Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So glad I found this thread.

Most threads with people with low BMIs are filled with others tearing them apart for wanting to go through with WLS.

I'm 5'1 with a BMI over 28. I'm only 28 years old and my weight just keeps creeping up more and more. Even when I do stick to a strict low carb diet I can't seem to drop the weight (that's the only way I've been successful in the past).

Anyways, I've pretty much decided to go through with the surgery. I will have to do self-pay and going to Dr. Ponce in Mexico. My husband isn't super keen on it, mostly because of the typical thoughts regarding cheap Mexican surgery, but it's starting to ease up. I met with my family physician today, expecting her to jump down my throat but she was really good about it actually. The only other people I plan on telling are my parents.

Please continue sharing your post-op experience, it's making me feel a lot more comfortable and convincing me I'm doing the right thing!

I was just sleeved a week ago. BMI approx 33. Not sure if you're in Texas, but you may want to consider going the hiatal hernia route and having insurance pay for the sleeve that way. Most overweight folks have a hiatal hernia. So the WLS Doc bills the instant for the hernia repair and does your sleeve while he's in there.

That's the route I took and paid less than $2,500 out of pocket.

*instant = insurance company. (Not sure how that happened.)

Today is my four month surgiversary and I couldn't be happier. I started at 33 BMI (200 pounds) and have lost 44 pounds. My high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea are gone. I'm wearing size 8 skinny jeans and feel thinner at 156 pounds than I did at 140 pounds 20 years ago. At 53, I'm feeling awesome. People think what I did was crazy, but they can pound sand. I'd do it over in a skinny minute!

So happy to hear from you all. I'm 3.5 months post op. I am super proud to be down 40 lbs. I'm only 10 lbs to goal. I was a I of 30 at the beginning of all this

Now I'm down to bmi 22.6. Woot, woot!!

I feel so happy and grateful to have had this surgery. The weight loss is slower now so I'm hoping that I lose another 10-20 lbs. Even if I don't, life is happier and I feel free and excited and enthusiastic about life. Woot woot!!

I was sleeved 10 days ago at bmi 32 and already am SO grateful I did it! 13 lbs down already and recovery has been very manageable. Glad we have this group going!

So glad I found this thread.

Most threads with people with low BMIs are filled with others tearing them apart for wanting to go through with WLS.

THIS HAS BEEN MY EXACT EXPERIENCE!!!! I'm extremely happy I stumbled on this thread! I was being torn down so harshly that I created a new account on BP.

Apparently I'm "vain" and only wanting it done for "aesthetic" reasons because, yes I want to lose weight. But I also have a spinal disc disease that makes being over weight extremely painful.... and my kids are still young, I'd like to play with them while they still like me.

It's interesting how the very people who hate to be judged and complain about being "fat shamed", and judged for their decision or for taking "the easy way out", are the one who are doing the EXACT SAME THING to me because I don't have high blood pressure or sleep apnea, you don't know my story..... either way I'm still obese. Does it really matter? ????

Rant over.....

Now about me :) im 27yo 5'7" and 195-200 range. My BMI is just over the 30 mark. When I was 18yo I was over 200lbs. I've struggled with weight my entire life. After I had my kids in my early 20s I ballooned up to my highest ever 250lbs. I worked my tail off, and like many of you I had to literally starve myself by subsisting on less than 800 calories per day to lose weight. I was largely successful and lost 80lbs. At 170 I was still considered overweight, but it was the smallest I had been since middle school and I was thrilled, not my goal (140lbs) but I was happy nonetheless!!

Then I quit smoking about a year ago and gained 30ish lbs. No matter what I do I can't seem to lose it. I have spent 1.5 hours in the gym 4 days a week for months on end, prescription appetite suppressants, extreme low cal diets..... NOTHING IS WORKING!! It's eating me alive.... and the back pain..... geez. I had forgotten how bad it felt when I was overwieght.

I want to get sleeved so badly, but I haven't discussed it with my SO yet.... I'm not exactly sure how to bring it up yet. Still working on that. Hes one of those "it's the easy way out" types, but I think that is mainly because he hasn't ever had to deal with weight issues of any sort. Hes been in the same pant size for almost two decades.

Edited by 030608070609

You might be surprised. I expected my husband to be extremely opposed to the idea, since when he gains weight it comes right off with a few weeks of tough workouts and one less beer ;) but he said he's he wished that wasn't the only option for me but understands why it seemed like it is, given my experience. They see us struggle, I think they can be more understanding than expected!

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience here, we're on your side!!

You might be surprised. I expected my husband to be extremely opposed to the idea, since when he gains weight it comes right off with a few weeks of tough workouts and one less beer ;) but he said he's he wished that wasn't the only option for me but understands why it seemed like it is, given my experience. They see us struggle, I think they can be more understanding than expected!

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience here, we're on your side!!

I'll try to be optimistic and keep an open mind. Maybe it won't as bad as I expect. :)

I tried to go into the conversation with the attitude of knowing he wouldn't like the idea because he'd see it as the most dangerous option but trying to make sure he understood I felt like I had exercised all other reasonable options and it was a choice between struggle and fail forever or do this and succeed. Which is exactly how I DID feel!!

It's so silly but part of me wants to print off information and make notes on things I want to mention lol. Maybe while I'm at it I should create a power point ????????????

Edited by 030608070609

i did that for my parents!! i made notes. i don't think a notes OR a power point would be silly at all!! whatever helps you get your point across.

I feel like I'm crazy for wanting this. I carry my weight well, so people don't normally look at me and see how big I am now. I mean my BMI is in the low 30s.... but the few people I've mentioned it to have said that "at your weight, I don't think it's needed".... grrr.

I'm planning to talk to my mom tonight about my decision. I know she isn't going to be happy. I've briefly mentioned before that I want it and she brushed it off and told me I need to just start being happy with how I am. I know I'll feel much better just to get it off my chest that I've made up my mind, and if she doesn't support it I guess I'll just avoid the topic in the future. I know both her and my dad would be pretty upset if I did this without telling them, so I'm at least giving them the option to support me or ignore that it's going to happen.

Aiming for surgery January 6th. I don't plan on telling anyone else and I think I can probably get away with it if I do it at the start of the year. Everyone is always on a diet after New Years it seems, at least I always am, so my friends and the rest of my family won't think it's anything out of the ordinary.

I'm aiming for mid February or early march. That would be the best with my kids school schedule. Thats how I'm probably going to approach it. "This I what I'm doing, I'd like your support, but I'll do it without it."