Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tried to go into the conversation with the attitude of knowing he wouldn't like the idea because he'd see it as the most dangerous option but trying to make sure he understood I felt like I had exercised all other reasonable options and it was a choice between struggle and fail forever or do this and succeed. Which is exactly how I DID feel!!

I did it! And he was totally on board with it. His biggest thing was making sure I knew he'd love me either way and then flipping out when I said I wanted to do it in Mexico (hes worried about crime) thank you! It took me a while but I kept your comments in mind and it turned out much better than expected!

I'm planning to talk to my mom tonight about my decision. I know she isn't going to be happy. I've briefly mentioned before that I want it and she brushed it off and told me I need to just start being happy with how I am. I know I'll feel much better just to get it off my chest that I've made up my mind, and if she doesn't support it I guess I'll just avoid the topic in the future. I know both her and my dad would be pretty upset if I did this without telling them, so I'm at least giving them the option to support me or ignore that it's going to happen.

Aiming for surgery January 6th. I don't plan on telling anyone else and I think I can probably get away with it if I do it at the start of the year. Everyone is always on a diet after New Years it seems, at least I always am, so my friends and the rest of my family won't think it's anything out of the ordinary.

How did your talk go?

yay!! so glad! it really does warm my heart, we will all face many naysayers but support from people we love just fills up the space where their negativity tries to creep in!

yeah, @, fill us in!

to keep you guys all jazzed up, i'm 2 weeks post op today and down 16 lbs! man i'm pumped.

yay!! so glad! it really does warm my heart, we will all face many naysayers but support from people we love just fills up the space where their negativity tries to creep in!

yeah, @, fill us in!

to keep you guys all jazzed up, i'm 2 weeks post op today and down 16 lbs! man i'm pumped.

THIS!!!

So accurate. I didn't realize how much it had been weighing on me until we talked and I felt so much lighter than before. Now that I know he's behind me it's so much more relaxing.

Congrats hun! Thats aweosme!!! I wish I could have it done sooner and be on my way like you! How's the post op diet? Did they make you do a full liquid pre op? Did you have it done state side or in Mexico?

I'm so happy for you!!!!????????????

i cannot imagine!! you're lighter already :P

I did it stateside - in VA - and had a 3 day clear liquid pre-op diet and just wrapped up 2 weeks of clear liquid plus Protein shakes. As of yesterday can add in tiny amounts of apple sauce, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, grits that kind of thing. Next week on to eggs, canned tuna, etc (soft food). Then it kind of continues to progress from there. I've been lucky - I don't have trouble getting my Water or Protein in and so far so good on the mushies (although LOTS of gurgling!!).

Did your insurance cover you? I'm guessing not. How much did you pay? I'm not sure if I'll find a Surgeon here who is similar in price to MX. I'm gonna self pay, but I don't want to pay $19k

Nooo, definitely not. Total cost was $14,500 and that includes a year of post-op visits. Obviously it's a ton of money, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure its money well spent.

Just an FYI for the curious, I went the hiatal hernia route and only paid $2,030. Sleeve plus pre-op and one year post operation visits.

Just an FYI for the curious, I went the hiatal hernia route and only paid $2,030. Sleeve plus pre-op and one year post operation visits.

I've heard about this, but I'm not sure how to go about this.... and I'm not sure that my insurance covers it. Plus finding a doctor state side who is on board with low BMI vsg.... I'm hitting my head against the wall today.

My BMI was 34 during my initial consult and 33 on the day of my surgery. Nicholson Clinic is definitely on board with low BMI sleeving and they're one of the best WLS clinics in Texas. I honestly think I paid less out of pocket than most insurance-covered sleevers.

have you come across doctors who weren't on board with it? the first one i saw was very supportive. but i did go in armed with a list of all the diets, exercise programs and medications i had tried and their various results. plus a rough graph of my weight over time.

My BMI was 34 during my initial consult and 33 on the day of my surgery. Nicholson Clinic is definitely on board with low BMI sleeving and they're one of the best WLS clinics in Texas. I honestly think I paid less out of pocket than most insurance-covered sleevers.

Thats awesome! Hopefully I'll he just as lucky. Idk. I don't think my insurance will cover it.

have you come across doctors who weren't on board with it? the first one i saw was very supportive. but i did go in armed with a list of all the diets, exercise programs and medications i had tried and their various results. plus a rough graph of my weight over time.

I live in the obesity belt. Around here if your BMI isn't 40 or above they tend to shy away. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

i got the impression the private practicioners (not hospitals) like lower bmi/self pay patient. i can imagine they hate dealing with insurance companies as much as everyone else!

I did the hernia repair and my insurance covered that but did not cover my sleeve. Bummer. Good luck to you

Need to clarify. Insurance covered my hernia repair - not my sleeve. The Dr does the sleeve while he's doing the hernia repair. Dr then bills insurance for your hernia and you pay the difference for the sleeve. The difference was only like $700.

Your insurance has to cover your hernia repair if you have one.

I'm unsubscribing to the post, because I'm getting a lot of notifications in my email. But, please feel free to message me if you have questions.

Newtum! Congrats on your weight loss so far! It's so encouraging to hear first hand about others experiences!

I didn't end up having a chance to discuss with my mom, and now she's out of town for about 10 ays. When she gets home later next week I'll be sure to let her know my decision.

I'm in Canada and I know no doctor here will do the surgery for me, so my only option is Mexico. I've done so much research though and feel very comfortable with my decision to go with Dr. Ponce.