Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You sound just like me. I had my sleeve done on the fifth of this month. I'm already down almost 20 pounds from my pre-op diet start date. I considered WLS as a preventative measure as I was not getting any healthier and felt defeated by dieting. I do not feel guilty or like I took the easy way out. Ultimately, it's up tp us to make decisions about our health.

I have said this before and will say it again: I feel like those of us with a low BMI suffer from dieting fatigue. It is a scary and hopeless place to be. It may not be as bad as being morbidly obese, but it robs us of joy and is dissabling in its own way.I definitely needed a new tool and am so excited because I know it works!

Yay, for you!

Thank you guys so much for your support! It means a lot. A friend of mine is almost four weeks post op and doing great, she said she is a little mad she waited so long to get it done - more energy, wanting to work out and seeing great results already down almost 27lbs

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you guys so much for your support! It means a lot. A friend of mine is almost four weeks post op and doing great, she said she is a little mad she waited so long to get it done - more energy, wanting to work out and seeing great results already down almost 27lbs [emoji2]Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Me too! I wish I had the surgery ten years ago Your friend is having good results!! Keep us posted on your journey.

I'm so sorry that I told anyone about mt upcoming surgery. If I had it to do over again, I'd keep it a secret. I'm only 5'1/2 " and started at 207 lbs. BMI39. I have hypertension and arthritis, already had both knees replaced. My insurance required me to diet for 6 months before WLS. I've lost 33 lbs, but it is getting harder and harder to keep from eating everything in sight. All I keep hearing is that I'm doing so well that I should just stay on the diet and even if it takes years to get it off it would be healthier than the WLS. I've been on so many diets in the last 40 years only to gain it all back and then even more.I'm desperate to be able to keep it off and not feel starving all the time. I'm praying that this will finally be the help I need. All I hear is you'll just regain it anyway and you'll be sick. Wish I hadn't told anyone, especially my 88 year old mother.

I do think that you are doing an amazing job with your diet, however I believe that you deserve a break. You are suffering from "dieting fatigue". I coined this term to describe the pain of yo yo dieting. It wears a person down and leaves nothing but self loathing. It's exhausting. I was sleeved 7/5 and am already seeing results from this tool. I am down from a high weight of 215 to 177 as of today. I think we all need to acknowledge how hard we've worked all of our lives and that the dieting needs to end. Surgery is a leg up. It evens the playing field. You deserve this. Do not listed to ill informed people with outdated ideas about WLS.

I'm so sorry that I told anyone about mt upcoming surgery. If I had it to do over again, I'd keep it a secret. I'm only 5'1/2 " and started at 207 lbs. BMI39. I have hypertension and arthritis, already had both knees replaced. My insurance required me to diet for 6 months before WLS. I've lost 33 lbs, but it is getting harder and harder to keep from eating everything in sight. All I keep hearing is that I'm doing so well that I should just stay on the diet and even if it takes years to get it off it would be healthier than the WLS. I've been on so many diets in the last 40 years only to gain it all back and then even more.I'm desperate to be able to keep it off and not feel starving all the time. I'm praying that this will finally be the help I need. All I hear is you'll just regain it anyway and you'll be sick. Wish I hadn't told anyone, especially my 88 year old mother.

Less than 5% of obese people who lose weight keep it off long term. WLS is a tool to be able to help you lose and maintain. This shouldn't be considered a diet - it's a life style change. Don't let people bring you down - with a 39 BMI you are borderline morbidly obese. This is a chronic condition and should be treated as any other disease. Good luck on your journey!

The scary thing about the dieting is that I gain it back PLUS another 10 lbs! Yikes!!I just can't go there again. I "dieted" myself to obesity!

I know. You are not alone. It is vital to keep your decision to take care of yourself safe from people who cannot honor it. It's hard. I chose not to tell some of my best friends because I don't want to hear "concerns" or criticism. I just reached a point that I knew I couldn't diet anymore. This tool is an amazing gift. You deserve it.

Thanks all of you. It takes a person who has been there to understand and give experienced advice. thank you!

Hello Everyone!!! I had my surgery done March 11, 2015 so I've had time to see how things are going, for me at least! I started at 5'1 and 170 lbs my BMI was at 32. Cash pay was the only way for me and I would do it all over again! I now weigh 100 lbs and feel so much better! I lost 70 lbs and it happened in a total of about 9 months, reaching my goal weight @ 7 months! So anyone with a low BMI can do this!!!!!!! Good luck to all

Congrats! That's fantastic!!

Can you share what a regular day looks like meal-wise?

I am struggling with a stall. Been about 3 months now... I definitely treat myself too often, and know what sort of things I need to eliminate or at least restrict more, but it's just so nice to finally be able to eat something you're craving without it resulting in a binge!

I haven't stepped on the scale for at least a month, probably longer. The scale wasn't moving and it was getting discouraging, so I've decided to just focus on how my clothes fit and how I feel.

I do work out 4-5 times a week, quite intensely, which I do think helps keep things "tight", but need to remind myself just because I burn 500 calories doesn't mean I can eat 500 calories of ice cream or crackers, etc to make up for it.

Anyways, it would be nice to see what a regular day looks like for someone that's been so successful. Please share!

I'm sorry those you confided in about your surgery aren't supporting your decision. There's risks involved in every surgery and virtually every medication. What's important is measuring the risk. The VSG is a low-risk surgery, and few people experience long-term complications. For most, it significantly improves their health. You can find medical research about the safety and the effectiveness of WLS. I don't know if that would convince your mother that it's actually a very smart decision that you're making, that will improve your health rather than harm it. There's also risks in not pursuing medical intervention. Obesity significantly contributes to so many health conditions that can shorten or even claim your life. It also just robs you of so much joy. The other poster is completely right that only a small percentage of obese people lose weight and maintain that weight loss on their own. The VSG isn't a diet fad or a quick fix.

I had the VSG in August of last year. My mom initially thought that the surgery "wasn't for me" because my BMI was low for it, but I explained that my endocrinologist had recommended it to me because other patients my size and age had benefitted from it. I have PCOS and showed her research about how the VSG has substantially helped to improve the health of women who have it. She got on board. My dad developed type 2 diabetes even though his highest BMI was just in the low 30s. This helps to reduce my risk of having it in the future. I've lost a little over 70 pounds, putting my BMI in the low 20s vs the low 30s. I've gone from a size 14 to a 4-6. I was on a series of medications for PCOS that I've gradually been able to taper off of because the weight loss has helped to improve problems. I've had zero complications. Even on the day of surgery the most pain I experienced was from my period starting and having severe cramps. I'm a professor and was back at work on my feet for most of the day within a few weeks. By 5 weeks post-op I felt well enough to bike to and from work every day instead of driving. I've lost little hair. I have absolutely no loose skin. Every fear I had pre-surgery turned out to not be valid for me. I'm in my early 30s and getting carded again. My blood test results have been excellent. Physically and mentally I feel so much better. I feel like I'm in control of my life, and it isn't being ruled by the scale or what I eat. I don't obsess about food. I don't feel deprived. In the past I'd lose 20 pounds then gain back 30. Besides the typical 2-4 pound fluctuation, I haven't had any weight gain. I've found that a lower-carb (not strict low carb) eating plan works best for my weight loss, and is surprisingly painless for me to follow. I've gone on vacation a few times where I just eat what I wish, within reason, and still have not had weight gain. I'm not daydreaming about danishes, or planning out the indulgences I'll pig out on once I've lost x amount of weight. I can actually eat Pasta, Desserts and treats without seeing a massive weight gain. The difference is that I'm satisfied with a much smaller quantity than before.

This surgery is a tremendous gift to my life. I think it will help your life, too. If your loved ones continue to be unsupportive before surgery, just use that as even more of a reason to be successful. This time next year you'll likely have lost a lot of weight and will be feeling fantastic. That will give them (and you) peace of mind. You're being proactive and taking care of yourself.

@@mrs w well I eat all day long!! It works for me, might not for others. Eat 6 small "meals" (there really not meals) cause we all know that we can't eat much!! Anyway I make sure I keep my Protein up along with lots of fluids!! So in the morning I will have one scrambled egg or hard boiled with some fruit, might have a string cheese or cottage cheese for snack. For lunch I Wil have some chicken salad or 3 meat and cheese rolled up. For a snack I will have some nuts or some fruit. For dinner it's always chicken!!!! I love chicken!!! No its not that bad, I will eat chicken or fish or pork with veggies, I love veggies! Don't care what kind! Really, I try to keep variety up in my diet. I don't count all that nonsense! Try to stay away from the breads even though I still treat myself to a flat bread or a pannin even though IT'S NOT MUCH! Variety and frequency are key for me! Eating often tells your body you won't starve it so it tends to let the fat go easier if you starve it, it will store it! Well I hope this helps at least a little, and good luck on your weight loss journey!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Did you hit any stalls at all? Did you do anything different to overcome them or just kept working the plan and eventually things started moving?

@@mrs w well I eat all day long!! It works for me, might not for others. Eat 6 small "meals" (there really not meals) cause we all know that we can't eat much!! Anyway I make sure I keep my Protein up along with lots of fluids!! So in the morning I will have one scrambled egg or hard boiled with some fruit, might have a string cheese or cottage cheese for snack. For lunch I Wil have some chicken salad or 3 meat and cheese rolled up. For a snack I will have some nuts or some fruit. For dinner it's always chicken!!!! I love chicken!!! No its not that bad, I will eat chicken or fish or pork with veggies, I love veggies! Don't care what kind! Really, I try to keep variety up in my diet. I don't count all that nonsense! Try to stay away from the breads even though I still treat myself to a flat bread or a pannin even though IT'S NOT MUCH! Variety and frequency are key for me! Eating often tells your body you won't starve it so it tends to let the fat go easier if you starve it, it will store it! Well I hope this helps at least a little, and good luck on your weight loss journey!