Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just read back what a I wrote on my phone yesterday and I see that I made what I was alluding to seem like a big, high-intrigue deal, lol (sorry about that!).

What I wanted to warn about (if you are not telling anyone about your surgery) is to resist the remarks about "you're getting TOO thin" as you approach a healthy BMI of 24-25 ... I had made my new habits of Protein first, few carbs, etc,etc. second nature, but I started getting those remarks from a few female friends (whom I hadn't told) when I hit about 24.5 BMI ... I let someone convince me that I should stop being SO intense about dieting and I ended up switching to just eating less of "whatever." This worked until about 8-9 months post op (I maintained at 24.5 BMI for four months after making that change), but then I started gaining about a pound a month from months 9-13 and I put on 9 or 10 lbs in month #14 (related to taking steroids, but still). I got rid of those 9lbs from the steroid month, but the last few pounds down to a 24 BMI again are STUBBORN indeed (I won't give up).

What I want to suggest is that you plan to reduce down to a LITTLE bit below your "I'd-be-fine-with-that" goal weight DURING your honeymoon (preferably the first 6-7 months of being sleeved). Then you'll have an acceptable range to bounce up in to when the honeymoon is over and your body stops being able to shed pounds for you INSTANTLY the moment you eat virtuously/on program (many veteran sleevers are finding the change to their metabolism is not permanent and they need to REALLY work it during the honeymoon). I think this is way easier to do if you've told everyone about your surgery because they will know you have a new tool and are not just newly anorexic. If you haven't told, some folks will find your rigidity troubling and will do gentle (or not-so-gentle) interventions on you. ( I always intended to reduce to 150 when I got my sleeve, but I slowed down after 4-5 months at 154-57 when the remarks started happening. I wish to HECK now that I'd just kept my head down and gotten there because losing is a WAY slower process now.

Hope that makes sense and best wishes to all as you gear up for all the exciting changes to come!

I just read back what a I wrote on my phone yesterday and I see that I made what I was alluding to seem like a big, high-intrigue deal, lol (sorry about that!).

What I wanted to warn about (if you are not telling anyone about your surgery) is to resist the remarks about "you're getting TOO thin" as you approach a healthy BMI of 24-25 ... I had made my new habits of Protein first, few carbs, etc,etc. second nature, but I started getting those remarks from a few female friends (whom I hadn't told) when I hit about 24.5 BMI ... I let someone convince me that I should stop being SO intense about dieting and I ended up switching to just eating less of "whatever." This worked until about 8-9 months post op (I maintained at 24.5 BMI for four months after making that change), but then I started gaining about a pound a month from months 9-13 and I put on 9 or 10 lbs in month #14 (related to taking steroids, but still). I got rid of those 9lbs from the steroid month, but the last few pounds down to a 24 BMI again are STUBBORN indeed (I won't give up).

What I want to suggest is that you plan to reduce down to a LITTLE bit below your "I'd-be-fine-with-that" goal weight DURING your honeymoon (preferably the first 6-7 months of being sleeved). Then you'll have an acceptable range to bounce up in to when the honeymoon is over and your body stops being able to shed pounds for you INSTANTLY the moment you eat virtuously/on program (many veteran sleevers are finding the change to their metabolism is not permanent and they need to REALLY work it during the honeymoon). I think this is way easier to do if you've told everyone about your surgery because they will know you have a new tool and are not just newly anorexic. If you haven't told, some folks will find your rigidity troubling and will do gentle (or not-so-gentle) interventions on you. ( I always intended to reduce to 150 when I got my sleeve, but I slowed down after 4-5 months at 154-57 when the remarks started happening. I wish to HECK now that I'd just kept my head down and gotten there because losing is a WAY slower process now.

Hope that makes sense and best wishes to all as you gear up for all the exciting changes to come!

Thanks for your reply! I think it's definitely something I should keep in mind. The last time I lost a bunch of weight a friend made a comment to my mom that she didn't think I knew when to stop, and looking back, I can see how it affected me subconsciously. :( Of course I gained it all back, plus some.

I was a Bmi of 30 but after pre-op diet only 27.5. I am 5'10. I am a really good loser and have always taken the weight off fast by gain it back every time. I am 5 weeks out and now a healthy Bmi of 24.9. I was told to expect to lose a total of 32 lbs over the first year post op and have lost 21 so far. I have lost 9 pre-op and 21 post-op. I am happy if I never lose another pound and I am also happy with only 5lbs in the last 3 weeks. The goal is and always was to redefine my relationship with food. I want to eat clean and still struggle with that a little as solid foods are not going down as well as I would like.

I was a Bmi of 30 but after pre-op diet only 27.5. I am 5'10. I am a really good loser and have always taken the weight off fast by gain it back every time. I am 5 weeks out and now a healthy Bmi of 24.9. I was told to expect to lose a total of 32 lbs over the first year post op and have lost 21 so far. I have lost 9 pre-op and 21 post-op. I am happy if I never lose another pound and I am also happy with only 5lbs in the last 3 weeks. The goal is and always was to redefine my relationship with food. I want to eat clean and still struggle with that a little as solid foods are not going down as well as I would like.

I agree! My goal also is to fix my messed up relationship with food!! To change the way I eat forever! Good job on your loss that's awesome! I can't wait to be where you are!!

Hi - I had a bmi of 34 at my initial consult with surgeon and after 3 week pre-op diet was a bmi 32 on day of surgery. (9 days ago - 28th May 2015) I lost 7kg (15lb) during pre-op and have lost a further 4.5 kg (10lb) in 9 days since surgery. I didn't expect the weightloss to be so quick at my bmi... But I'm very happy so far. I'm 179cm (5ft 9) current weight 95.4kg (210lb) I'm sure the weightloss will slow down - but expecting to reach goal in the first 4 - 6 months.

I was self pay. There is no full insurance cover for WLS in New Zealand. Only a measly $5k off if you have a bmi over 40. Costs $20,000 in New Zealand.

Bobbi.

I am booked for self pay at beginning of August I am 28.5 bmi ! Please don't beat me up. I was up to 33 bmi in January and every other year of my adult life . I do have pcos and lots of family history of illnesses . I am simply tired of the work it takes to lose the same 40-50 lbs each time. 18 months ago for example I simply got insomnia and my hair falling out etc. I quit working out per naturopath and was simply tired which led to a few bad eating choices etc . I was back up to a 33 bmi in a year . I went back to the gym full force and watched carbs etc and only lost 15 lbs in 6 months. My sister is over 200 lbs and is an inch shorter which is where I would be if I didn't freak out every time I seen 200 coming close. I am just tired of working at this diet and exercise yoyo as much as I have in my lifetime. I swear looking at food I put on weight by looking at Pinterest. I workout 1 and 1/2 hours 5 days a week just to be considered overweight and not obese. And guess what - I dropped my 30 minutes cardio and am now only at the gym 1 hour 5 days a week ( 8 days ago) and have already gained 3lbs ........ How many hours and how little do I have to eat to get down in a good healthy zone to stay there?

I'm going through insurance with a BMI under 40. I'm not telling anyone but my immediate family, who is supportive of my decision.

I'm also not telling anyone about mine except my mom who is having it done the same day! I don't care if it falls off slow I know it will be a long process I know, I just don't want to gain anymore and eventually be small again! Good luck to you also!!!

I watched a YouTube video made by a bariatric surgeon all about how lower BMI surgeries are usually really successful. He says they tend to have way less (sometime no) excess skin, and tend to reach their goal within a year. I think his name is Dr. Mathew Weiner. He considered low BMI vsg anyone who is under a BMI of 37. You guys will look amazing. Good luck with your surgeries!!!!

I was a BMI of 30 on my day of surgery last September. I only told two people, hubby, of course and a work colleague. I did have issues with some of the nurses who kept telling me that I shouldn't have surgery as I wasn't fat!! I recovered from surgery really well and have had a slow steady weight loss. I've not had any regrets. Oh my BMI is now a healthy 23.

I was a BMI of 30 on my day of surgery last September. I only told two people, hubby, of course and a work colleague. I did have issues with some of the nurses who kept telling me that I shouldn't have surgery as I wasn't fat!! I recovered from surgery really well and have had a slow steady weight loss. I've not had any regrets. Oh my BMI is now a healthy 23.

I had this issue to one of the folks there asked me why I was there I seemed to thin. I told them my bmi is 32 and I qualify and I'm sick of the yo yo life style! I felt like I was being judged the entire time I was there because I was smaller than everyone but I didn't care. I know what's best for me for sure :)

My BMI is right at 35 and I have type 2 diabetes. My insurance is paying. I should be getting my surgery date tomorrow and I should be sleeved in about 3 weeks. I believe I have to do the regular 2 week preop diet. I'm excited but nervous!

Had sleeve done on 5/19/15 and my bmi at the time of the surgery was 29.8. Insurance gave no issues or problems for approval. I have dropped 16 pounds as of today but i know is gonna be a long slow process. Already feel a sense of " plateau" but i will keep on. goodluck with your journey and always ask questions because it is soo helpful to get answers even to the smallest of questions..

I don't know what my actual BMI is I go by the charts and they are wrong. So, I'm right here with u! 30 and under BMI, don't want to hear the speeches! Fat is fat! And to me I am fat! I want to change it. I don't judge anyone else only myself. I want to be healthy and strong. I am self pay, so I'm not putting it on my insurance. I'm doing it in my own! So here's to us low BMI PEEPS for starting early before our health got too bad. And congrats to ALL U SLEEVERS OUT THERE FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK! u deserve it!!!

I got sleeved on Monday of this week in TJ, Mexico. I have been a diet failure since my parents staryed taking me to doctors in second grade. I am 62 and have done every diet known to man and then some! Do any of you remember the "liquid protein" diets of the mid 70's. You were only allowed 2 oz of Protein made from boiled cow hooves. I am just a giant yo yo. I have one knee replacement and the other is giving me problems. My cholesterol is over 400 and matching tryglicerides. I have a buldging disk in my low back and I still want to enjoy my life. I did not lose much during the 2 week Protein Shake plus salad w/chicken. Since I received my sleeve, I have not lost anything on the scale but know I am hugely retaining Water. I know what is going in and I know what is going out!

At 62, I am a successful business woman with a good life. I have fought and won over Ovarian Cancer and chemo. I buried my 10 year old daughter who died in bed with me. We all have out histories but I am not going out letting food whip my ass! This one I am winning!