Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

low BMI trying to switch from band to sleeve

I have a band that I've have had since 2009. I went from 258 to 150. I'm now back up to 186. My band is awful worst thing I could do I vomit all the time I'm so frustrated. Today my doctor asked if I would consider switching to a sleeve or bypass. My BMI is 30 so I'm not sure insurance will cover it. Peoples thoughts if they like the procedure would help a lot ( I cannot see what I'm typing it shows up when I post so I'm sorry for the errors)

Edited by eileenrae

After hearing so many nightmare stories of the band, I never even considered it. I do not regret having the sleeve done, it has allowed my diabetes to go into remission (which is the number one reason I did this surgery). I suggest you use the search feature (in the upper right-hand corner of the page) to find answers for this; so many have contributed, and many are finding what is right for them this way. Good luck to you!

I have a band that I've have had since 2009. I went from 258 to 150. I'm now back up to 186. My band is awful worst thing I could do I vomit all the time I'm so frustrated. Today my doctor asked if I would consider switching to a sleeve or bypass. My BMI is 30 so I'm not sure insurance will cover it. Peoples thoughts if they like the procedure would help a lot ( I cannot see what I'm typing it shows up when I post so I'm sorry for the errors)

. I'm in the pre-op stage of being SLEEVED. I've been BANDED twice. First in 2010 then again in 2014. The first band slipped twice so I replaced it instead of being SLEEVED because #1 I was afraid of being SLEEVED (although it was suggested) #2 I lost 100 lbs with the BAND & thought why would I switch. Now after a year & few months I'm having issues with tightness & gerd. I keep going up & down with the fills which is not good. My BMI is under 30 but my Insurance will pay because I'm having same symptoms as first time plus more & I cannot tolerate fills. So all ins & my Doctor requires is an EGD (my last one was 2010) also Labwork & EKG. My EGD is on April 30th. I exercise & still eat small portions & Protein Shakes everyday. My PCP & Bariatric Surgeon calls me their star patient, because I'm not giving up or giving in to old bad eating habits. Sooooooooooo that's my story & I've done lots of research on the SLEEVE & I know this is for me. I've also been to two support groups which wasn't asked or required. I felt that "I" needed to do that for me.

. I'm in the pre-op stage of being SLEEVED. I've been BANDED twice. First in 2010 then again in 2014. The first band slipped twice so I replaced it instead of being SLEEVED because #1 I was afraid of being SLEEVED (although it was suggested) #2 I lost 100 lbs with the BAND & thought why would I switch. Now after a year & few months I'm having issues with tightness & gerd. I keep going up & down with the fills which is not good. My BMI is under 30 but my Insurance will pay because I'm having same symptoms as first time plus more & I cannot tolerate fills. So all ins & my Doctor requires is an EGD (my last one was 2010) also Labwork & EKG. My EGD is on April 30th. I exercise & still eat small portions & Protein shakes everyday. My PCP & Bariatric Surgeon calls me their star patient, because I'm not giving up or giving in to old bad eating habits. Sooooooooooo that's my story & I've done lots of research on the SLEEVE & I know this is for me. I've also been to two support groups which wasn't asked or required. I felt that "I" needed to do that for me.
. Oh yeah I started at 268 lbs in 2010 & today I am 169 lbs

I had a revision on April 1st,2015 my BMI was 31 and the insurance approved the revision without problems.

Im doing GREAT!!! Loving my sleeve :)

I'm having a revision done on 5/4. I started at 230 lbs and got banded in Mexico in 2007. I dropped as low as 119 pounds because I threw up so much. I couldn't even get Water to go through much of the time. I had the band unfilled in 2010 and my weight bounced up and down between 120 and 170 depending on whether I let myself starve because I couldn't get healthy foods through the band or I gave up and ate crackers and cheetos and popcorn (which for some reason would go through the band).

My insurance (Kaiser) approved the revision to a sleeve because of the problems with the band. An upper GI showed it hadn't slipped but was too tight, even unfilled. I was afraid they would say no because I weighed 145 when I first started this revision process but they approved it. I actually gained 10 pounds during the Pre Op classes because I had to travel so far to get to the classes that my exercise program fell apart.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone here. I've been living with the band and the throwing up and the problems for so long. I looking forward to drinking Water, even if it's just little sips.

Document your problems and see a doctor. If you're having problems they might say yes to the revision.

I went to a surgeon this past february 2015 for a second opinion. After getting EGD done it was discovered that my band had started to mildly slip down. Surgeon suggested a revision to sleeve or RNY. Insurance approved revision even though my BMI is at 28.4. Insurance stated that since band started to slip plus GERD is present they deemed it as medically necessary regardless of my BMI. I suggest to ask surgeon because I did come across one surgeon who would not do a revision because BMI is under 30..

Its weird. When i was at my last apt with surgeon he suggested it, due to increasing problems with my lapband. I had an upper gi done today. When i called the surgical coordinator she said no surgeon would do it I was under 35. But what the heck I worked hard to lose this weight. I hope when I go back to see xray results Ill get more information.

I am a lap-band revision to sleeve. I had a lot of problems with the band (slips and lots of constant pain) but never vomiting. The band just wasn't the best solution for me.

I am much happier with the sleeve. No pain and for me it's easier to eat right foods and just a little bit.

BUT I do vomit and have acid reflux with the sleeve. I probably vomit 1-2 times a week. Either from eating too fast or too much. Too much is just a few little bites too much. To fast, well I got too hungry and eat too fast. Also, I had a lot of trouble early on with the sleeve and vomiting. Even vomited brushing my teeth early on.

Even with this I love my sleeve. It is so much easier for me. The band was always a problem. With the sleeve I eat like a little bird. 3-4 small meals a day and a few Protein drinks. I am losing weight at a good pace, I haven't cheated and just a little Protein like 2 ounces of chicken or 1 egg and I'm full for hours. I NEVER had that with the band.

Best wishes on your journey.

I also have a low BMI.... Dr. had no problem revising to sleeve (May 21, 2015...in 21 days). Actually he said he does so many of these due to the problems. He doesn't so the band anymore. Can't wait.

My doc used to do band removal and then wait for healing and do sleeve. Now if at all possible he does the removal of the band and the sleeve in the same surgery. He said it seems easier on the patient then 2 surgeries and he can usually get the band out pretty fast. My surgery was 3 hours.

There is no way I was going to have it in two surgeries. I was only wiling for them to do their best to do the revision in one. And thankfully that is how it went.

I had a revision on April 1st,2015 my BMI was 31 and the insurance approved the revision without problems.

how are you doing with the Sleeve?? I had my EGD yesterday & my Doctor said everything looked good & he will proceed with Band removable to SLEEVE. I will get my surgery date when I go see him on the 11th. WOOT!! WOOT! I feel like dancing. Yeah Boy!!!! Lol

how are you doing with the Sleeve?? I had my EGD yesterday & my Doctor said everything looked good & he will proceed with Band removable to SLEEVE. I will get my surgery date when I go see him on the 11th. WOOT!! WOOT! I feel like dancing. Yeah Boy!!!! Lol

I'm doing great, lost 29 lbs. I wish I had the sleeve first instead of the band!