Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The place I plan on going through only has a 2 night stay and you head home on the 3rd afternoon. A flight from Houston to San Diego is about 3 hours both ways but the only flights that I can find have a one hour layover in Phoenix. One hour from San Diego to Phoenix and then the last two from Phoenix to Houston.

I did a search and saw that people recommended moving your legs and feet, getting up to walk and buying compression socks.

Does anyone else have any other tips? The thought of blood clots makes me extremely nervous and I haven't really seen many people talk about the flight back home.

Edit: Also, did anyone let their flight know ahead of time that they were going to be a surgery patient coming back so they could board earlier and get situated easier?

Edited by RellaBelle

I got an aisle seat for my flights home so I had easy access to get up and walk around. Just made a couple of trips to the bathroom when the drink cart wasn't in the way.

You shouldn't need any special access or accommodations for boarding. You likely won't be in much pain. All I did was ask someone near me if they would mind putting my bag in the overhead compartment for me. I just said "I just had surgery. Would you mind lifting my bag for me?" and everyone was very helpful. I didn't bring a checked bag with me for my VSG surgery, but when I had plastics several years ago, I did pretty much the same thing. Just asked someone near me at the baggage claim conveyor if they could grab the bag off the belt for me. I was sure to bring bags with wheels for both carry-ons and checked bags!

@@JamieLogical, Thanks for the information. My husband will be coming with me so bags won't be an issue but an aisle seat is a good idea. Did you bring compression socks/stockings or was that not really necessary?

I flew 3 days after my bypass and had to take multiple flights and had hours and hours of layovers. Didn't get home till 10 pm that night. It was a long day but not a lot of pain. Make sure to have ur pain meds in your purse so you can take them on time. I just had Water all day till I got home and had some Jello. I didn't seem to need any compression stockings.

@@JamieLogical, Thanks for the information. My husband will be coming with me so bags won't be an issue but an aisle seat is a good idea. Did you bring compression socks/stockings or was that not really necessary?

When I went to TJ for plastics several years ago, I was provided with stocking and compression garments, which I wore. When I had my sleeve done in September, I was given compression stockings, but my surgeon removed them, because the elastic was really cutting into my calves, so I didn't wear any on that trip home.

The place I plan on going through only has a 2 night stay and you head home on the 3rd afternoon. A flight from Houston to San Diego is about 3 hours both ways but the only flights that I can find have a one hour layover in Phoenix. One hour from San Diego to Phoenix and then the last two from Phoenix to Houston.

I did a search and saw that people recommended moving your legs and feet, getting up to walk and buying compression socks.

Does anyone else have any other tips? The thought of blood clots makes me extremely nervous and I haven't really seen many people talk about the flight back home.

Edit: Also, did anyone let their flight know ahead of time that they were going to be a surgery patient coming back so they could board earlier and get situated easier?

If your worried about blood clots talk to your surgeon or co-ordination about blood thinners before you start your travel from home

Like Jamie Logical, I was given compression stockings to wear. I was also given blood thinners. I travelled alone and just asked for help lifting my carry on. During your flight, walk the aisles and don't get a wheelchair in the airport.....the more you walk the better. If you have a good surgeon, you won't be in any pain and won't need one. I did a couple miles worth of laps while waiting to board and during my layover. I also had a 5 hour drive after my flight and I stopped a couple times to get out and walk. I brought pedialyte (yes, security let me bring 2 full bottles) and propel packets to add to Water and I found Muscle Milk in the airport snack shops.

@@RellaBelle

One hour layovers may be your friend. I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for my surgery and my layover is 36 minutes and I'm so scared I'm going to miss my connecting flight.

Plus, more time allows you to eat like Soup or what not and get some exercise in because there is still threat of blood clots and you need to be up and walking to help lesson the chance of them forming.

I'm from Montreal and will be taking two 3 to 4 hour flights to get to San Diego. I bought some personnally fitted compression socks for the trip...I'm also worried about the blood clots!!!

I was worried about my cross country red-eye trip but in my case it was over 3 full days since the operation and I got a lot of walking in during those 3 days. For the trip I did make sure to have only roll-ons, checked one and got the aisle seat to get up and stretch/walk when possible.