allowed soft foods I was craving crab legs. They were delicious and evidently I didn't know when to stop and ate past my full point...yep it didn't feel good for about an hour or more. More TMI: I haven't experienced any of the yucky stuff (diarrhea or excessive gas). Yes, I've had gas but not anymore than normal, I have very regular BMs usually once in the morning and sometimes one in the evening. My doctor said gas and diarrhea mainly come from consuming too much carbs and fats. He recommends sticking to no more than 40 grams/day of each and to make sure to get the 80-100 grams of protein/day.

Recovery: I took three weeks off of work, but could have been back in two. I really had no pain,I was well covered in the hospital and I took my tylenol with codine the first couple of days I was home just to help me sleep. I alternated sleeping in bed propped up on a wedge pillow and on the recliner. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and it wasn't until around 3.5 weeks that I was comfortable on my side.

Tiredness: I was tired especially during the first three weeks. Sleep is very important for the healing process so I did take naps and went to bed "early" for me. I'm normally a bed around midnight up at six person, but I would go to bed around 9 for a few weeks. Once I got back to work the daytime tiredness seemed to fade away. I think staying busy made all the difference. I was tired by the end of the week when I got home and did an early bed time. I just started my 3rd week back at work and all has been great. I also walked around EPCOT with my husband at 2 weeks post surgery (that kinda pushed it and took it out of me, but the change of scenery was nice). Last week (5 weeks post op) I spent the entire day with my family (including my 2 year old son) at the Kennedy Space Center walking around. I did fine and felt great.

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I'll see my surgeon Friday and plan on discussing other/the best option for me. I'll keep you posted. I don't know if I can miss three weeks of work. ???? Thanks again.