Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Counting Protein, Carbs?

Hi,

I had RNY on 1/29/15. To date I've lost 33 lbs. My SW was 390. I was told that I could have 45g of Protein because anything higher and I wouldn't lose any weight. I was also told not to count my carbs and calories just yet. I should be losing 3-5 lbs a week according to my NUT. I'm not doing that. I did the first 5 weeks. Should I be limiting my carbs and counting calories? Will this help to lose? I walk at least a mile a day.

For me, with my surgeon, I tried to get 90-100 grams of Protein a day. I limited carbs and did count calories. My surgery was 2/28/13 and I've lost 135 lbs, down from 291.

My minimum Protein is 50 grams but 60 is recommended. I have elected to stay away from potatoes, grains, and starches in general and eat just the lowest carbs fruits in very small amounts. I weigh and or measure and record everything. Protein is my main consumption with vegetables a far second. I am down a total of 36 pounds since surgery on 2/27/15. My surgery weight was 269.

Yours is the lowest recommend protein amount I have ever seen.

I agree with the others. I am working with a Bariatric Program of Excellence and we are told to never have less than 60 grams of Protein per day as that will allow for lean muscle loss. Bariatric patients, and others who want to lose weight, are recommend to have 80 or so per day broken up into at least three different meals as the body cannot really absorb more than 30 grams at a time. I would suggest upping your protein to help you lose weight. Good luck!

Your Protein goal seems really low. My daily goal is 70 or more. My NUT has me focused on high protein low carb eating. I am having pretty good weight loss. 54 pounds since my pre op liquid diet started the last week of January 2015.

I'm still pre-op for my revision from band to bypass, but even now, my nutritionist makes me get at least 80 grams of Protein a day.

My surgery was 1 Oct 2014 and from the start was told minimum of 60g of Protein per day. I had heard, and now experienced first hand, that lack of sufficient protein can result in Hair loss. If I am under 80g a day I notice a lot of hair loss. Keep up your protein, it not only helps with weight loss, but side effects! As for carbs I was told to keep under 15g carbs per meal.