Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How bad is the hunger?

I'm preop getting the sleeve June 8th I'm wondering about hunger afterwards? Are you just hungry all the time? Anyone have issues with low blood sugar and feeling sick from not eating or headaches??

I did not start feeling hungry post op until about a year out. When I do feel hungry, it's a physical gnawing feeling and I do experience woozy feelings when my sugar drops. I carry almonds/cheese stick/beef Jerky in my car or bag most all the time just in case.

I can't eat much at a sitting due to my restriction so I am more of an all day grazer. I do NOT recommend this to others, but it works for me.

I also get dizzy with low blood sugar. Yes I do get hungry but it is controllable for me. Mine is not head hunger it is physical hunger because I can tell by how my body is reacting. I try to remember to carry something with me but i don't always remember. sometimes my quick errands turn into a day of clothes shopping. i just hurry up and buy things and get home to eat. i always have something in my fridge that will heat up in less than a minute. sorry i got sidetracked here. i am about 8 months out and have been hungry since about 3 months post op. its. ot a bad thing, because if i didnt get the hunger feeling i would never eat. and that is not good!

I think it is relative to people. I have seen people say they dont get hungry but I on the other hand get hungry. I will eat something and be completely unsatisfied psychologically cause I hype myself up before i take a bite of food thinking it is going to taste devine but much to my dismay I am bored very quick with eating cause it is not meeting my high expectation of food. This is all mental.

Im 6 months out and still feel no hunger and i hope this continues. I smell the delicious food, but i don't want to eat it. I really don't have an appetite and that suits me just fine. I remember watching a VSG vlog on youtube and the lady said something so poignant to me that i wrote it down and placed it on my message board above my desk. Her message was so clear to me and just made so much sense, "Food is sustenance NOT recreation" and thats exactly how i feel about food nowadays, i never thought my relationship with food would change like this, ever!

"Food is sustenance NOT recreation" and thats exactly how i feel about food nowadays, i never thought my relationship with food would change like this, ever!

Nor is it a counselor, a friendship, a partner or a good idea if you are depending on it as a source of soothing, comfort,or joy.

No hunger at all. Best part!

I am only 3 1/2 weeks post op. For me, I was hungry the first week when I was on Clear Liquids. I am sure some of it was head hunger. Now that I am on soft foods I can say I am not really hungry anymore. Yay!

That's awesome to hear!!! Good luck to you!!!

I swear I want to just sleep that first week away sleep get up walk sip fluids and sleep some more lol! That's my game plan but we will see how that goes!

I am 4 weeks post op and very rarely feel the need to eat. I notice that if I go 5-6 hours without having something, then i will feel some hunger pains and feel a little weak. I just try to make myself stay on a schedule, otherwise it will be 9pm and I would have only had a Protein shake.

The more you can detox before surgery the better. Stop sugar and caffeine now. That way when you come out of surgery, you won't even want it.

Anything to make post op easier I will do!!! Being 7 weeks out I'm making changes now trying to get ready! For example I've stopped drinking with meals which is really hard for me but i gotta get used to it so sooner sounds better than later!!! And it's one less thing that will freak me out and be hard to adjust to after lol

In my case I have hunger every few hours, however I just eat sparingly due to my restriction. For example today all I had was 2 1/2 Jumbo, panko breaded shrimps for lunch, 1 snack sized bag of Doritos as a snack 3-4 hours later and some mussles in lemon/tomato along with 1/4 of a chicken breast for dinner.

I keep several bottles of mussles in Water to munch into if I get hungry but I don't want to cook, usually I'll just eat 2 spoonfuls and that'll keep me going.

I'm 6 weeks out.

Edited by Cujucuyo