Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. says 40 is too young...help

I just turned 27 last week and had my sleeve done 1st of july. Im sorry but your doctor is stupid and doesnt seem to know what the heck he is talking about.

The younger you do it the less complications youll get. Also you will get to experience and to live life properly at a younger age.

Ive met 3 different top famous bariatric surgeons in sweden and they say "the earlier the better".

I'm 18 and have had the surgery, age shouldn't be an issue. Obviously your unhealthy just like the rest of us and are attempting to do something about it.

It is your choice what route you take and it looks to me like you need a more supportive doctor

Edited by linseeka

He likely makes a good living on fills and un fills. Please get 2 more opinions. My band to sleeve was 2011 and o am maintaining 150 pounds loss so he is full of crap

I was 39 when sleeved last year. My doc was happy that I was tackling this issue now rather than waiting years later - when I'd be heavier and sicker.

Wow...I'm 40 and just had it done. Weight loss will always be a battle. The surgery is not a cure, it's a tool to help you change your life and only you can change. So if you choose to go back to unhealthy eating it's a choice you made.

I'm 24 and I'm getting the sleeve done and my Surgeon is happy I'm doing something about my weight before I'm on insulin for my diabetes

Yep time for a new dr. I went through Vanderbilt in Nashville which is one of the best known hospitals in the world. My dr said they won't do the band unless the patient is totally not physically able to handle any other surgery. I was sleeved a month ago today and I just turned 37. My dr was fully confident that I will reach and maintain goal.

People a lot younger than us get sleeve and bypass. It based on BMI and co-morbidities not age. I think he is a surgeon just not comfortable with sleeve but wants to keep your business. Get a second opinion. Most surgeons are moving away from band. Many of the sleeves done are lapband revisions because they are failing.

I agree with the other posters on this. There are statistics available on success rates, and I'd be curious to see your surgeon's response if you asked him about it when he told you you'll just be fat again in 5 years.

Like the others, my surgeon is moving away from banding. It sounded more like that is the result of fewer requests for it. He said all the surgeries he performed last week were sleeves.

Think of this--if you wait, you're losing valuable years that you could be living as a healthier, happier person. Most of the people here report their only regret is that they did not do it sooner.

I think that dr is a quack. I'm 40 and my daughter is 21 and we've both been sleeved recently. Not to mention the lap band is being phased out. Go to another dr

I agree with everyone else, get another opinion with another Bariatric Surgeon. My surgeon's office no longer does the Lap Band due to it's complications, like slippage and erosion. I am not saying the Lap Band is the wrong decision, I am only suggesting that you look into the sleeve or bypass as another option. I got the Gastric Sleeve on 2/8/2016 after a lot of research. Even chose a surgeon two hours away.

The doctor I went to wouldn't even do band anymore. He strictly does sleeve and bypass. So strange yours said that.

If 100percent regain is what his patients experience I would be thankful for the info and seek a surgeon with a better track record.

Yes, some regain happens, maintenance takes diligence. I lost 150# and have been maintaining. My sleeve was Dec 2011 - 4 1/4 years ago. I'll let everyone know where I am at 5years post op in Dec.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

I had a band for 2 years and it slipped and had to be taken out. Since the band, I have gained 30lbs, so I went to visit my bariatric doctor about a sleeve. He said that if he sleeved me at 40, the at 45 I would be fat again. He said it was not a good idea to take 85% of my stomach away at this age and then have nothing left to do when I'm older. He is really big on banding, but I hated the feelings I get with the band. I told him I would self pay and was ready. He said he would do it, but it would not be his recommendation. Right now, he has me on a diet and I feel like it is hopeless. What do you 40's (and others) people think? Thanks

I'm 41 and I had surgery

Falecha