Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who all did you tell?

Initially, I only told very few... I was worried about the haters. But now I a!like 72 pounds down and feel so great I really don't care what people think or say. I have had more people say what I did has motivated them to make changes. Makes me feel even better. Enjoy your health and remember surgery just gave you a tool to lose...your are still putting forth the effort to use it!

I made my decision and had only talked about it with my husband, my kids and 2 very close family friends. As I grew accustomed to the decision, I did tell the rest of my family. People at work did not know before the surgery, but as I started losing weight I did tell a few people that I had WLS - people close to me. Eventually I was more open about it but I have still not posted about it on Facebook or anything. I did post a before/ after picture when I hit 90 lbs down - because I was just so stinking happy about it. A few friends messaged me and asked what I had been doing with such success and I told them my story. I do not shout from the rooftops but I do tell someone if they ask. I am not ashamed and I tell people the truth - this is not the easy way out. It is a fantastic tool, but not a simple fix. I think it has helped me with the lifestyle changes that I have made but my surgery does not stop me from eating ice cream every night...but the fact that I am not really "hungry" or craving sugar the way I did before makes a huge difference.

I understand both sides...I want everyone with a weight problem to know about this option, but I also am a pretty private person at heart.

I'll be honest and say I'm ashamed of myself for having to resort to WLS to handle my problem.

The only person at work who knows is my boss, and that was only so he would know in case something went wrong.

The only person in my family I told was my baby brother, and it was for the same reason. I needed him to tell our mother in case something happened.

My children don't even know. The oldest (8) saw my scars and I told him I got in a knife fight. :)

Other than that, no one knows. They all just think I went to Mexico for a week and laid on the beach.

Who did you tell and why?

Same here. My boyfriend and my daughter who is 20. My son (11) doesn't know. No parents or siblings.

My boyfriend had the surgery at the same time, his daughter took care of us. I told my daughter in case something happened to me.

I'm also embarrassed to admit I resorted to wls.

I have told 4 people. My husband..my 23rd year old son my best friend and the manager at work as it is my business and she will need to run UT while I am gone. Everyone was supportive except my husband. No surprises there..

It took couples therapy for him to realize that this was my decision alone...not his and I was doing it no mater what. It was a tough go for the marriage but he finally accepted the fact that I was doing this and he said he would support me...not with a smile bit he did finally say the words.

The lack of education on his part let in his fears that I would never eat again.

We don't discuss it much at all but I know it's the elephant in the room...but I again going on June 17th and I am going alone...he will stress me out haha

I didn't tell him it was again ml one secret I told him it was my private decision. ..if and when if would tell people....right now everyone thinks I am going to a health and wellness spa with my best friend :)

How people decide to deal is a personal matter and what works for each person will only help them in their journey :)

Good luck to everyone

I'm only telling my mother who is going with me and having it done the same day!

It's no one business!!

People are mean nasty and judgy and I don't have time for that!!!

My BMI is on the lower side and I don't want to hear "oh you don't need it" or "just diet and exercise"

Uh clearly that's not working for me! Lol

It's really a personal choice I feel it's private. I mean do you tell everyone you meet that you are a vegetarian or don't use salt on your food etc.... or feel the need to tell them any other eating routines or health habits you have? I don't see why we would tell everyone anyway.

Hi I'm April I had the gastric sleeve..... ???? no one cares, it just opens you up for people to be negative and ugly!

My wife told a family member who proceeded to tell the entire family and we ended up the subject of the gossip circle at her church.

It's best to tell as few people as possible and make sure they understand that it's YOUR story to tell and not theirs.

I pretty much told the world. All my relatives, co-workers, the clients I deal with regularly, my friend's, the people where I board my horse. Everybody has been supportive. The only person I dreaded telling was my mother. She lives most of the way across the country from me. She can be judgemental and of course is 5'2" and 115 pounds. She has occasionally ballooned up to 125 pounds so she thinks she can tell me all about how to lose weight. I actually had to tell her a few years ago that we will not discuss weight loss or my weight.

She actually surprised me and was happy for me.

I told one coworker, my boss, my family and that is it. This is all very new for me. Honestly most folks don't really care, its just fodder for gossip. If someone is truly interested Ill spread the word (because its amazing) but other than that mums the word.

Honestly, I have a hesitation to shout from the rooftops because Im afraid Ill fail and end up right back where I started from again. Ive been excited about weight loss before... -_-

When I first made the decision I only told my immediate family, my boss and my best friends. Now I have told all of my coworkers.

I have been pretty selective with who I have told. My husband, of course, because he was my "responsible adult." I told my parents because they are super supportive. I told my boss out of necessity and a couple of co-workers. Now that I have had the surgery and had no major complications, I am telling more folks at work. There are two other coworkers who have also had WLS. However, I have completely avoided telling my mother-in-law and all the brothers and sisters. We do not see each other all that often, so I am hoping to surprise them with a healthier, trimmer me in a few weeks/months.

I tell pretty much everyone I want to tell. Of course, I keep it to myself in my professional life.

I am open on Facebook about it, and I have received lots of support and encouragement. If anyone has said anything rude or ignorant about my choice to have the surgery, it hasn't been to my face. They know better ;)

It's a personal choice in who you choose to tell or not tell, and I respect those who choose to tell just a few or nobody at all. Different strokes, man!

I told my close friends. the family knows. so far all have been supportive. haven't told my hater 'friends', or others i'm not close to.

When I first got the surgery I didn't have enough time off at work so I didn't tell them what I was doing, just that I had to have surgery. Later, I told everyone. It was pretty obvious that I'd done something because I was losing weight so quickly. Now, years later, I rarely tell anyone. Not out of embarrassment but because it doesn't come up and I don't feel like explaining myself to every single person I meet. In fact, just a couple of months ago I realized my MIL didn't know. I just never though to tell her and neither did my husband!