Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 10th!

My only concern is I have "adrenal fatigue" so worried that even with the surgery I won't lose weight. Been trying to do some research and find others that have adrenal fatigue that have had WLS, but so far haven't found anyone.

WOAH!!! I just read on what adrenal fatigue is and it sounds like the wrote my life on paper. I have been battling PTSD for years and the stress has been horrible. I'm always tired. I can sleep 4 hours or 14 hours I'll still be tired either way. I stay sick for long periods of time, I struggle to get the energy to get out of bed. I'm overwhelmed with life. But I get and energy burst around 7 or 8 pm for about an hour or two. I didn't know this was a thing....

January 10th!

My only concern is I have "adrenal fatigue" so worried that even with the surgery I won't lose weight. Been trying to do some research and find others that have adrenal fatigue that have had WLS, but so far haven't found anyone.

WOAH!!! I just read on what adrenal fatigue is and it sounds like the wrote my life on paper. I have been battling PTSD for years and the stress has been horrible. I'm always tired. I can sleep 4 hours or 14 hours I'll still be tired either way. I stay sick for long periods of time, I struggle to get the energy to get out of bed. I'm overwhelmed with life. But I get and energy burst around 7 or 8 pm for about an hour or two. I didn't know this was a thing....

Ya, my naturopath diagnosed me with it by having me do a saliva test. She recommended adrenal supplements, but then when I talked to my family doctor and another one about it they both told me to stop taking the supplements immediately. Apparently your body can get too dependent on them, and stop producing the hormones on its own.

It explains why I struggle even to lose 5 or 10 lbs now, let alone drop 20 or 30 and keep it off. Just frustrating I can't find anyone else that's in this situation and gone through with the sleeve.

17 days to go! I was planning for the 10th but flights worked out that I can fly in on the 9th and do surgery the same day!

17 days to go! I was planning for the 10th but flights worked out that I can fly in on the 9th and do surgery the same day!

Yay! I'm so excited for you! I've still got about 6-7 weeks. My other half said he wanted me to do it state side. So when my new insurance kicks in, in the beginning of the year... I'll be flying to dallas and starting the process. I feel like it's dragging by.

Do they have you on a pre op diet? How's your nerves? I forget are you doing here or Mexico?

Yay! I'm so excited for you! I've still got about 6-7 weeks. My other half said he wanted me to do it state side. So when my new insurance kicks in, in the beginning of the year... I'll be flying to dallas and starting the process. I feel like it's dragging by.

Do they have you on a pre op diet? How's your nerves? I forget are you doing here or Mexico?

6 weeks will fly by, especially with the holidays coming up!

My pre op diet is super easy. Three days of Water and yogurt. They say you can do ten days Protein shakes and chicken and salads prior to the three days pre op. Honesty I feel like I do that most days, although lately it's been bad with all the holiday treats, but I'll prob try and mostly stick to that, starting Boxing Day, but definitely starting Jan 1 I'll follow that for the six days before my yogurt diet.

I am going to Mexico. Wish there was an option in Canada or the US but with my bmi at 29, I don't even qualify for the few docs that will do the surgery on bmis of 30. And I just can't justify spending triple or quadruple the money if the doc in Mexico is rated just as good if not better.

My nerves haven't kicked in too much yet. Sometimes I read a story of someone who's had a bad experience and I wonder if I'm making the right decision, but that quickly disappears. I'm sure closer to and the day of I'll be a wreck. My husband is not coming with me, but my parents will be in San Diego at the same time so thinking they'll drive down the day of surgery just to make sure there's no serious complications. They have company flying into San Diego the next day so they'll only be able to stay one night, but they'll be close by and Trish my coordinator is suppose to be the best and surprisingly I'm not too worried about being alone.

6 weeks will fly by, especially with the holidays coming up!

My pre op diet is super easy. Three days of Water and yogurt. They say you can do ten days Protein shakes and chicken and salads prior to the three days pre op. Honesty I feel like I do that most days, although lately it's been bad with all the holiday treats, but I'll prob try and mostly stick to that, starting Boxing Day, but definitely starting Jan 1 I'll follow that for the six days before my yogurt diet.

I am going to Mexico. Wish there was an option in Canada or the US but with my bmi at 29, I don't even qualify for the few docs that will do the surgery on bmis of 30. And I just can't justify spending triple or quadruple the money if the doc in Mexico is rated just as good if not better.

My nerves haven't kicked in too much yet. Sometimes I read a story of someone who's had a bad experience and I wonder if I'm making the right decision, but that quickly disappears. I'm sure closer to and the day of I'll be a wreck. My husband is not coming with me, but my parents will be in San Diego at the same time so thinking they'll drive down the day of surgery just to make sure there's no serious complications. They have company flying into San Diego the next day so they'll only be able to stay one night, but they'll be close by and Trish my coordinator is suppose to be the best and surprisingly I'm not too worried about being alone.

That's fantastic! My bmi is around 31 or 32. I only found one clinic here in the state that would work with me. They are going to test me for a hiatal hernia and then if I have it (I'm sure I do from symptoms) my insurance should kick in and pay for the surgery to fix the hernia. While they are in there to repair it I'll pay out of pocket for the sleeve itself. I'm expecting to pay roughly about the same as I would if I went to Mexico. But if I can't do it this way then my plan is to set up a date for mexico. One way or another I'm getting this done!

I hear the recovery there is ideal! And with a beach near by it might even be relaxing! That pre op diet isn't bad, and with it being the holidays, it is hard to stick with right now, luckily you can wait till after the 1st and still be within the doctors orders! I'm excited for you! Keep me updated! And feel free to chat with me, I'm sure I'll have questions! It's good that your parents will be there with you atleast, my SO won't be coming with me either. Hes not big on hospitals :) I've come across so few that have had a bad experience that it's hard to really consider it in your decisions. :)

I am glad I fuond this thread. So many of you have so much in common with me. I tried to get it done through my hospital (I'm an NP) and my insurance but they said I had to have at least a BMI of 35 and diabetes.

I have been up and down most of my life and now at 51 am having health problems.

For people to say that a lower BMI should not do it, they need to know that people with low BMIs get type II diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, joint problems, high cholesterol and a whole host of other problems related to obesity.

I have told my mother (she had WLS in the 1970s when it was very new) and my little sister who had RNY about 13 years ago. I have never been as heavy as they were so never even considered it. When I first checked into in with my ins I told a few people and they were all like, "Good for you, but you don't seem that heavy". "Let me know if you need anything". Then my ins denied me and they all said things like, "you will be glad you did not take the easy way out" "You will feel so much better by doing it on your own" "You would have regretted it". So sometimes when people sound supportive they really are not being honest. I am not even telling my husband or adult kids.

I will be going to TJ, Mx and have surgery on 1/10 and I am so excited I ca hardly stand it!

I like reading this as I see others compared to me and it gives me kind of an idea about how fast I will lose (a ball-park anyway).

Good luck to all.

I've been doing the same! Hopefully, if all goes well, then I should be having mine sometime in mid-feb. :) you are getting close now! I'm excited for you! Keep us updated! I'd love to track your progress!

Ruralnurse - so excited for you! I too am going to Mexico alone, decided I wanted my husband to save his vacation days and us to go somewhere when I'm healed and we can enjoy it together.

My parents will be in San Diego at the same time so I expect they'll come down the day of surgery to make sure all goes well, but then they need to be back in San Diego the following day. I think it'll be nice to know they're there in case there's any complications during the surgery, but honestly I'm expecting to be in pain and not feel great the next couple days and since neither of them are pleased with my decision to go through with the sleeve, I think it's best I recover on my own the next couple days.

I have booked off 10 days of work and as far as everyone else is concerned I'm just going to visit my parents in San Diego. Besides my parents and husband, I'm not telling a soul.

I've also decided to do the single incision surgery so there's less scars and hopefully I heal well enough that physically no one will be able to notice the scar.

Hi all,

Thanks for an awesome and supportive thread. I am having surgery next Tuesday. My starting BMI is 34.5. I have high blood pressure,but not enough for meds. I am just so ready to get healthy and stop fearing the spectre of heart disease, diabetes and stroke. I work in healthcare and see it all the time.

I am self pay and having my surgery by a local doc with a cash program stateside.

I don't have any type of preoperative diet, but imagine I'll be on Clear Liquids for 24-48 hours prior to surgery.

Husband and kids know and are very supportive. I have kept my "in the know" circle small as I didn't want to deal with negativity.

Good luck to you all...wish me luck next Tuesday!

Hi all,

Thanks for an awesome and supportive thread. I am having surgery next Tuesday. My starting BMI is 34.5. I have high blood pressure,but not enough for meds. I am just so ready to get healthy and stop fearing the spectre of heart disease, diabetes and stroke. I work in healthcare and see it all the time.

I am self pay and having my surgery by a local doc with a cash program stateside.

I don't have any type of preoperative diet, but imagine I'll be on clear liquids for 24-48 hours prior to surgery.

Husband and kids know and are very supportive. I have kept my "in the know" circle small as I didn't want to deal with negativity.

Good luck to you all...wish me luck next Tuesday!

Good luck teaqueen! Keep us posted on your experience and recovery! Will be thinking of you on Tuesday!

One week away.

Think I'm pretty much ready. Mostly packed. Went and picked up some items for the liquid phase just in case I don't have much energy the first week back. Picked up some gas X strips, biotene mouth spray, eye mask and earplugs and a few travel size bathroom essentials so I don't need to check a bag.

Now to just get through the next week without my nerves taking over!

I had a low BMI but had high blood pressure , osteoporosis, knee replacement. I am only 48 years old! Was 226 lbs pre-op lost 76 lbs in 6 months.

I started with the BMI of 33 (day of surgery weight 193, 5'5" )and had my surgery October 22. I was self pay because my insurance wouldn't cover it. I have lost a little over 30 pounds so far and I'm no longer on blood pressure medicine. I had a major stall and have slowly been losing again. Totally worth every penny. I am down several sizes and feel better with more energy.

Had surgery Jan 9th. Down 16 lbs already (only lost 4 during pre op diet).

I go back to work tomorrow. Still weak and incision site is still sore, but feeling pretty good.

Been on clear liquids up until now. Tomorrow I can start thicker Protein Shakes and cream Soups, etc. I know the weight loss will slow right down once I start adding in some of those things, but I'm okay with that. My goal is to lose another 7 pounds between now and end of February. Although I would love for it to be closer to 12, I know I need to be realistic. Sounds like most people stall once they get to the purée stage, and that stall can last for a number of weeks.